PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running veggie oil on the cummins?

1FastCSX289
01-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Just wondering. I have owned a couple mercedes that I run straight waste veggie in and it works great.......cant beat free fuel. ANyone running it on the Cummins?

Clay
01-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Is it true all you have to do is filter and heat the veggie oil to use it straight?

If I were going to run something like used oil in a diesel as expensive as the cummins, I would have to make it into bio-diesel first.

clay

JeremyL
01-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Is it true all you have to do is filter and heat the veggie oil to use it straight?

Yes! It needs to be filtered down to 2 microns if possible, and heated so that it flows easily. And most important, it needs to have alllllll the water removed.

I've got a F-250 diesel, and I've poured containers of new, fresh oil straight in the tanks. Up to around a 50/50 mix it doesn't require heating in most cases, although I do have a Holley blue fuel pump instead of the mechanical factory lift pump.

1FastCSX289
01-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I would have to disagree that the most important aspect is water removal. I believe filtering and heating is the most important aspect. If the oil is not hot, its is not viscous enough to SPRAY through the injector, rather you get a drizzle which leads to incomplete combustion, coking, and eventual engine damage. AS far the water removal goes, I just make sure I pour off the top when I am dumping into my settling drums. I let it sit for a while before filtering, which further allows water and particles to settle. But, a little water in the fuel never hurt anything.....heck, people use water injection all the time on gas powered TD's! Theres water in the diesel fuel when you pump it from the gas station.

But, to further answer Clay's question.....yes, filtering and heating is all you need to do and as far as owning a new truck, I would question why you want to run diesel fuel in it. THe veggie, as long as it is heated properly is better for the internals due to its lubricity. Less wear = longer lasting engine. The diesel is meant to be run on oil!

JeremyL
01-11-2006, 03:29 PM
A little water isn't gonna hurt, & most diesels have a water seperator. mine has one on the firewall. But too much water isn't gonna do your pump & injectors any good.

Dietro
01-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Not a diesel owner, but am somewhat following along with the biodiesel/veggie oil thing. So I came across THIS (http://news.com.com/Biodiesel+guru+sees+fuel+joining+mainstream/2100-11395_3-6025467.html?tag=nl) article today.

It's interesting that the prices mentioned aren't particularly exciting, but I suppose if bio-diesel took hold, and mass production and distribution was instituted, the prices would drop considerably.

Omniboy
01-11-2006, 05:23 PM
My rollback loves the veggie oil. It has a cat 3208 V-8

1FastCSX289
01-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Not a diesel owner, but am somewhat following along with the biodiesel/veggie oil thing. So I came across THIS (http://news.com.com/Biodiesel+guru+sees+fuel+joining+mainstream/2100-11395_3-6025467.html?tag=nl) article today.

It's interesting that the prices mentioned aren't particularly exciting, but I suppose if bio-diesel took hold, and mass production and distribution was instituted, the prices would drop considerably.

Good article except for this statement, which is a bit ignorant:

"Still, the car powered purely by vegetable oil has become merely a hippie phenomenon. Pouring a vat of veggie oil in your nice new Mercedes-Benz diesel engine car will surely gum it up or foul the engine. But for an old clunker, it might do"

I dont have a new MB, but its a really nice car, and it runs BETTER on the veggie. I know guys who run it in vehicles as new as 02, 03, etc.

As for the price, it would come down as it is mass produced. I read somewhere that there is enough waste veggie to support 10% of our nations fuel needs. Thats probably a large percentage of all the diesel vehicles on the road.

Dietro
01-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Good article except for this statement, which is a bit ignorant:

"Still, the car powered purely by vegetable oil has become merely a hippie phenomenon. Pouring a vat of veggie oil in your nice new Mercedes-Benz diesel engine car will surely gum it up or foul the engine. But for an old clunker, it might do"

I dont have a new MB, but its a really nice car, and it runs BETTER on the veggie. I know guys who run it in vehicles as new as 02, 03, etc.

Hehe, I know. I guess there are two assumptions there:

1) It will gum things up. Which from what I've read, may or may not happen depending in large part on the filtering.

2) MB owners are too stuffy to use veggie oil. This may well be true... ;)

As for the price, it would come down as it is mass produced. I read somewhere that there is enough waste veggie to support 10% of our nations fuel needs. Thats probably a large percentage of all the diesel vehicles on the road.

That's what I'm wondering. If we could move the domestic diesel fleet off of crude based fuel and onto bio-diesel, imagine the impact that would have on things.

1) Farmers would get paid for growing crops again, not paid for not growing crops. ;)

2) Bio-diesel prices would drop, and likely remain relatively consistent. Floods and droughts would impact prices, but overtime as a "national supply" of bio-diesel is built up, this years drought would be offset by next year's bumper crop.

3) The world-wide price of crude would drop because the U.S. demand would have fallen off. Thus, the price of gasoline could fall back to semi-sane levels. Though, if we're committed to doing this for diesel, then why not ethanol as well? Heck, even if we went back to gasohol..... ;)

Millerman340
01-12-2006, 10:57 PM
And just think ,You could use the grease from McDonald's in your truck and cruise over past jenny Craig and have fun watching the fat girls go nutz. All you need is a lift gate and you can pick up a few.!:whip: (Maybe BBQ sauce injection also):D

Millerman340
01-12-2006, 11:10 PM
On a serious note, I saw a TV show about bio and they made a test batch adding lye and heated & mixed the veg oil .when they knew how much lye it took for the test batch the did the whole batch.The oil separated Into glycerin and clean Bio fuel. The glycerin settled to the bottom and was drained off.Thats what I (think) happened so don't quote me. Dave

1FastCSX289
01-15-2006, 03:12 PM
On a serious note, I saw a TV show about bio and they made a test batch adding lye and heated & mixed the veg oil .when they knew how much lye it took for the test batch the did the whole batch.The oil separated Into glycerin and clean Bio fuel. The glycerin settled to the bottom and was drained off.Thats what I (think) happened so don't quote me. Dave

Thats about right. Ive run a test batch of biodiesel in the last MB that I owned. It worked pretty good, but it takes too much time in comparison to straight veggie oil.