PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to fit a 2.2 into a Neon?

TurboNeon568
11-06-2006, 03:52 AM
I am builind a 95 Neon 2 door coupe and I wanna go with a turbo motor but I have a few options to me and I want to know which one is the most recommended.

Option one:Get a T3 Lotus head motor and try to get that stuffed into it.

Option two: Get a 2.2 iron cb and get a conversion kit to put a 4v Neon head on it.

Option Three: Get an SRT-4 motor from E-Bay and start from there.

I am leaning towards the hybrid engine ust because I can start with a bare block and build it exactly how I want to but i don't know how much of a problem fitting it into a neon would be. I am aiming for 600+ hp and I know I can get it. I work at a dealership and have access to things like cradle jacks and a mig welder if it would help at all.

Please help me out. Thanks.

Speedeuphoria
11-06-2006, 10:39 AM
either get an SRT4 motor, a 2.4 motor and build it, or build a 2.0 DOHC.

600HP=$$$ and lots of reaserch, and many supporting mods

600hp FWD= pretty much dumb(not very practical)

400whp is enough for most FWD

That being said I am dumb and shooting for those numbers but we shall see

TurbododgePirate
11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
I am builind a 95 Neon 2 door coupe and I wanna go with a turbo motor but I have a few options to me and I want to know which one is the most recommended.

Okay dokey.

Option one:Get a T3 Lotus head motor and try to get that stuffed into it.

Nope. Not a good idea at all. Look at the price of parts for these motors. Plus You'll have to put a motor that wa snever designed to go in a neon into one.

Option two: Get a 2.2 iron cb and get a conversion kit to put a 4v Neon head on it.

Again, Putting a motor never designed to go into a neon into one. And A SOHC at that. And at the cost of the conversion, you could get PLENTY of nice aftermarket parts for your 2.0 or 2.4

Option Three: Get an SRT-4 motor from E-Bay and start from there.

Ye gods MAN! If you have that much cash laying around, send some to me. Seriously.

I am leaning towards the hybrid engine ust because I can start with a bare block and build it exactly how I want to but i don't know how much of a problem fitting it into a neon would be. I am aiming for 600+ hp and I know I can get it. I work at a dealership and have access to things like cradle jacks and a mig welder if it would help at all.
Please help me out. Thanks.

Get a nice, well seasoned 2.4 DOHC block, and build a turbo motor from there. If you want to go cheap, you can use stock SRT4 rods and pistons. Even cheaper use 2.5 turbo rods and some nice forged pistons.

Go buy a megasquirt too.

jory
11-06-2006, 07:42 PM
get an srt-4 motor and start there :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-05-DODGE-NEON-SRT4-2-4L-TURBO-ENGINE-TRANSMISSION_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ 004QQitemZ140049070345QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

WVRampage
11-06-2006, 07:45 PM
A guy im working with just hit a deer in his avenger with ther 2.0 twin cam and a 5 speed in it and if it gets totaled I told him Id give him 100 bucks more than the insurance wants to buy it back so I can have some parts to build something but I dont know how it work out and this would be going in a rampage.

TurboNeon568
11-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Well the STR-4 motors are going for 1k-2k on E-Bay and tax return time is coming and I am good at Saving money. More and more reccommendations are coming in for the 2.4 engine. But it is the one I know the least about so if you guys wanna elaborate on it for me I would appreciate that.

As far as my HP goal, it is just something I do to make sure that I can de-tune it to less power and know that nothing is gonna give out any time soon. So I go for components to support 600hp and then de-tune to like 450-500. And besides I can run a dual tune and, with some slicks, the 600hp I can run faster ETs at the track and then back it off and put street tires on it and go have fun beating up on civics and more powerful cars that are worth a damn.

And besides, there is no such thing as too much power! There is no such thing as enough for me.:rockon:

TurboNeon568
11-06-2006, 08:56 PM
1991 S10 Blazer 4X4 4.3 auto, forsale $500 PLEASE BUY IT!!

You anywhere near Oklahoma? My 1st project was an '85 S10 blazer w/ a 350SBC/TH350. Motor just had warmed over heads but my Phase 9 instructor and i built up the tranny pretty good.

I had to sell it though because I couldn't afford to drive it to California. Now I am back home and I want to build another Blazer with a little more time and effort into it.

TurbododgePirate
11-07-2006, 03:55 PM
You anywhere near Oklahoma? My 1st project was an '85 S10 blazer w/ a 350SBC/TH350. Motor just had warmed over heads but my Phase 9 instructor and i built up the tranny pretty good.

I had to sell it though because I couldn't afford to drive it to California. Now I am back home and I want to build another Blazer with a little more time and effort into it.

Well, Southwest Pennsylvania... not really close to OK.

Read up on the 2.4 there is plenty of information on neons.org if you sort through all the crap. I am building a pretty potent 2.4, so just let em know if I can be of any assistance. ~~H

TurboNeon568
11-07-2006, 10:12 PM
What do you think it would cost to have that blazer shipped? I really want another one and I can't find any in the local auto trader.

TurbododgePirate
11-08-2006, 09:53 AM
What do you think it would cost to have that blazer shipped? I really want another one and I can't find any in the local auto trader.

No idea. Sorry. What does a Uhaul Dolley, and a Uhaul truck cost to rent?

TurboNeon568
11-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Oh well.

Back to subject.

I have been getting a lot of suggestions for the 2.4. Can anyone give me the 411 on this engine? I know almost nothing about it.

hybridshadow
11-10-2006, 01:25 AM
hmm, t3 motor- several thousand dollars and wont bolt up to your trans without a motor plate. plus need new ecu or stand alone to run it. not a good option unless you wanna burn cash fast

hybrid motor. still a couple grand , not including manifolds turbo ecu and other goodies. still wont bolt up to your trans, with out a motor plate or a ghetto bracket.

2.4 srt motor- expensive but drops in and bolts up to your trans with no mods. your best bet would be find a rebuildable 2.4 N/A motor in the yards, buy a set of srt pistons and rods- like 200 bucks from dealer, good strong rods and forged pistons. build that up and drop it in

600 hp, is gonna be beyond what the neon transmission can handle. if your not snappin input shafts or axles you'll be craking cases and other fun annoying stuff. you might wanna try and hang in the 350-400 hp range- a neon trans might be able to handle that.

TurboNeon568
11-10-2006, 11:50 AM
I wans't planning to use the neon tanny. I was told that the A568 was only one bolt off on the bell housing and that a bracket would be available. I am a big fan of the "There's no such thing as too much!" theme. But I am not expecting to hit 600+, I am just engineering for it so that it can be a reliable 450-500 hp car. Money pits are no fun. That's why I been taking suggestions to heart. I am going for anywhere from low 11 to mid 10s in the 1320. I Kow it is possible to get to the 10s, I have seen a few Omni's and Daytonas in the 10s and one shadow in the 9s so i know it is acheiveable. I posted about the A568 in the tranny forum and I think it might be able to hold the 450-500 without too much more than a better set of synchros and a good clutch. Does CenterForce make a clutch for the A568?

TurboNeon568
11-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Oh and I wanna run a stand alone anyways.

I have been hearing about something called a "MegaSquirt" but I don't know what it is.Stand alone? Chip? What is it?

TurboNeon568
11-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Read up on the 2.4 there is plenty of information on neons.org if you sort through all the crap. I am building a pretty potent 2.4, so just let em know if I can be of any assistance. ~~H

You gonna run a neon tranny or something else?

ottawa rogue
11-10-2006, 08:22 PM
megasquirt is a standalone efi system. it's kinda like the linux of efi, most everything is kinda open source :D

www.megasquirt.org

TurboNeon568
11-10-2006, 08:38 PM
megasquirt is a standalone efi system. it's kinda like the linux of efi, most everything is kinda open source :D

www.megasquirt.org

Ahh, thank-a-you.
Now, where would be the best place to get a megasquirt? How muc do they run?

GLHSKEN
11-10-2006, 08:41 PM
. Does CenterForce make a clutch for the A568?

Centerforce is the LAST clutch you would want for a 568. There are much better options. A 4 puck copper ceramic disk and twin TBI plated PP is the way to go...

TurboNeon568
11-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Is there a dual disk clutch for it?

GLHSKEN
11-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Is there a dual disk clutch for it?

Nope not needed... The dual TBI pressure plate is 2200lbs clamp force. The 4 puck copper ceramic will wear the flywheel out 1st. How 'bout a 2450 lb omni running 132+ in the 1/4 with that set-up... Hmmm 450+whp... 525+ at the crank

ottawa rogue
11-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Ahh, thank-a-you.
Now, where would be the best place to get a megasquirt? How muc do they run?

go to the top link on the left side, there is an FAQ with a vendor list.

TurboNeon568
11-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Schweet