PDA

View Full Version : A complicated motor break-in question.

TurbododgePirate
11-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Well, I am starting to see the light at the end of a long.... long tunnel.

Very soon I will be purchasing a megasquirt capable of controlling fuel and spark on my new motor.

That new motor is a 2.4 with 8.5:1 compression JE's, INDY Cylinder head, Mexican turbo manifold, Holset HY35 turbo, 92PPH blueprinted injectors, SRT4 intercooler. All the goodies, and megasquirt to control all of it.

Now here's the problem(s). This is a fresh motor. I have read that you shouldn't break in a motor with a new turbo on it if you can avoid it. But there are plenty of turbo cars out there that get broken in when new... with the turbo in place. So is this just hogwash? I am considering putting a inline filter in the turbo oil line just in case, and start it that way.

In addition, while I am going to spend hours upon hours getting the right info so that the car will start, idle ,and run the first time I am concerned that I maye have to tune during the break in period, and that it could adversely effect the break in of the motor.

I am I just overanalyzing the situation? Should I just get the motor in, wired up, fire it up, and break it in? With all the $$$$$$$ I have dumped into this wreck in the past 4 years I want to make sure I screw up as little as possible.

Any thoughts?

turbovanmanČ
11-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Who said you can't break a motor in with boost? You need to get it running and go break it in. Idling it and messing around with it will comprimise the ring seal if you can't go beat on it.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8676

TurbododgePirate
11-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks Simon, thats what I was starting to think. The thought conveyed was that metal shavings in the oil could compromise the oil seals in the new turbo. I am going to put a TurbosUnleashed filter inline so that won't be an issue.

11secGLH
11-08-2006, 06:49 PM
If its built right there shouldn't be any shavings IMO.

turbovanmanČ
11-08-2006, 09:19 PM
If its built right there shouldn't be any shavings IMO.

There will always be crap in the oil after a new engine is started. Unless you work in NASA, It aint gonna happen. :D

BadAssPerformance
11-08-2006, 09:23 PM
dirty particulate, yes.. shavings? Hmm... might want to clean it a little better.

turbo oil filter is a great idea.

turbovanmanČ
11-08-2006, 09:25 PM
dirty particulate, yes.. shavings? Hmm... might want to clean it a little better.

turbo oil filter is a great idea.

Holy f#ck, for the nit pickers, crud, metal particles, fluff, particulate etc etc, :censored:

TurbododgePirate
11-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Holy f#ck, for the nit pickers, crud, metal particles, fluff, particulate etc etc, :censored:

Hopefully there's no holy f#ck in the lines... that could really screw up the turbo seals.:D

Whorse
11-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Hopefully there's no holy f#ck in the lines...

HAHAHAHAHAH! I Love it. I agree with the turbo oil filter comment. Change the oil after the break in, but you already know that.

Turbodave
11-09-2006, 12:42 PM
If your messing with the fuel and spark settings initially there is a good chance you'll have it running rich and possibly dilute the oil with fuel, not a good thing for a healthy engine. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change the oil once you've got it tuned decently and before you start driving it, but otherwise all of the above is great advice.

Clay
11-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Personally, I would try to start the thing with the wastegate disconnected, and with a stock-ish computer. Get its initial break in completed (about 20 or 30 minutes), THEN run it with the untuned MS. Unless you have a good approximate tune for the MS to start with.

mpgmike
11-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm with Clay. I'm helping my brother do virtually the same thing you're doing and we're wiring the wastegate open and running stock computer and injectors for the initial break in. Then, it's hacking time! MS, here we come!

Mike
www.PowreHaus.com

Dave
11-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Hopefully there's no holy f#ck in the lines... that could really screw up the turbo seals.:D

lmfao hahaha :lol: I have nothing to contribute to this thread.

show-off
11-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Here is my suggestion. I have said this to many of my friends. We had issues with my buddies Evo b/c it was all fresh and he was pretty radical and no one had close to the same set-up so he had to start from scratch on AEM stand alone. My other buddies 240sx completely built is having issues too.

The motor should be running properly in stock conditions before you swap anything over. If you have an SRT parts car for your Charge swap, I would suggest putting the stock injectors and computer on the car to break it in. Once you get a 100 miles or so and know the car is running problem free, then swap to the megasquirt and bigger injectors over. That ensures your car is atleast running properly. Then when you swap over the injectors and tune the megasquirt on the dyno you have a lot less to worry about.

If you don't have a parts car, good luck! Those 92pph might not be too fun to get to start. Just my opinion.

turbovanmanČ
11-09-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm with Clay. I'm helping my brother do virtually the same thing you're doing and we're wiring the wastegate open and running stock computer and injectors for the initial break in. Then, it's hacking time! MS, here we come!

Mike
www.PowreHaus.com

Why would you wire the wastegate open? boost helps the rings seat.

mpgmike
11-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Because my brother insists on building an '89 Prelude (gag, choke, cough). Since it didn't come stock with a turbo, we can't have boost until we swap over to the MS. Hey, I love my brother and I can't tell him what kind of car to like any more than I can tell him whom to marry.

Mike