PDA

View Full Version : Poor boosting?

Jasmeleg08
11-15-2006, 09:29 PM
So for the past 3 weeks I have been working off and on on my daytona. I finally got it put back together today and started it up. Started up fine. Let it warm up then looked inside and I am only getting ~11in of vac at idle. I think damn I messed up the cam timing. Not really knowing how to change cam timing I take it around the block to see how she fells. It will boosts really really slow. The turbo lag is so great at 4500rpm I am getting maybe 9lbs of boost. It has never run this this before. It is the stock Garret and stock everything. Hooked up through stock solinoid and everthing. I got and barrow a friends timing light and chack the ing. timing and it is alittle off so I get it back to where is it suppost to be. Then take it out again. Same story boosts alittle better but still not what it is suppost to be. The original problem was the headgasket. I had the head all resurfaced I am running a .02" shim not because I had the head machined down that much but because the car already had one. The thing is is that the other copper shim seemed to be more thin than this one. I don't know if that is just in my head or what. But does this sound like it would be caused by cam timing? Do I need to more it a tooth over? If so which way? How do you change the cam timing without like having to totally take the belt off? Anyone have a how to? I lined the little hole on up with the first unbroken rib on the vc was this right?

Anonymous_User
11-16-2006, 02:31 AM
Sounds like cam timing. Loosen the tensioner and slide the belt off of the cam pulley carefully so as not to allow the belt to slip off of either the crank pulley or the oil pump pulley. Then simply rotate the cam sprocket one tooth (top towards the front of the car as it sounds like your cam timing is retarted). Put everything back together.

Turbodave
11-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Rather than just rotating the pulley and guessing if it's right, turn the engine so that #1 piston is at TDC and the oval hole on the cam pulley is up. Then take the timing belt off the pulley, and move the pulley so the two arrows line up with the parting line for the cam cap (use a mirror to see it better). Put the belt back on, tension it and rotate the engine two revolutions and then double-check it before you button it all back up.

turbovanmanČ
11-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Another easy way is a paint pen. Mark the center of the valve cover, its in between 2 ribs and paint a line down to the round cam cap portion. Now mark the back of the cam gear at the center. Set up engine at TDC and you can instantly see if your lined up.

Jasmeleg08
11-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Well I retimed it and still is not boosting right. It was off one tooth but still doesn't want to boost very good. Before you would hear the turbo spool at 2k now you can't hear anything. All you hear is it spooling at 4k then making some boost. I have the WG line unhooked and it doesn't change anything. The engine seems more strong now they it is timed different but without boost it has nothing. I mean I drove the car before without boost and it felt the same as it does now. Why is it not making boost? The turbo had no shaft play at all. I made sure to preload the oiling system so I didn't starve the turbo of oil on start up. It is a stock early garret adapted to run T2 and it ran perfect like that before tear down. My WG is funtioning perfect. If you open it manually it will spring shut very well and moves freely.

turbovanmanČ
11-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Did you reset the timing?
If its not boosting, it could be the wastegate is weak. If your timing is good, hook the wastegate up to manifold vacuum, you should get 4-6 psi.

Jasmeleg08
11-17-2006, 09:15 AM
I can't get 4-6lbs of boost as it is. Is their any other way to tell if the car is out of time? My WG was fine before I tore it apart and I didn't touch it while it was out.

Anonymous_User
11-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Did you lose the little clip that holds the waste gate actuator arm to the wastegate itself?

turbovanmanČ
11-17-2006, 05:41 PM
You still didn't mention if you rechecked the ignition timing.

Whats your idle vacuum at now?

Jasmeleg08
11-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah I rechecked ingnition timing and it was dead on. Idle vacuum is at 12-14ins. Better than what it was but still not perfect. Should I just bump it up another tooth to see how it runs?

cordes
11-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Yeah I rechecked ingnition timing and it was dead on. Idle vacuum is at 12-14ins. Better than what it was but still not perfect. Should I just bump it up another tooth to see how it runs?

You cam timing is still off if that is all the vac you are seeing.

Jasmeleg08
11-18-2006, 05:54 PM
I was messing with ign. timing today I would change it then go test it and it seems that around 3* advanced it run the best. Still not like it use to but better than it did. I am going outside right now to see if bumping it up one tooth will help.

cordes
11-18-2006, 09:12 PM
I was messing with ign. timing today I would change it then go test it and it seems that around 3* advanced it run the best. Still not like it use to but better than it did. I am going outside right now to see if bumping it up one tooth will help.

Set the timing per the dodge garage, and all will be well. No sense just guessing by moving the belt one way or the other.

Jasmeleg08
11-18-2006, 11:35 PM
I did, it didn't work. The car still doesn't run the way it should. I bumped it one tooth more and set the timing more. When bumping one tooth it just changed the power band and same with the ign. timing. I am starting to think it is something with my turbo. The turbo had no shaft play and spun freely. I will try afixing something to the WG to make is stay closed.

cordes
11-19-2006, 01:26 AM
I did, it didn't work. The car still doesn't run the way it should. I bumped it one tooth more and set the timing more. When bumping one tooth it just changed the power band and same with the ign. timing. I am starting to think it is something with my turbo. The turbo had no shaft play and spun freely. I will try afixing something to the WG to make is stay closed.

Is the vac to around 17-18 in.hg? If not, there is some thing wrong still. wiring the WG shut will only break things when the timing is out like that. Perhaps do a compression check to make sure that there is not a blown HG, or a cracked piston?

Jasmeleg08
11-19-2006, 02:24 AM
Is the vac to around 17-18 in.hg? If not, there is some thing wrong still. wiring the WG shut will only break things when the timing is out like that. Perhaps do a compression check to make sure that there is not a blown HG, or a cracked piston?
Haha I know it isn't eigher of those because the HG is new and it is a reman. block. If the cam was off 2 teeth the car wouldn't even run right? The engine runs strong but the turbo doesn't seem to boost. I mean it boosts but not nearly what it should/use to. I am getting 115 of compression across the board. I hope adding such a big space didn't hurt me. Could it? I really did't need I am I kinda did but not nearly .02". I only had .006" machined off. I don't have any noticeable vacuum leaks. Why if my cam timing is off does it through off vacuum? All I have heard is that is what it does not why it does it.

5sp. mini
11-19-2006, 10:33 AM
there a timing problem i feel so bad that he,s had a problem with this car after i sold it to him but we have been moving and i don,t have time to help. the turbo was new when i put it on and has a older big wg. it pulled 14 psi before so like he said the trubo worked fine before hg. i would say to start from scrach there are hard to get all the marks line up and keep that way. also mark all your mark with nail polish to see beter. and when setting the crank and oil pump drive have someone watch the timing mark and make sure it stays on 0 deg. and the dist rotor is pointing at 1 plug wire. alan

turbovanmanČ
11-19-2006, 05:02 PM
If your cam timing is off, the turbo won't spool properly. You vacuum is too low hence you have a dead/weak cylinder or your cam timing is off. Is it a stock cam?

Jasmeleg08
11-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Well I was driving it today and it seems that if you roll into the gas and don't just go WOT it will lets the turbo spool better. Still not the best but still it will boost to ~14(just below cut out) at around 4k. Not nearly what it use to be. It use to get at at about 2500-3000. Is there anyone around Neo ohio that would maybe want to come over to my house and help me set the timing right? I mean I have all the tools and stuff but maybe a second mind will help.