PDA

View Full Version : Radiator overflow nipple

Subliminal
01-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Hey guys,

I have a nice t2 rad/ic combo that's been recored and whatnot. The only thing wrong with it is the little nipple on the filler neck broke off. Which pretty much makes it unusable.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any quick fix. I know the thing just needs to be brazed on, but that would require owning the broken piece...which i do not.

Any tips?

:)

Clay
01-10-2006, 12:09 PM
well, the piece thats broken off is just copper. Might be able to buy a piece of copper tubing and braze (or JB weld) it on.

Your only other option is to take it to a radiator shop. im sure they could fix it.

clay

85lebaront2
01-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Take one off a non-T2 radiator. Any good shop can fix it for you. At worst case like Clay said, make one.

daytonajesse
01-10-2006, 02:10 PM
You could prolly just snag one from a JY without anyone batting an eyelash, use JB weld to attach it. Thats what I did except for the JY part.

inmyshadow
01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Most shops can actually replace the cap part of the filler neck. My friend when he was in the business, just heated up the cap part of the filler next to rotate it. This was on a Gbody TII radiator.

He said they are just solder on. if you have a blow torch and a new cap part of the filler next, you could replace it yourself.

altered7151
01-10-2006, 04:04 PM
For the cheapy quick fix your could get a thread-in brass nipple from the hardware plumbing store and jb weld it in.

cordes
01-10-2006, 04:54 PM
I too would either JB weld it, or get one from the JY and braze it on there. It is the TM way.

omnivore
01-15-2006, 11:53 PM
I got the local rad shop to re-solder mine back in when I was too rough with it. Cost $10.

Tony Hanna
01-16-2006, 03:59 AM
I've always put them back in myself. If you've ever done any plumbing work and can solder copper pipe, there's really no difference. The main thing to watch is that you don't get it too hot.

mech1nxh
01-16-2006, 04:54 AM
I've always put them back in myself. If you've ever done any plumbing work and can solder copper pipe, there's really no difference. The main thing to watch is that you don't get it too hot.

true story there, I have reattached many using a small handheld micro
torch, clean area , heat gently, let solder flow to the heat
bam!! money!!!
p.s ...same micro torch ,j/y,...they come off just as easy....
go experiment!!!!!