PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Dakota, need some tips/advice

moparzrule
11-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Well I just picked up a 90' Dakota with a 2.5L TBI 5 speed. I'm wondering how hard it would be to swap it over to turbo. I wanted an 89' to get a SMEC, but this is what I got.
Well I guess first things first before I go turbo'ing it, how much power can this 5 speed handle? Is it like a 555, or a 525 in strength? Does it have the 3rd gear problem?
Next thing, I'd like to do this without swapping to a turbo head, just keep the engine intact. I'd only run 5-7 PSI or so boost, non intercooled I'm just gonna use a T1 J pipe. I plan on using a T2 garrett.
The other thing, electronics. Can I just plug in a 90' SBEC T1 ECU and be OK? Or do I need an entire harness to go with it? If so what vehicle is best to get it from?
Thats all I can think of for now.

moparzrule
11-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Anybody?

Can I switch to SMEC easily with the wire harness swap? Would a turbo mini be the best donor vehicle for the wire harness?

moparzrule
11-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Nobody knows anything???

BadAssPerformance
11-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Might be ok if you dont run much boost with the higher TBI compression.

I would say that the trans should be as strong as a 520, so no diff problems like the 525, but not the course gears like the 555, unless tehy did use those, not sure, probably not.

Does the Dakota have the 50-way bulkhead connector to the engine harness? if so, anything '90 that has that might work.

check this out

http://www.maximumpsi.com/dakota.html

JDAWG
11-22-2006, 11:40 AM
your gonna need a harness and smec, youll just have to track down some pinouts to see which bulkhead connector is closest

WOP'R
11-30-2006, 04:45 PM
i thought the stock dakota 5spd couldnt hold power. From what i was todl they couldnt even handle the stock out-put of the dakota?!!?

im a wrong?

JDAWG
11-30-2006, 05:57 PM
supra trans?

moparzrule
11-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I've never heard of a tranny that can't even hold 99 HP????

bfarroo
12-22-2006, 02:29 PM
On the older trucks the rear end is probably going to give out before the trans although the trans would probably be the next weak link. 94-95 trucks got the AX 15 which is the same trans the 3.9v6 trucks got so it's definetely stronger than the earlier ones.

flight704
12-22-2006, 03:02 PM
moparzrule
I am doing the project you are setting out on with a one major difference.. I am using twin weber 45dcoe carbs in a blow through configuration instead of injection.. I have seen a couple turbo dakotas online and have not heard of any tranny failures yet.

I also had major concerns about the ax15 5 spd manual tranny but after talking to alot of people i am reasonably sure it will take 300 hp or so with out failure. I have spoke to 3 or 4 people that 300 hp or better with v6 motors on that tranny and did not have any failures.. My toy is running but not yet road worthy so i can not testify from my own personal experience yet but i left the tranny in instead of finding a replacement. ill be happy to let you know this summer when it hits the drag strip and dyno just how far my motor pushes it.. sorry but thats the best i can do for you at this point.

flight704
12-22-2006, 03:07 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~dl1989/

a link to my webspace. if you want to check it out. I had probelms clearing the carbs so i had to put the turbo out front. this problem does not exist on the injected cars.. so you can use a factory manifold and mount the turbo with little to no modification

it has a bunch f pics up there dial up beware..

Aries_Turbo
12-24-2006, 12:15 AM
mike radowski is building one of these. If you dont have the ax15, you have the T5... not the World class t5 that the mustangs and camarobirds got, but the regular t5. it will take 200hp td power easily and prolly a bit more if you are easy on the shifts. http://www.maximumpsi.com/dakota.html

you will need the turbo exhaust valves to even run 5-7psi. your best bet is to get an entire td motor and go to town. oh, you cant run the 1 or 2 piece intakes. you need to cut the elbow off and weld a tb flange on the other end. youll prolly have to reclock the turbo too and possibly make a different intlet pipe as it will be tight at the firewall.

harness.... find a smec harness and get the pinouts of both of them and get plugging the different pins in the connector.

Brian

junk yard jon
12-31-2006, 11:25 PM
swap in a V-8 and call it done.

WOP'R
12-31-2006, 11:37 PM
swap in a V-8 and call it done.

hey junk yard dog...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/WOP_R/2ndlargest.jpg

if you haven't noticed this is a td board...he is asking about a 4 banger swap not a v8 swap:thumb:

BadAssPerformance
01-01-2007, 12:31 AM
hey junk yard dog...

if you haven't noticed this is a td board...he is asking about a 4 banger swap not a v8 swap:thumb:

Easy there killer, V8's are cool too!

WOP'R
01-01-2007, 12:39 AM
i know they are but it would be nice to not show some ignorance. I would think a new person would sign up to these boards to learn about these engines NOT to say give up....granted i should know better and do my part to not flame new comers...:)

end rant
resume thread:D

BadAssPerformance
01-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Yes, shame on you for flaming a newcomer! And back on topic...

One the thing about the turbo-mopar is forum, it is about ALL mopar engines. I have a V8 Dakota and hopefully will eventually make a turbo Dakota out of it. When I do, it will still have the V8! :thumb:

If i had a 4-banger Dakota though, it would probably become a 4cyl turbo though, just cuz I have more of those spare parts around, LOL.

junk yard jon
01-01-2007, 05:04 PM
hey junk yard dog...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/WOP_R/2ndlargest.jpg

ignorance, thats funny. your the one showing pic of your mom with her beard.:lol: :partywoot: :partywoot: :ban: thank you and have a good day

moparzrule
01-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah fella's this is staying 4 cylinder because I like 25 MPG not 10. And I'm not ''swapping in'' a 4cyl it's already a 2.5 TBI.