PDA

View Full Version : MiniDash for PalmOS (Beta3)

ShelGame
11-08-2006, 04:17 PM
OK, the OS 3.5.x compatibility issues seem to be fixed!

Beta 3 is now posted. Here are the updates:

1) If you change preferences, MiniDash will now properly re-initialize the serial coms so that you don't have to re-start to get data.

2) Updated graphics; should be a little faster and use a little less memory; fixed a "flicker" issue on OS5.x devices.

3) Fixed the serial issue on OS3.5.x. Some of the graphics updates were also to support OS3.5.x...

Same link as before, but here it is again:

MiniDash Beta 3 (http://www.squirrelpf.com/shelgame/MiniDash/MiniDash-Installer.exe)

ShelGame
11-09-2006, 10:42 PM
If anyone is lokoing for a Palm, I have 2 for sale here (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=94477#post94477).

ShelGame
11-09-2006, 10:44 PM
For more info on MiniDash (including a screenshot), look here (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8435) and here (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8682).

ShelGame
11-10-2006, 02:18 PM
If you're looking for cables for your Palm, these guys seem to have a huge selection - PN Technologies (http://www.pcables.com/index.html)

ShelGame
11-13-2006, 10:33 AM
I may have found a supplier for cables for all of the Palm devices. Palm III series might be tough due to limited supply of that connector. The others should be no problem. With any luck, they'll have a built-in line-level converter when required. I'll post an update later...

mcsvt
11-13-2006, 10:35 AM
^^That would be great. What do you think the price range will be?

ShelGame
11-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Not sure. They won't be cheap. These will essentially be custom cables, hand-built. GPS-to-Palm cables are similar, and they go for $30-40. With the line-level converter built in, I would expect it to get up to maybe $50-60.

Keep in mind also, that the Chrysler SCI cable for the scantools goes for ~$30.

It really depends on the cost and availability of the SCI connector...

ShelGame
11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Has anyone tried the latest build? Any feedback?

For the next build, I'm going to add an indicator showing whether or not MiniDash is in record mode. Right now, you have no way of knowing if it's actually recording anything. There'll be an "R" flashing in the lower left corner when recording. Possibly a "P" for playback mode.

I'm open to other suggestions...

XR Tuner
11-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Here is a place that has Palm connectors. http://pc-mobile.net/conn.htm
If you look in the Chem file section they have the pinout for the data link connector
Here is the Palm pinout http://pinouts.ru/PDA/palm_iii_pinout.shtml
Does the interface board have to be the same as Chad's?
I have seen a couple of circuits that use the Max chip but don't have the two transistors and a couple of resistors like his does.
The only problem I have is that my car is a 92 Shadow which has a SBEC II,so I guess i am out of luck on using this thing.

altered7151
11-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Rob, you said there was a users manual included in the installer program, I cant seem to find it anywhere. Where's that located?

ShelGame
11-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Look for it under ...\Program Files\PalmOne\Installed Packages\MiniDash\MiniDashUser.pdf

I don't like where the installer puts it. I need to figure out how to put it where I want.

Darkapollo
11-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Ive got 2 Palms, a Palm VII and a Handspring Trio. I know nothing about them. Will this program work on either of them?

ShelGame
11-14-2006, 10:32 AM
It will run on both of them now problem. But, to connect to the car and get data, you need a serial port.

The VII should be fine. It has an RS232 serial port. You'll need a cable and a line-level converter. You'll want to use Afterburner (an overclocking utility) to get decent performance, though. Probably will need to clock it up to 26-28Mhz. You can run MiniDash at slwoer speeds, but playback won't be in real-time on the older Palm III/V/VII without a speed boost.

As for the Treo, it depends on which model you have. Some of the early Treo's don't have a serial port. If it has a serial port, then it will work. It's just a matter of getting the right cable. The newer Treo's with the PalmOne universal connector will work.

As I posted earlier, I'm working with a supplier for cables. With any luck, we'll have a single source for serial cables for most PalmOS devices.

shmedley
11-15-2006, 01:29 AM
Rob,

Do you know if it will run on a Ipaq 3630?

ShelGame
11-15-2006, 08:59 AM
iPaq's are Pocket PC/Windows Mobile, right? Then, no, it won't work. This is for PalmOS devices only. I don't have any plans to build a version for WM.

eddycooper
11-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Rob,

For the data cable, is this something like what is needed?

http://stores.ebay.ca/CoolMCU

(the cable one).

Eddy

ShelGame
11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Rob,

For the data cable, is this something like what is needed?

http://stores.ebay.ca/CoolMCU

(the cable one).

Eddy

Possibly.

The problems is, that cable is designed to use a 5V supply. There's no 5V supply available on the Chrysler SCI connector. If you want to do some wiring, you should be able to take the 5V sensor supply wire and branch that to an unused pin on the SCI connector. Or, simlpy cut the SCI connector and hard-wire the cable in. Whichever you want.

Alternately, you could try to put 5V zener on the 12v supply line. The Max232 chips don't draw much power. So, I don't think that would be a problem. But, I've never tried it. See attached picture (lifted from a website that I've lost track of)

The interface board that Chad sells has a 5V power supply built in to drop the supply voltage from 12v to 5v. But, it doesn't fit so nicely into a cable...

eddycooper
11-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Here's another one:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TTL-to-RS232-Converter-AMFELTEC-Corp_W0QQitemZ320047295907QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41995 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It claims to be powered by the serial port, but does it do the same thing?

Eddy

ShelGame
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
It should work. But, it will drain the Palm batteries faster since it's powered by the Palm serial port...

Here's another one:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TTL-to-RS232-Converter-AMFELTEC-Corp_W0QQitemZ320047295907QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41995 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It claims to be powered by the serial port, but does it do the same thing?

Eddy

eddycooper
11-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Ah, well I'm starting to see why it would be a good idea for a special cable for this stuff...

It should work. But, it will drain the Palm batteries faster since it's powered by the Palm serial port...

XR Tuner
11-15-2006, 09:01 PM
You can get 5V from the sensor supply line from the ECU.

CanadianDaytona
11-18-2006, 02:07 AM
Fantastic I have a PalmIIIxe thats been sitting around doing nothing for years :).

However
When I try to run the installer I get errors in 'ImGetModule' and 'ImGetDword'

ShelGame
11-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Really? Those aren't part of the installer, I don't think. What version of Palm Desktop are you running? My best guess is to make sure you're running the latest version from Palm. The installer I use is from Palm also and I think it's intended for version 4.x.x or so.

CanadianDaytona
11-18-2006, 12:57 PM
I'll try that I'm running v3.1

ShelGame
11-27-2006, 07:29 PM
OK, Beta4 is just about ready to post, but I thought I'd troll for some more feedback first.

Anyone had a chance to try MiniDash? Any issues or suggestions?

ShelGame
11-30-2006, 10:51 AM
So, has anyone besdies me even tried this with their car?

For now, I've shelved my PalmDRB idea. There are too many differences in the protocol between the LM, SMEC, and SBEC. I may still go back to it at a later date. Most of the really cool functionality I planned for PalmDRB will end up in MiniDash before release 1.0 anyway. The only thing lost will be the advanced tests that the DRB provided. I don't think most guys need that stuff anyway.

Here's what I plan to add for MiniDash Beta 4.

1. The data exported to the PC is now scaled data, instead of raw counts.

2. A run summary page - this will be for calculating stats about a particular run (and exporting the stats to the PC). Stats include - Power, torque, 0-60, 30-60, 1/4mi time & speed, and whatever else I can think of - possibly some sort of wheel slip measurement, trans/clutch slip measurement, and :confused:

3. Code reader & database. It will read the error codes and pop-up descriptions of the error (descriptions straight from MiniMopar.net). I can't clear the errors from the Palm, though.

mcsvt
11-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Haven't had a chance to try it yet. My car is still headless.

But very interested in trying once it is together.

altered7151
11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Just need to get a cable made up to run mine.

eddycooper
11-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I haven't used it yet but I fully intend to once I pick up a Palm for it...

Do you have support for the 86 LM yet?

Eddy

Mario
11-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Wow I didn't know there was even a Beta 1 yet. This is badass.

MoparN75
12-19-2006, 12:34 PM
I'd love to try it, but all this hightech jargon is frying my brain...whats left of it. Care to make me up a kit that includes the Pilot with software loaded, a cable to plug into diagnostic plug/port on car, means to get upgrades and an instruction manual a pong player can understand?

ShelGame
12-19-2006, 12:41 PM
I'd love to try it, but all this hightech jargon is frying my brain...whats left of it. Care to make me up a kit that includes the Pilot with software loaded, a cable to plug into diagnostic plug/port on car, means to get upgrades and an instruction manual a pong player can understand?

Eventually - yes, I do plan to get there. Well, maybe not the Pilot part, you'll have to buy that yourself.

I would very much like to build/sell cables to make the software as simple as possible to use.

mcsvt
12-19-2006, 12:51 PM
The car is running again. I want to start trying this. Rob do you recommend a combination of parts to put together a cable? I haven't picked out a Palm yet, but I will probably go for as much bang as possible(speed, color, correct port).

ShelGame
12-19-2006, 01:43 PM
I can pobably write you a recipe - it will depend on the Palm device you get, though.

mcsvt
12-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Ok i'll pick one out and let you know. Thanks :thumb:

MoparN75
12-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Eventually - yes, I do plan to get there. Well, maybe not the Pilot part, you'll have to buy that yourself.

I would very much like to build/sell cables to make the software as simple as possible to use.

Hey Rob, how about this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-IIIxe-PDA-with-Accessories-NR_W0QQitemZ110068331189QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38331QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is it a good choice or should I look for something better?
Stan

mcsvt
12-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Well I can look at auctions at work, but can't bid. I was going to go with a Tungsten type since it seems I wouldn't need the line level converter then.

You don't still happen to have one for sale do you?

ShelGame
12-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Hey Rob, how about this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-IIIxe-PDA-with-Accessories-NR_W0QQitemZ110068331189QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38331QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is it a good choice or should I look for something better?
Stan

That's the minimum platform I designed it around, actually. You'll need to download an ap called Afterburner, though (an overclocking utility). And run it at ~26mhz to get decent graphics speed. Basically, you'll need ~160% showing on the Quartus Benchamrk utility to run MiniDash.

Well, it will actually run without Afterburner, but you will get noticebale screen flicker.

mcsvt
12-22-2006, 11:02 AM
I have a Palm Tungsten T coming to me in a few days. Rob if you get a chance can you recommend the cable combination I need. I'll start putting it together after the holidays.

TurboBuggy
12-22-2006, 02:32 PM
dude this program is sweet, couple days and I will be able to test it. It works on non-modified SMECs right?

ShelGame
12-22-2006, 10:49 PM
dude this program is sweet, couple days and I will be able to test it. It works on non-modified SMECs right?

Yes, unless it's some oddball binary that I haven't seen yet. There's a possibility I wouldn't have the correct memory map for it in that case.

But, otherwise, it will work on all SMECs with or without the hi-speed logger mod. Without the mod, the data rate is pretty low, so the screen only updates at about 10 frames/sec. It's not very smooth, but it works. I'd like to add a "smoothing" option to make the data appear smoother. But, I haven't started working on that yet. I have a ton of updates for Beta4 that aren't ironed out yet. Those updates have the priority.

Aries_Turbo
12-23-2006, 12:25 AM
rob, is it going to work with blueberry or should i pop in my other chip?

Brian

cordes
12-23-2006, 12:59 AM
rob, is it going to work with blueberry or should i pop in my other chip?

Brian

I am under the impression that it will work with the blueberry.

ShelGame
12-23-2006, 01:37 PM
It should work fine. I specifically added Blueberry to the MiniDash database. It should Auto-ID as "Blueberry Custom Cal" or similar...

Aries_Turbo
12-23-2006, 01:49 PM
you have a pm on SQPF.com

Brian

TurboBuggy
12-23-2006, 07:20 PM
so uh, http://www.gizmos2go.com/xcart/product.php?productid=4255 + http://moparchem.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=67&p=394#p394 ???

mcsvt
12-26-2006, 11:05 AM
The Tungsten is in and looks to be running great. I will have to install the hotsync stuff on my laptop tonight and try loading MiniDash.

Any recommendations for the cable on my Tungsten T? First link posted above looks good, but do I need the converter posted as well with this model?

Thanks,

TurboBuggy
12-27-2006, 02:47 AM
I just ordered this

https://serialio.com//store/product_info.php?cPath=54_60&products_id=137&osCsid=17262f43999d05409ef37cc53994812a

RS232 built into the cable, I think rob posted it once but I though it was like $50 for some reason. I got it for $25 shipped at that link

mcsvt
12-27-2006, 12:32 PM
I got mini dash on my Palm last night, the demo works just fine.

TurboBuggy
12-29-2006, 08:17 PM
ok I just recieved my cable ( https://serialio.com//store/product_info.php?cPath=54_60&products_id=137&osCsid=17262f43999d05409ef37cc53994812a ), anybody know how to wire it up? What pins connect to what?

altered7151
12-30-2006, 03:11 AM
Okay, I have a palmone Treo 650 on the way and would like to get mini-dash up and running asap. I hope to have my car up and running this weekend and want to be able to go out and datalog with both mini-dash and my wideband. I'm still a little unclear as to what I need to build a cable for the later model palms with the usb cable. As soon as I get it up and running I'll take some video and post it up.

ShelGame
12-30-2006, 11:08 AM
ok I just recieved my cable ( https://serialio.com//store/product_info.php?cPath=54_60&products_id=137&osCsid=17262f43999d05409ef37cc53994812a ), anybody know how to wire it up? What pins connect to what?

With the later model Palms, you only need to connect the Rx on the Palm to Tx on the SCI, Tx on the Palm to Rx on the SCI and GND to GND. That should be it.

On the Palm Universal connector, I beleive, Pin 8 is GND, Pin 10 is Tx, and Pin 11 is Rx (so the SCI Rx needs to go to 10, and the SCI Tx to 11).

I'm still working on a document to show all of the possible cable combinations. I hope to include it in the B4 release...

altered7151
12-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks again Rob! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my Treo will be here today, I'll go ahead and get some cables ordered up and get working on them. I'll be sure to get some pics and video up when everything is operational! Beta 4 woulding include the color option would it? :eyebrows:

Oh, and would anyone know where to get the male end of the chrysler diagnostic connector to make the cable?

ShelGame
12-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks again Rob! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my Treo will be here today, I'll go ahead and get some cables ordered up and get working on them. I'll be sure to get some pics and video up when everything is operational! Beta 4 woulding include the color option would it? :eyebrows:

Oh, and would anyone know where to get the male end of the chrysler diagnostic connector to make the cable?

It already has a "color" option. It's just in B&W only :). I want to make a "pretty" screen for the hi-res color devices, but it's not a high priority.

You can find the SCI connector on eBay for ~$10 (or less). Get one for one of the scan tools and cut the opposite end off.

As I posted earlier, I have a possible source for complete cables, the problem is I have to order at least 5 of each. It's a huge up-front cost for me that I can't swing right now. My first investment with this will be the fully licensed compiler so that I can get rid of the nag screen.

mcsvt
12-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Would something like this work?

Snap On Scanner Chrysler-1

http://i10.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/80/78/fe32_1.JPG

Then of course make my own serial cable with the correct wires matched.

cordes
12-30-2006, 05:29 PM
It already has a "color" option. It's just in B&W only :). I want to make a "pretty" screen for the hi-res color devices, but it's not a high priority.

You can find the SCI connector on eBay for ~$10 (or less). Get one for one of the scan tools and cut the opposite end off.

As I posted earlier, I have a possible source for complete cables, the problem is I have to order at least 5 of each. It's a huge up-front cost for me that I can't swing right now. My first investment with this will be the fully licensed compiler so that I can get rid of the nag screen.

I would love a preassembled cable that I just have to hook up, or solder a couple wires to my board. Throw me down for the group buy.

altered7151
12-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Here's a pretty handy site I found that has pinout diagrams for pretty much everything, including all the pda's http://pinouts.ru/

UltimateSleeper
01-08-2007, 11:06 PM
OK, I am totally lost on this how the make a working cable thing:confused:

I have a plam IIIxe that I currently run the www.ls1m.com program on for my 05 Grandprix GTP.

I would really like to use this plam on my 87 omni T2 clone...it has the mopar performance logic module.

Can anyone draw out or explain how to make a cable for us guys that are not to bright:D

ShelGame
01-12-2007, 12:11 PM
OK, mini-poll time...

Wih some of the new features I'm adding for B4 (well, maybe some of them won't make it until B5), MiniDash will now be able to scale the MPH reading on the screen based on your actual tires.

So, the poll is, which would you prefer displayed on the MiniDash Screen - ECU MPH or corrected MPH?

Regardless, when I store the data in the .csv file to the PC, it will be corrected MPH. It has to be due to the other calculations I'm going to have MD do...

Oh, and I plan to add a much more detailled instructions to include with B4. Coming soon! (I hope...).

mcsvt
01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I would be ok with either MPH. I am still trying to track down a diag port connector. I may just make my own with spades. My serial cable for my Palm is in.

When I run the sample data, my MPH gauge and Throttle position gauge on the screen are blurred a bit. Is there something I need to change in my settings? This is a Tungsten T, afterburner overclocked.

Thanks again Rob :thumb:

SwiftTech
01-12-2007, 12:35 PM
where can one download this program? The link in the first post is dead. I will be swapping my 84 over to 89 electronics in the near future and I think this would be a nice addition.

ShelGame
01-12-2007, 12:49 PM
where can one download this program? The link in the first post is dead. I will be swapping my 84 over to 89 electronics in the near future and I think this would be a nice addition.

Uh, yeah, I accidentally killed it.

And, I didn't keep the installer for B3. So, B3 is dead, unless you can get someone to send it to you. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for B4. I hope to post it by next week. The big problem I've been having is LM communications. I think it's fixed now. Just need to verify, and B4 will be posted. Plus, B3 expires near the end of Jan. anyway...

ShelGame
01-12-2007, 12:52 PM
I would be ok with either MPH. I am still trying to track down a diag port connector. I may just make my own with spades. My serial cable for my Palm is in.

When I run the sample data, my MPH gauge and Throttle position gauge on the screen are blurred a bit. Is there something I need to change in my settings? This is a Tungsten T, afterburner overclocked.

Thanks again Rob :thumb:

You shouldn't need Afterburner with a Tungsten T. The Tungstens all have ARM processors running at like 200mhz, so speed isn't an issue. I'd turn off Afterburner and see if it runs better. I don't have any blurriness on my Tungsten E2.

Afterburner is only required for the Palms running a DragonBallEZ at 16mhz (ie, IIIxe, Vx, VII, M505, etc.)

mcsvt
01-12-2007, 01:05 PM
The blur was happening before Afterburner. I tried Afterburner to see if it helped fix it. The MPH is really not so bad, but the Throttle Position is almost unreadable. I will try to get you a screen shoot tonight.

TurboBuggy
01-12-2007, 07:43 PM
cant wait for B4 :D

I have a zire-71, B3 is pretty grainy on the throttle position and main gauge needle. Im hoping that is fixed in B4

I vote corrected MPH

Mario
01-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Corrected.

Nice work by the way.

ShelGame
01-12-2007, 10:10 PM
cant wait for B4 :D

I have a zire-71, B3 is pretty grainy on the throttle position and main gauge needle. Im hoping that is fixed in B4

I vote corrected MPH

I did have some hi-res graphics problems with an earlier beta. But, I thought I had fixed it. At any rate, I definitely do not have any graphics issues on My Tungsten E2 now, or on the Zire emulators.

Here's a thought - how much memory does your Zire have?

mcsvt
01-20-2007, 03:36 PM
I made my cable today. And was having a problem connecting. But just now as I am writing this I know what I have done wrong. Opps. Hope to report back later with it working :)

bfarroo
01-21-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm looking for some monitoring devices for my DD 89 Spirit ES and this looks to be a simple one stop unit to do what I want over installing a gauge pod and gauges, or trying to watch my 4000E while driving down the road. I've looked on ebay for Palm's and there's 100's of different ones! what should I be looking for in a decent unit that will work well with this program. I've seen a few different links for cable options also. What's the best route. Making a cable isn't a big deal if I know what I need to get. Also are there cradles for the palm unit that would allow easy removal of the unit when not in use? I have chad's adapter in my 87 for use with another logging program so I'm assuming that this would allow it to be directly connected? Sorry for all the questions just looking for the best options out there.

ShelGame
01-21-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm looking for some monitoring devices for my DD 89 Spirit ES and this looks to be a simple one stop unit to do what I want over installing a gauge pod and gauges, or trying to watch my 4000E while driving down the road. I've looked on ebay for Palm's and there's 100's of different ones! what should I be looking for in a decent unit that will work well with this program. I've seen a few different links for cable options also. What's the best route. Making a cable isn't a big deal if I know what I need to get. Also are there cradles for the palm unit that would allow easy removal of the unit when not in use? I have chad's adapter in my 87 for use with another logging program so I'm assuming that this would allow it to be directly connected? Sorry for all the questions just looking for the best options out there.

Since you already have Chad's line level converter, you really just need a Palm with an RS232 port and a modem cable.

The Palm's with an RS232 Port would be anything from a IIIxe, to a M515. The modem cables are available on eBay or from the sources listed above. If you can't find a modem cable, you can use a sync cable with a null modem (available at Radio Shack). The difference between a modem cable and a sync cable is the Rx and Tx are swapped.

If you wanted to get one of the later Palms with hi-res graphics, it will still work (as long as it uses the Palm "universal" connector - some later palms use only a mini-usb connector). But, you'll also need an RS232 cable. It's the same type of cable you'd use with a GPS module. They're available from most of the sources list in this thread.

Using one of the later Palms, you could also do it with just a straight cable, but you'd have to get rid of Chad's box, and I assume you'll want to keep it in there so you can also use your PC program.

B4 will have a much improved user guide with a model/cable selection guide.

I really hope to post B4 this week. I've finished testing on my '89 T1, just need to get it tested on the T2 and LM computers.

bfarroo
01-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Alright after looking through the sea of Palm's on ebay I think I've narrowed it down some. I'm thinking of something in either the m100's or m500's. My next question is is it worthwhile to get one with a color screen? I'm thinking that it would.

ShelGame
01-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Alright after looking through the sea of Palm's on ebay I think I've narrowed it down some. I'm thinking of something in either the m100's or m500's. My next question is is it worthwhile to get one with a color screen? I'm thinking that it would.

Check out the MD "Color Screen Contest" thread here (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10660).

Right now, I only have a color overlay for the hi-res devices. But, if there's a demand, I can make one for the lo-res, too.

ShelGame
01-23-2007, 09:27 AM
I know a lot of guys are looking to buy a Palm. I don't want anyone to get the wrong device hoping it will work with MiniDash. So, here's a mostly completed compatibility chart.

The devices in green are devices that should work with MiniDash based on the information I have available. I have not personally tested each of these devices, so keep that in mind.

If the device has "no" under hardware compatibility, that means it does not have the proper serial hardware and it will NOT work with MiniDash.

A "yes" under software compatibility means the software will run, even if the serial hardware is no compatible. MiniDash will just run in "demo" mode.

I'll complete more and more of this chart as release 1 gets closer.

ShelGame
01-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Still looking for feedback on any problems I might need to address before I release B4...

Has anyone tried MiniDash yet?

MiniMopar
01-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Just ordered a serial cable for my old Visor Platinum. I just recently found the thing behind my desk and I didn't want to buy a cable until I did. I don't have anything to say about B3...I never downloaded it.

mcsvt
01-29-2007, 07:55 PM
I can't get it to connect. All I get is the serial error. This is a Palm Tungsten T. I have the Tx going to Rx and Rx going to Tx. Looking at my diag port I do not have a wire going to the ground port. I tried the signal ground and also grounding to the body. I made the serial cable myself, but have double and triple checked it now. Time for a forth check this week I guess.

Not sure if I need to activate anything else with my Palm. The serial cable that I have coming from the Palm isn't a sync type, it dosen't' have the button on it. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

TurboBuggy
01-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Using one of the later Palms, you could also do it with just a straight cable, but you'd have to get rid of Chad's box, and I assume you'll want to keep it in there so you can also use your PC program.

B4 will have a much improved user guide with a model/cable selection guide.

I really hope to post B4 this week. I've finished testing on my '89 T1, just need to get it tested on the T2 and LM computers.

Wait so do I need a line level converter to hook up my Zire71? I have chad's llc but I couldnt get the palm to connect to my smec, I assumed either my smec wasnt compatable or my (chad's)LLC is broke

Im running ladybug now, how do I set up the serial mod?

ShelGame
01-30-2007, 12:15 AM
I can't get it to connect. All I get is the serial error. This is a Palm Tungsten T. I have the Tx going to Rx and Rx going to Tx. Looking at my diag port I do not have a wire going to the ground port. I tried the signal ground and also grounding to the body. I made the serial cable myself, but have double and triple checked it now. Time for a forth check this week I guess.

Not sure if I need to activate anything else with my Palm. The serial cable that I have coming from the Palm isn't a sync type, it dosen't' have the button on it. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

The GND line on the SCI connector needs to be connected to the GND on your Palm serial port - not the car GND. Otherwise, the voltage ref will be off. Plus, the car GND can be very noisy...

mcsvt
01-30-2007, 12:17 AM
I'll have to trace the wire at the connector. As of right now there is no wire in the spot that is marked for ground.

ShelGame
01-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Wait so do I need a line level converter to hook up my Zire71? I have chad's llc but I couldnt get the palm to connect to my smec, I assumed either my smec wasnt compatable or my (chad's)LLC is broke

Im running ladybug now, how do I set up the serial mod?

It turns out that, in B3, DRB1 (LM and T2 SMEC) coms don't work. It's the last thing I'm working on in B4 now.

To add the serial mod, you need to take a look at the modified T2 cal that's on D-Cal...

EDIT: This is the cable (http://www.pcables.com/cat2.html) you need, scroll down to P/N PDCTU-M9-6. Plug this into Chad's LLC and you should be all set.

ShelGame
01-30-2007, 09:58 AM
I'll have to trace the wire at the connector. As of right now there is no wire in the spot that is marked for ground.

Really? The GND wire should be Lt Blue/Red. Here's a pinout of the diag connector.

Not all connectors have the ASD or signal GND, but they should have the other 4...