PDA

View Full Version : Late G/J-Body Dash Pod

MiniMopar
11-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Thought I'd show you my dash pod for the Daytona. It's an 86, but it has a 1990 interior. Came out pretty good, I think...easily in view. The pod on top is an Autometer piece for some kind of Dodge truck that was heavily modified. It has boost, fuel pressure, and EGT. The bottom two are mounted to a plate where the factory CD player goes. They are oil pressure and oil temperature.

http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/daytona/interior-resurrection-center-console.jpg

Frank
11-08-2006, 06:28 PM
So where can I get one?

MiniMopar
11-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Here it is:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM%2D15002&N=700+0&autoview=sku

The contour needs some tweaking to get it to fit flush with the console. I used a compass to scribe the front and kept removing material from the back so that angle was correct. I used tin snips to do it, as they are easy to control.

The pod has an internal aluminum bracket that is glued on and needs to be removed. I heated the *bracket* with a heat gun and slowly separated the bracket from the ABS plastic by slipping a thin, sharp scraper between them. You don't want to distress the plastic because then you will get a white spot on the outside.

Then I made some aluminum brackets, roughed them and the inside of the pod up with 60-grit, drilled holes in the brackets and scored the plastic with a knife. Then the brackets were JB Welded to the pod. I drill no holes in the dash. The rear bracket hook is attached with exterior grade automotive double-sided tape and the two side brackets snap on using those super heavy duty velcro strips. The tubing/wiring runs down the driver's side where you can't really see it and tucks in behind that trim that goes along the bottom of the guage cluster.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/dash-pod-bottom-sm.jpg

MiniMopar
11-08-2006, 06:42 PM
I bought this thing WAY back in 2004. There were like 5 dash pods from Autometer to choose from back then. Now there are many more and perhaps there is one that requires fewer mods. Not plug-n-play, but the result was pretty good I think.

BadAssPerformance
11-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Looks good Russ! :thumb:

The new interior look good in there!

MiniMopar
11-09-2006, 02:55 AM
Thanks...yeah, I'm really liking the car. It took forever to do, but it was worth it in the end. It has the best of everything "Daytona" in my opinion and lots of other goodies to boot. Still a couple of bugs to work out, but nothing serious. Overall I am rather shocked that it came together so well at the end, given how much time had passed since I parked it.

This thing was a dog with the old powertrain, but now it spins the tires in 2nd (it has a Quaife) with only 7psi of boost...LOL.

BadAssPerformance
11-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Sweet!

Turbodave
11-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Looks great Russ, can't wait to see it in person.

buckdizzy
11-09-2006, 11:50 AM
That looks really good..Was the automatic climate control a G body option? Always wanted to put that in my IROC.

MiniMopar
11-09-2006, 11:58 AM
I got it out of an 87 LeBaron Coupe and fashioned by own mini harness for it that plugs into the 86 factory dash harness. If you find one, take EVERYTHING. The controller, the entire HVAC unit, and don't forget about the respirator behind the instrument cluster. I didn't know about it and had you build my own.

The 1990+ one is a little different. It looks a bit more sophisticated and has an extra sensor or two.

BadAssPerformance
11-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Seeing Russ' interior in person last night... it looks awesome! :thumb: The whole car looks good... nice '86 CS, makes me want another 1st gen G-body again...

MiniMopar
11-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the kind words, all. Had a bit of fun romping on it on the way home.

BadAssPerformance
11-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the kind words, all. Had a bit of fun romping on it on the way home.

I bet you did... :thumb: the cool air last night was awesome, I dont think it will turn out but I tried to get a pic of the speedo breaking the shadow's previous record ;)

shmedley
11-13-2006, 12:50 AM
That looked great. Looked like it was done at the factory like that...

Runner
01-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Looks great all around, Russ. It is the best of all worlds! Love the ATC, I too would like to put it into my R/T. I've seen a few of 'em in the yards, but they're always in NYers, so the head unit is silver, seeing that in black tells me that's the way to go. Who was it that put one of those dashes into an L-body again? That was a few years back now...

I imagine the 80's ATC's would be 'standalone', and the 90's SBEC ones would be hooked in with the body computer some way. Time to crack out those '89 and '91 shop manuals again...

Mario
01-10-2007, 02:45 AM
Very nice. I love the 90' Interiors. Especially the way they did the center console.

What kind of wideband is that?