PDA

View Full Version : Reupholstery Options... Your thoughts?

devlish
11-01-2006, 12:15 AM
So i called a local upholstery shop today to inquire about the inserts in my latest project car (www.projectglh.com) that a friend and I are doing for Solo Stock Class AutoCrosses... and the guy told me he'd only charge me for materials to redo the inserts based on 3 conditions...
1. We give him the seats til february (not a problem, car is stored til March)
2. We put his name on side since we're racing the car every weekend (also not a problem, i manage a sign shop)
3. We let him do something more intersting than the stock corduroy! he suggested Suede!

What are your thoughts on this? I have NO objection to suede, but in a weekend race car?? he must be joking! but nope, he's serious.

And now he's got me thinking of doing a dark blue suede insert on the seats of MY GLH-T. The ONLY thing holding me back is that I wanted to restore my GLH to be as close to stock appearing as possible (other than motor work). So should I have my GLH done too? it would be darned comfy over that old corduroy! mine are in good shape still, but i know he'll cut me a deal on it that'd be too good to pass up. hmmm, your thoughts please????

Thanks in advance!
~Kurt

project car: www.projectglh.com
My GLH: http://webpages.charter.net/devl1sh

mcsvt
11-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I think the suede would look good. It is also a good material that you won't slip on in a tight turn, meaning it would be good for racing :)

In your GLH-T, I think it depends on how close to stock you want to stay. I say it would look great in there as well though.

devlish
11-01-2006, 10:37 AM
the more i think about it... the more i want it. it WOULD look good in there for sure, and more comfy than the corduroy too i imagine!

mpgmike
11-01-2006, 11:41 AM
My uncle had his '70 Challenger's interior redone in the late '70s with the then-popular Scottish pattern. When it came time to restore it in the late '90s he wasn't glad he did it. However, it sure looked sharp for over 10 years.

From the perspective of the upholstery shop, if they do something for nothing (for sponsorship not $$) they want people to look at their work and say, "I want that in my car!" Stock material replacement won't make any statements, but suede will catch quite a few eyes.

Personally, I have done a custom interior on 3 different vehicles and will be doing a custom on my '84 'Page. When people look at a meticulously restored stock interior, they think, "Nice". When they look at a tastefully done custom job, they think, "Holy sheets, man! God that's gorgeous!". Since you're racing, you will be in the limelight. Part of your personal statement could be one of taste as well as competence.

Mike
www.PowreHaus.com

devlish
11-01-2006, 12:15 PM
yeah, i understand the the sponsorship part, we do a few around here with decals and such for cars & teams...

i do like the stock look though, to me it says someone did the job right when they restored it. i can't help but agree however, that when people look at the suede they'll think it looks gorgeous! (more so than the corduroy anyways!!)

i think i'll let him surprise me on projectglh, and go with suede on my personal GLH. screw the stock look, the suede will look amazing and be comfy too.

speedyshelby
11-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I would do it. It would really make people wonder why there be that in a race car none the less an omni :lol: