PDA

View Full Version : Tap and die... never used one

Dave
11-10-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm trying to run a tap into my homemade MBC. I went out today and bought a tap and die kit.... but um.. :D I've never used one before and don't know what to do. I'm unfamiliar with everything in this kit.

I feel really stupid asking this, so be easy on me.

Thanks.

BadAssPerformance
11-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Are you chasing threads that are already exist or making new threads?

If the first, figure out what threads you have (possibly pipe threads) and then thread the same size tap or die in ot on it.

If the second, figure out what size thread you want, drill the hole or machine the OD to the proper blank size then use the correct tap or die as needed ;)

So to start off.. what exactly are you doing?

Dave
11-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Okay I need to make the hole a little bigger. It's already hollowed out, but I need a 10x1.5. The hole is a tad smaller. How do I know which size bit to drill for the tap? So basically I'm making new threads.

Thanks, JT.

-Bryan

2.216VTurbo
11-10-2006, 07:10 PM
The tap/die set will have a chart with the correct size drill to use with each tap. Also, you need a very secure place to hold the work you are tapping, vice grips ain't gonna cut it! Clamp it securely in the vice, also cutting fluid helps most materials clear chips. WD-40 will work but something a little heavier is better like PB Blaster.

BadAssPerformance
11-10-2006, 07:10 PM
8.5mm drill

http://www.newmantools.com/tapdrill.htm

BadAssPerformance
11-10-2006, 07:11 PM
The tap/die set will have a chart with the correct size drill to use with each tap. Also, you need a very secure place to hold the work you are tapping, vice grips ain't gonna cut it! Clamp it securely in the vice, also cutting fluid helps most materials clear chips. WD-40 will work but something a little heavier is better like PB Blaster.

+1 on the cutting fluid... WD-40, PB, 3-in-1, 10w40, but it also depends on teh material... if it is soft like brass, might not need anything.

Dave
11-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Ah! Okay thanks guys. I don't know what I did. I must've used too big of a drill bit, I have no idea what size it is, it's just laying in a box. Anyways it seemed an okay size to use, but drilled it out, tapped it with a 10x1.5 then ran the bolt through it. The bolt feels kind of loose until it gets to the end of the threads. By loose I mean it wobbles back and forth. Maybe that's because it's tapered and I don't have much threads inside the unit.

Little off here, but does anyone know where I can order different size check balls?

BadAssPerformance
11-11-2006, 01:00 AM
By loose I mean it wobbles back and forth. Maybe that's because it's tapered and I don't have much threads inside the unit.

Little off here, but does anyone know where I can order different size check balls?

Does it get tight when it is seated?

McMaster Carr