PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Ram 1500/9.25 rear question....

Birddog
11-17-2006, 09:12 PM
I'm in the middle of packing and moving he77 right now...

Borrowed dad's truck to move the majority of our junk up to the inlaws farm.
On the way back I started hearing a constant ringing kind of noise from the rear, so first thing I check is the drums, it sounds like shoes dragging really....
Not the rears, I adjusted the shoes till there was NO pedal and still had the noise.
I rebuilt the T-case and trans 8 months ago and honestly dont THINK it's there.

Would rear wheel bearings or maybe pinion bearing make this kind of noise??

Does anyone know if the 9.25 outta a 91 Ramcharger swap in?? I have one of those with the same gear sitting out back but ran out of daylight so measurements have to wait till tomorrow..

This REALLY pains me cause the dang truck is REALLY clean with 80k on the clock and it's starting to have the same issues that I had with mine which forced me to sell while I could!!:(

Thanks for ANY input in advance....

Stevien1
11-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Rear axle bearings usually make noise when turning, since that's when they're loaded the most. Bad pinion bearings make kind of a higher pitch noise which obviously changes with road speed. Bad differental bearings make a deeper growling noise. Either way, it's rebuild time. :(

Since you stated that you where hauling stuff, its very possible you finished off a bearing that getting ready to go. Not 100% on the Ramcharger axle swap- you'll have to give it a good look.

Clay
11-18-2006, 12:51 AM
lots of people have had lots of problems with the carrier bearings in the early genII ram 9.25 rear ends. SO my bet is they are on the way out, and the rear end needs rebuilt before it goes completely.

have fun with that too! Need at least one special tool to back the adjusters out for that rear end. You have to go in through the axles with a long extension w/ special hex driver.

clay

JDAWG
11-18-2006, 12:57 AM
speaking from having sold do many, if it needs a rebuild, buy a Jasper

Birddog
11-18-2006, 01:50 AM
lots of people have had lots of problems with the carrier bearings in the early genII ram 9.25 rear ends. SO my bet is they are on the way out, and the rear end needs rebuilt before it goes completely.

have fun with that too! Need at least one special tool to back the adjusters out for that rear end. You have to go in through the axles with a long extension w/ special hex driver.

clay

speaking from having sold do many, if it needs a rebuild, buy a Jasper
Had no idea there was a recurring issue! And I'm not as stupid as many may think.....Anyhoo though it's not mine:) ....No rebuild here... For the same dough I can get a used one drum to drum,maybe a freebie......Then ditch the truck and buy brand X!!

Or a real Ram..... pre 94....

Birddog
11-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys... I checked it today and looks like the carrier bearings.....
I think it may be due to improper lubrication as the oil is like molasses in color but the consistancy of honey. Gonna ask dad if he put anything in there. (like Lucas stuff)

Ramcharger rear is too short drum to drum so it's off to the salvage yards...