PDA

View Full Version : Bad Crash at VW event Sunday

2.216VTurbo
11-13-2006, 10:27 AM
It started off as a great day. The season finally VW drag event was to be at Fontana raceway and as a 'side contest' there was a gathering of 'street cars' at Nick's Burgers in Fullerton at 5 am. Contest was that the car who showed up at Nick's then DROVE the 40+ miles to the raceway and turned the quickest ET in any class would walk away with $2,200.:D The purse started at $500. and vendors as well as regular race fans started chipping in from the Inet forum cal-look.com until it hit $2,200.

I help my neighbor Pat crew sometimes for his 80"wheelbase #1450 lb turbo/aircooled VW tube chassis 68 Fiat Spyder. 400 WHP and 1450 lbs makes for a very quick (allbeit VERY tough to drive with that wheelbase) car. It has been 9.40's @ 148 once this season and we know it has a 9.20 hiding in it somewhere...

The Nick's event was a natural for him as he is fully reged/insured and cruises short disances on the street. The mood at Nick's was festive and 7 cars decided to try for the side money. Imagine cars as fast as Slowe's, Stramer's, Pachner's, Beuaregaurd's driving 40 miles on the freeways to the track:cool: It was a site to see-except from the cheap seats driving Pat's tow rig/trailer I didn't get to see many of the 'spirited blasts' that happened on the way.

When we got to the track the idle was way high on the Fiat, we'd been there before when the custom aluminum plenum had split a seam along a weld. Sure enough the burble and backfire or two in the manifold during the drive had created three cracks:( A few calls on a Sunday found a race freindly VW machine shop that could weld it-20 miles away. Pulled the manifold and got it there,welded, and installed on the car with only 10 minutes left to qualify for the Pro-Mod class. At the line the car left hard went to the left a bit (like it's done many times) then lost 100 or so horsepower:o 11.7 @105 made him bottom qualifier but in the pits we found that the TB to turbo silicon hose had popped off during the run. We were in a hurry when we reassembled the manifold, but the crew chief certainly should have checked it:o Anyway first round of eliminations, E-Boost controller is cranked to 30PSI (the motor had only ever been to 25 to make the 400 HP but heck, it's the last race of the season and that low 9 is in there) Car left hard (usually a 1.26-1.30 60') and went left HARD:( Kissed the left wall at about 400' mark, what looked like a glancing blow broke the steering box (we think) because Pat had no steering after that. Car turned 90 degrees to the right and headed over to smack the right wall so hard the fuel cell ruptured and a 25' + ball fo fire shot up from the C16 Very scary stuff but the car has it's 8 second cert and Pat was able to scramble out of the burning car without any heat damage to himself. His car had pushed the K barrier back 4' or so! He is pretty banged up but what amazed me is how all the big racing families came over to help with getting the car secured back to his trailer and then decided not to race anymore becuse 'the fun had gone out of it' as one racer told me:(

This is going to be one of those worthless without pics posts but every picture I shot yesterday on my camera didn't store for some reason. I did shoot the whole sequence on Pat's vid camera and no doubt it will show up on Cal-Look.com if you want to check in over there.

mcsvt
11-13-2006, 10:40 AM
:( Really glad he is ok though. Sounds like a brutal crash.

I have seen a beetle flip before and slide on it's roof for a decent distance.

Frank
11-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Our gallery does support video uploads... just needs to be below 10MB.

Glad he is ok!!!! If that barrier didnt move, wow... might not have gotten out.

Frank

devlish
11-13-2006, 10:45 AM
ouch! glad he is ok. better luck next year. i assume he'll rebuild and try for that low 9 again?

Dave
11-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Wow. Go read their forums. I can't believe how nice everyone is. They've already started a fund for him rebuilding it. I guess no one else raced after that?

That looked to be such an awesome car too:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/VWsEatV8s/prafinale/100_2059.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/VWsEatV8s/prafinale/100_2057.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/VWsEatV8s/prafinale/100_2042.jpg

R/T
11-13-2006, 01:55 PM
And friends, THIS is why there are NHRA chassis regulations!!!

Glad he's "OK", that was a cool car.... :(

devlish
11-13-2006, 01:58 PM
whoa! that IS a cool car. hope he gets it rebuilt and is even better next year!

Mike_Shepard
11-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Good to hear he is okay.

2.216VTurbo
11-13-2006, 09:43 PM
After the crash Pat thought maybe he had enough racing or enough of that car, the outpouring of support from the world wide VW community have kind of shocked him:faint: He is recieving heartfelt offers from folks he knows and plenty he doesn't in other countries! There are already four different donor cars to choose from (it will need to be rebodied at the least:( ) and most of the winner's from the day's event have donated their winnings to the rebuild effort:thumb: A paypal account was even set up to help out. He is just such a humble guy that he doesn't know how to feel, maybe that's why so many people in his community have stepped up. I know I'll be helping him wrench for free from now on- I used to charge him all the Coors Light I could drink while we worked. I guess that means I show up with a 12'er on wrench nights;) It evens out, he is the guy who does all my TIG welding on the TD projects:D

turbovanmanČ
11-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Glad he's ok, :thumb:

Its so nice to have a community that steps in when needed.