PDA

View Full Version : Newish to me 1998 12V

Subliminal
12-28-2020, 05:05 PM
Hey guys,

Long time, no post!

Not too many folks posting in this section, these days, eh?

I sold my old 91 a few years back and always missed the thing. Its fun to tinker with a turbo...especially one that can pull the family camper around (That there, Clark, is an ARE-VEE!)

So, a few months ago, I reupped. I found a real beaut of a 98 12V 4x4 1200...last of the greats (IMO).

It had new looking paint...which of course I found out WAS new paint and was put on to hide a few rust spots...which, in short order, started to bubble. I found a replacement passenger side door in ALMOST the same color green, and installed it. The bed is so minor, I'm going to wait for it to become a real headache.

Having a door a different color really bothered me, so I actually dipped the whole truck, with a kit I also bought on Facebook ($700 kit for $100...can't complain) and sprayed the truck. Turns out the kit's pigment didn't mix right and it came out...brownish grey? I think it was relatively fortuitous, though, as the army green is a really light color, and I think the matt brown(ish?) looks good.

One day while getting fuel at the local Sunoco, the owner came out and chatted me up, and offered to sell me the 2005 Power Wagon wheels he had sitting on a shelf with 35 inch BFGs for $500. Bought and installed those (they only rub when you turn a lot...hehe) and sold the stock steelies and 265s for $450.

Installed a boost gauge and a boost elbow and upped the boost to about ~32psi.

Installed a 4k GSK to get a little more top end.

Cranked the AFC just a smidge

Bought a 29 ft 1993 Fleetwood with bunk beds for the family.

Annnnd picked up a spare 47RE and triple disc billet converter for when the transmission gives up the ghost (currently rebuilding in the garage).

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say hey, and let ya'll know I'm still repping the turbo mopars! :)

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65237&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65238&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65240&stc=1

BadAssPerformance
12-28-2020, 05:27 PM
Nice truck!

cordes
12-28-2020, 05:35 PM
That thing looks great. I would love a truck like that, but I can't justify it yet.

135sohc
12-28-2020, 09:21 PM
Fluid film and kellsport sprayer will keep it looking nice.

Later mirrors look good on those trucks.

cordes
12-29-2020, 12:07 AM
Fluid film and kellsport sprayer will keep it looking nice.

Later mirrors look good on those trucks.

I've gone all out and started to use cosmoline on everything. Everything... That may have been a bit much, but it should hopefully keep the rust away permanently.

135sohc
12-29-2020, 07:52 PM
On clean surfaces I like a wax type coating that will stay in place (like cosmoline). On surfaces that are already 'seasoned' or inaccessible I use an oil type coating that will creep and spread where a hard type coating might actually encourage more rust. Some areas a mixture of both. Every exterior fastener goes together with either thread locker or anti-seize, bolt heads get sprayed with Amsoil HD rust inhibitor after installation if in an exposed area.

cordes
12-29-2020, 09:09 PM
On clean surfaces I like a wax type coating that will stay in place (like cosmoline). On surfaces that are already 'seasoned' or inaccessible I use an oil type coating that will creep and spread where a hard type coating might actually encourage more rust. Some areas a mixture of both. Every exterior fastener goes together with either thread locker or anti-seize, bolt heads get sprayed with Amsoil HD rust inhibitor after installation if in an exposed area.

I like your style. I've recently found that used motor oil will wick amazingly well when mixed with cosmoline. I'll probably spray everything down again when it gets warm out. My wife is ready to kill me because the cars are dripping oil on everything. Our white 1st gen neon can't stop leaking oil out of the trunk lid for anything. It does wonders for the groceries...

chromguy
12-29-2020, 10:03 PM
I have started to use Cosmoline on your recommendation a few years back. It works very well

Dr. Johny Dodge
01-28-2021, 08:10 PM
re used motor oil .. don't wanna use it for rust proofing .. it stinks

as penetrating oil .. different story .. might be the acids that build up in old oil

last time I had to do the front brakes on my truck I checked the bleeders on the calipers to see if they would loosen easily the afternoon before I planed to do the job
they were stuck fast so I pulled the dipstick outta my 5.4 that gets oil changes every 17-20 thousand KM's (lol) and put a couple of drips on each bleeder..
the next morning they un-threaded like they were brand new

and yeah .. good argument against the need to spend extra on synthetic oils .. re ^ ..daily driver , mostly cold short trips .. and I trust that 5.4 to go anywhere... truck's disintegrating so not worth more than what it takes to keep it safe

Dr. Johny Dodge
01-28-2021, 08:49 PM
good example in favor of simple regular old farm yard oil spray will get the end results pictured below..

that truck was bought new in toronto in '79
it was driven most daily and oil sprayed routinely until it was given to a friend around 89/90 at ten or eleven years old

he drove it until I bought it , still running / driving daily in 91

at that time it got parked in my garage until 2015 ...project.. - it had three pinky finger tip sized holes in it

'cause.. oil sprayed .. FAITHFULLY.. worthy project shell..

up here that same truck would be floorless front and back by 83 or 84.. normally

Ondonti
03-06-2021, 03:06 AM
Gut that pump. With stock gsk my 98 doesn't even smoke unless you quick snap, and I only have 2 turns on smoke. Maxed star wheel.
Amazing power when it locks.

trannybuster
04-17-2023, 08:48 AM
Real trucks rattle!