PDA

View Full Version : TIG welder

shadow88
11-04-2006, 11:39 AM
My boss is considering purchasing one for the shop.:cheer2: The thickest thing that we think we may need to weld is about 1/4". We'll be welding both cast and I'll probably make another manifold from 1/8" plate.

I was looking for some personal input from TIG welders as to what to look for, what to stay away from , prefered brands, ect. We're not a welding shop (we're mechanics at a dealership) This won't need to be used every day. But some input would be great, thanks.

turboking
11-04-2006, 12:26 PM
miller. miller, miller i would look on craiglist, see if u can get a used one.. Weld aluminum(to test the high frequency)

Carl

Garret
11-06-2006, 02:41 AM
I'll refer the guy that welded my manifold to this thread he is a CWIB certified welder

phaxtris
11-06-2006, 03:04 AM
CWB for Tig aluminum even

a miller syncrowave 250 would be my suggestion, the syncrowave 180 just doesnt have the power to do much above 1/8th, i have personally experimented with the 180 on 1/4 and 3/8's plate, fillet weld/T joint, on cold plate (read no pre-heat) i would not consider it satisfactory, and for anything more than decrotive/buildup situations would refuse to weld anything of that thickness with that small of a machine

when you go in they will also try to sell you a watercooler (if you go with a 250), you can get away without one, but the torch gets REAL hot, i have personally welded for extended periods at about 225A with a air cooled torch, so if budget is an issue....or you can build your own cooler, just need a pump and a small rad

for referance i have close to 4,000 hours experiance working with syncro 350's, watercooling on majority of the machines is fed through municipal water source (read tap), i tig weld 10 hours a day, 40-50 hours a week, on various materials such as stainless, mild and aluminum, this is something i definatly do know what im talking about

i should also add the balance control on the syncro 180 is a huge pain in the but, you will learn if you start to weld cast aluminum how important the balance control is

jre97
11-06-2006, 04:31 AM
+1 on the miller 250. Avoid ESAB they're junk if they even still make them. The water cooler is very nice but you can get away cheaply if you want to build a tank yourself and then all you need is a pump, water cooled torch, and some hose. I've worked in several shops with the store bought water coolers and one with homeade ones and they work just as well. You just need a bigger tank about 5-10 gallons.

shadow88
11-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Aproximate price? new and/or used please?

phaxtris
11-08-2006, 01:42 AM
should be able to come in around the 3k mark for a basic setup without a water cooler, with watercooler and a good assortment of collets/bodys/cups/tungsten around the 4k-5k range

the only place ive seen them used is in alberta, most in the area of 2000-2500 with a watercooler, but is it worth the drive from ontario.....also remember there are wear items inside the welder, a lot of the items relating to the high frequency break down after time and need replacement/repair

(canadian prices)

Warren Stramer
11-08-2006, 03:12 AM
You can't go wrong with the Miller but for a alternative check this company. Some good stuff, I have the Invertig 200 amp and I love it. http://www.htpweld.com/products/tig_welders/tig201.html

swiftman
11-08-2006, 04:51 AM
Miller synchrowave 250 all the way, we have one at home its a very nice machine, never used it aircooled.Weld about 10 hours or so a week on aluminum, making various things such as my recent project, watercooled cases and intake manifold for me SS Seadoo.... We got ours about a year old On craigslist for 2500 and its been a very reliable machine. Its much better than the econotigs I have to use at school.

Turbo Joe
11-10-2006, 12:23 AM
i have a lincoln squarewave percision 185 tig welder, and it's the way to go. lots of features, and small in size but packs a punch. not water cooled so prolong periods will get a hot torch, but for occasional use it's the way. it'll do 1/4 " cast aluminum or clean plate, i've done 5/16" plate already with it.
all i do is fabricate for a living..

Garret
11-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Must be some not so good welds on 1/4inch...

BadAssPerformance
11-10-2006, 09:26 AM
+1 too Miller, and not just because they are a sister division of ours at ITW ;)

I use a 250 here at work... It kicks asss :thumb:

And it will weld waaaay more than 1/4 inch w/ cooler if needed ;)

Turbo Joe
12-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Must be some not so good welds on 1/4inch...
:lol: maybe you should learn how to tig weld aluminum then? i'll post some pics of me doing it.

phaxtris
12-11-2006, 04:13 PM
just because you can do it doesnt mean its a good sound weld, 180 amps with the dig maxed out is not enough to make a good sound weld on 1/4" (other than a butt joint) :thumb: