PDA

View Full Version : open DP??

darrinb
11-02-2006, 07:22 PM
So I had a cutout installed on the dp of my car and while the turbo sound is great and leads the impression of more power the car feels about the same if not slower than with the stock exhaust. From everything I've read the open DP from stock is a night and day improvment in power what could be going on and what should I check out.

Car is an 86 charger T-1 with unknown custom cal new 803 injectors and boost set at 10-12 PSI and KN drop in filter with #9 heat range champion plugs I don't know what timing is or should be but the car idles good and runs good so it must be in the ok range. Any ideas?

JDAWG
11-02-2006, 07:49 PM
If you are non intercooled and using a log manifold then you my be at your limit. The log doesnt flow good and you can only get so much air into the engine. You should still see some improement though.

darrinb
11-02-2006, 08:47 PM
I cant see being at my limit already but I have wondered how bad the stock TB is and if there are any good upgrades. I guess I will just see what it does when I get the alky kit and turn the boost up

GLHSKEN
11-02-2006, 09:05 PM
The stock 2 1/4" downpipe will still be a restriction through the stock swingvalve. But seat o da pants does not do it justice. You will have improved.

TII in a GLHS 2 1/4" open dp 13.26 Larger 2.5" hogged out SV and 3" dp 12.85 with a 3 mph gain

contraption22
11-02-2006, 11:09 PM
I've run up to 18psi on a log T1 with an open DP... and it responded better with every lb of boost i kept giving it.

Mopar_Nutz
11-03-2006, 05:53 AM
I've actually noticed that with all the extra noise, it kinda makes the car seem like it's working harder and actually not getting as much to the ground. Hard to put into words, but stock exhaust seems like effortless power.
But don't be fooled! I've run the same car cutout open (VERY well modified Super Coupe), and cutout closed back to back several times, and it truly is a night and day difference. You can't always feel it but open downpipe DOES have a fair bit more power. With it closed I slowly pull away. With it open I immediately start pulling on him.

Dave
11-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Sometimes it's hard to tell. Top end performance is definately where it's noticed.

Birddog
11-04-2006, 02:48 AM
I was rollin around on an open DP for 3 days last week and I gotta ask....
How the frick can you even feel your seat much less seat of the pants on an 'open' exhaust??????????

I couldn't even focus my eyes under full throttle!!!
These are busy bees under the hood....When the muffler pulled off the lil pugger it sure felt quicker BUT.............

darrinb
11-05-2006, 08:11 PM
well I had my cutout installed off to the side of the car a ways so im sure that helps alot

Spraynlog
11-06-2006, 03:15 AM
I haven't run with the DP open, but just replacing the 2 1/4" DP with a
2 1/2" one and removing the cat cut .3 off my 1/4 mile time. It was enough to get me my first back to back high 14 second runs! :nod:

This was on a '86 log intake T1 car with no intercooler. I was using alcohol injection with a misting nozzle, powered by a windshield washer
pump. Cheap setup, but it let me run 15 lbs boost with no problems.

Dave
11-06-2006, 09:51 AM
I was rollin around on an open DP for 3 days last week and I gotta ask....
How the frick can you even feel your seat much less seat of the pants on an 'open' exhaust??????????

I couldn't even focus my eyes under full throttle!!!
These are busy bees under the hood....When the muffler pulled off the lil pugger it sure felt quicker BUT.............

Ah man, that's the only way I drove my Spirit around. I think for about 2 months straight I had an open downpipe. Cut out sat right at the foot of the DP. I hate closed exhausts. ;)