PDA

View Full Version : 12V to starter

89DaytonaTII
01-10-2006, 11:05 PM
If a 12v supply is hooked up to a starter which is out of the car it should engage and spin, correct?

trying to diagnose if I have two dud starters, and I need to get to school in the morning :p

supercrackerbox
01-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Yes it should, assuming it is also grounded.

87glhs232
01-11-2006, 02:48 AM
hold on to that badboy (or secure it some other way). it'll torque it's self all over the place!

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2006, 02:53 AM
WRONG WRONG WRONG, SHEESH GUYS!

You need to put 12 volts to the big lug, then touch and hold 12volts to the little lug. Yeah, make sure its in a vise or your standing on it.

89DaytonaTII
01-11-2006, 03:28 PM
yeah I had it wrong. I didn't realize that the small terminal also took a + charge and the starter grounded itself. All is fine well and good now though.

I don't know why people complain about R&R'ing a starter though, it was easy as pie. Took me longer to take off/apart the air box to get to the top two bolts than it did to actually get the starter itself out of the car?

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2006, 05:35 PM
yeah I had it wrong. I didn't realize that the small terminal also took a + charge and the starter grounded itself. All is fine well and good now though.

I don't know why people complain about R&R'ing a starter though, it was easy as pie. Took me longer to take off/apart the air box to get to the top two bolts than it did to actually get the starter itself out of the car?

I agree, its easy as pie. I have to remove the turbo brace but thats it.

johnl
01-11-2006, 06:43 PM
As for difficult starter R & R, that applies to some of the 80's cars, such as my 85 GLHT. The top bolt threads in from on top of the starter and below the exhaust manifold instead of from the easy top of the trans side.

The fix is to get the later starter and drill out the threads in the bell housing so that the bolt will thread in from on top of the transmission.

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2006, 07:16 PM
As for difficult starter R & R, that applies to some of the 80's cars, such as my 85 GLHT. The top bolt threads in from on top of the starter and below the exhaust manifold instead of from the easy top of the trans side.

The fix is to get the later starter and drill out the threads in the bell housing so that the bolt will thread in from on top of the transmission.

Done those 2, doesn't seem that much harder but then, I do have a hoist, :amen:

J&H Ryan
01-19-2006, 02:23 AM
I agree, its easy as pie. I have to remove the turbo brace but thats it.
How about when the turbo brace is so rusted it wont move? That was hell on earth for me, but it can be done (axles were in as well)

turbovanmanČ
01-19-2006, 02:40 AM
How about when the turbo brace is so rusted it wont move? That was hell on earth for me, but it can be done (axles were in as well)

Thats when the cutting torch becomes involved, :nod: