PDA

View Full Version : ***<Turbo my Dakota>***

charger_340
10-31-2006, 12:32 AM
Well, here's the story. I have an '87 Dakota which has a carbureted 2.2. I want to convert this thing to EFI and turbo it. I understand that I'm gonna have to change wiring, fuel delivery, etc. but I'm not to sure of my own knowledge about all of this. My original plan was to just drop an older built (and still carbureted) small block in it so I wouldn't have to worry about changing wiring, fuel supply, etc. but I decided it'd be more unique to turbo the 4cyl. So I guess I need to know what I could/should use off of factory turbo cars (Daytonas, Lancers, etc.) and what I may have to custom fab or get custom made. I'm quite sure I'll need a custom intake manifold, intercooler piping, and exhaust manifold. As you can tell, I really need some help. Thanks a lot for any info you guys can provide me with.

mpgmike
10-31-2006, 12:42 AM
That conversion is simpler than you're making it out to be. All of the factory stuff will work on your Dak. You need the computer, wiring, and engine. Just bolt everything in, run the wiring, and have an exhaust shop connect the dots. You can run an intercooler if you'd like, too. The throttle body will point rearward, but should clear the firewall. Factory service manuals for your truck and the donor car will be indespensible in such an under taking for wiring.

Mike

skinnye
10-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Glad to see you found the site and people who can help you out with your project good luck

gkcooper
10-31-2006, 11:29 PM
That conversion is simpler than you're making it out to be. All of the factory stuff will work on your Dak. You need the computer, wiring, and engine. Just bolt everything in, run the wiring, and have an exhaust shop connect the dots. You can run an intercooler if you'd like, too. The throttle body will point rearward, but should clear the firewall. Factory service manuals for your truck and the donor car will be indespensible in such an under taking for wiring.

Mike

Mike, I respect you buddy, but I built my common block Dakota and I can tell you that you can barely stick your hand between the back of the head and the firewall. I really don't think the intake manifold will fit without moving the neck to the front.

I know one thing's for sure, I can't wait to find out!

Now, I need to learn how to TIG weld.

Greg K. Cooper
Huntsville, AL

GLHS592
10-31-2006, 11:48 PM
I've heard people talk about using a two piece intake and flipping the top half around.

mcsvt
11-01-2006, 10:31 AM
You guys may have seen this. But here is some info on how Mike R. did it.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125558

I was planning on buying that truck, but with my car down, the funds are to low right now.