PDA

View Full Version : Turbo'd 420a

ForceFed420a
01-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Brian Minchen from Spencerport NY, (just outside of Rochester), and a buddy of Brian Bucar.

Just recently finished a custom turbo kit on an Eclipse 420a with Megasquirt. Going to be boosting about 8psi.

Anyway, I met many of you at SDAC 15, and you guys were a blast. Hope all is well.

Talk to you later,
Brian

Aries_Turbo
01-11-2006, 07:13 PM
ricer..... ;) just kidding. :) it does have a T2 turbo on it :)

Brian

TurbododgePirate
01-11-2006, 11:57 PM
What exhaust manifold did you use? ~~Heath... Bucar was in my wedding last year.

Frank
01-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Welcome dude!!!! Glad you are finally here.... you slacking gazer! hehehehe

Frank

GLHS592
01-12-2006, 12:15 AM
What's a 420a?

ForceFed420a
01-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Hey Frank. YAGAZER!!!!!!!!!! (that's supposed to be one word) hehehe :)

Heath, yeah, I've heard about ya :) I'm looking forward to meeting you. Bucar's told me about your Neon and van. (I believe that's you, right?)

Forgive my forgetfulness for the other two questions' posters.

A 420a is a Chrysler motor found commonly in Neons. They slapped a different head on it (reversed the exhaust/intake sides) and threw it in Mitsu's Eclipse and Dodge Avengers as well. (That's why I'm on the turbo mopar forum, cuz my motor is a Chrysler hehehe). The motor can hold about 8-9 lbs of boost on stock internals due to ring lands that are very sensative to detonation. The motor is really good though, with a bedplate design and a reasonably strong tranny (once diff pin and clutch are replaced). I'm looking forward to building the motor more, but have to be realistic since money is the ultimate factor there.

The manifold was a custom made log manifold by a guy in Canada. It came originally with no flange, but I had a T3 flange welded on by Steve Moshier (A guy on turbododge). The turbo is mounted so the compressor side is on the left side of the motor. That created a problem though since the turbo's exhaust exit was directed up and into the radiator. So I took the exhaust housing off, and created a custom down tube, with an integrated O2 bung and my Tial external wastegate's dump tube joining it. I'll snap a picture sometime as this is probably a poor description.

I really had a blast with the guys I met at SDAC 15, and although the Eclipse wasn't there, and I wasn't really an active member of the turbododge site, you guys treated me like family. I'm also a member of 2gnt.com, but there can be a lot of arrogance from that site, which gets old quick.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Brian

GLHS592
01-12-2006, 10:35 PM
A 420a is a Chrysler motor found commonly in Neons. They slapped a different head on it (reversed the exhaust/intake sides) and threw it in Mitsu's Eclipse and Dodge Avengers as well. (That's why I'm on the turbo mopar forum, cuz my motor is a Chrysler hehehe).

I know the motor. I just didn't know the 420a designation. Us Americans just call them what they are (Chrysler 2.4 four cylinder). The Japs gotta put a super special alphanumeric code on them to make it sound cool. :p

ForceFed420a
01-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Hehehe, you mean you don't like the TL, RL, TSX, RSX, IS300, SC430, GS, M......Wow, that was just off the top of my head, and I coulda kept going! :)

Well, truth be told, it's actually just a 2.0 Liter. I was told that 420a was the Chrysler managment called it the 420a for whatever reason (maybe 4 cyl, 2.0 L, "a" for awesome? hehe, I have no idea).

I do agree with you though, the alpha-numeric numbering/lettering is getting outta hand. :)

Brian

MrRide2Low
01-12-2006, 11:31 PM
I know the motor. I just didn't know the 420a designation. Us Americans just call them what they are (Chrysler 2.4 four cylinder). The Japs gotta put a super special alphanumeric code on them to make it sound cool. :p

uhhh his is a eclipse, it's a 2.0, not 2.4 and also if you goto a engine shop then they will use the engine code, not what it is called by the public

GLHS592
01-12-2006, 11:35 PM
I had 2.4 on the brain. It was a typo. I know he said 2.0. I've never heard it called a 420a by anybody with a Neon.

super60dodge
01-13-2006, 01:23 AM
Hehehe, you mean you don't like the TL, RL, TSX, RSX, IS300, SC430, GS, M......Wow, that was just off the top of my head, and I coulda kept going! :)

Hay! you forgot GLH, GLHS, CSX, CSX-T, VNT, R/T, SRT and well.... you get the point:)

TrrboJeep
01-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Welcome Brian (ForceFed2.0L) ;)

So you turbo'ed a NA motor... cool! One of these days I'm going to throw a turbo on the 5.7L Hemi in my Ram, and fuel it with Mega Squirt! (as well as alky of course) It is a 2500, so I believe the drive train will hold up just fine.
A Cummins IC should bolt right in.... one of these days! (when my son gets old enough to help) :D

There sure are a lot of Brians/ Bryans on here! :p

ForceFed420a
01-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Welcome Brian (ForceFed2.0L) ;)

So you turbo'ed a NA motor... cool! One of these days I'm going to throw a turbo on the 5.7L Hemi in my Ram, and fuel it with Mega Squirt! (as well as alky of course) It is a 2500, so I believe the drive train will hold up just fine.
A Cummins IC should bolt right in.... one of these days! (when my son gets old enough to help) :D

There sure are a lot of Brians/ Bryans on here! :p

Hey Joel! I like the new name (Forcefed2.0L) hehehe :)

I think I met you at the track at SDAC. I didn't have my car there, so I wouldn't blame you for not remembering me that well (that's how I have to be with names, like my wife will say "Do you remember so and so?" and I'll say.....uh.......no....and she'll say "remember the ones with the PT Cruiser Turbo"......OH YEAH!!!!!!!) Am I the only one who does that? I doubt it :)

Yeah, I turbo'd a N/A car. Megasquirt is really fun to use, and I can't wait till spring to drive the car again. That would be amazing (your plans) hehe :)

Brian

turboaddict
02-14-2006, 03:19 AM
alittle off topic i have my 97 eclipse that once was a mid 13 second car all motor. how have you been doing on transmissions? this is my 4th. all the go fast stuff is gone and im done with the thing now just curious.

Soble
03-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Yo minchen whats up u gayzer

Frank
03-31-2006, 07:50 PM
Hmmm... warsaw... has to be one of the greasy italians or scotty.

frank

Aries_Turbo
04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
nope.... its Josh Soble he goes to church with me.

Brian