PDA

View Full Version : Took the minivan to the track and need some tips

QC DSM ESiT
10-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Alright well for starters this is my first time ever racing the minivan and a first for ever racing an automatic. Wasn't sure exactly how to lauch an auto FWD so what I did was lauch it at about 1800 RPM but that was still pretty crappy for a lauch. I didn't get to experiment to much because it was so packed there I only got 4 runs in. Anyway here is what is done to it: MSD Blaster SS coil, Magnacore 8.5mm plug wires, NGK plugs one range colder, Autometer boost gauge, Turbo XS boost controler turned up to 12 PSI. Everything else is bone stock including the little Mitsu. turbo. Here was my best of the 4, I took out both benches, spare tire, and the jack. Any tips on how to get it down would be appreciated.

R/T - .673
60' - 2.391
330 - 6.680
1/8 - 10.327
MPH - 67.29
1000 - 13.499
1/4 - 16.194
MPH - 83.15

BIG PSI
10-30-2006, 10:23 PM
I would offer a couple ideas:

Ice the intake between rounds

Lower the tire pressure in the front tires to 25 psi

Raise the rear tire pressures to 45 psi

Move the boost to 14 psi and STOP THERE

Install a cooling fan switch so you can turn it on at the track (all the time)

If you have a/c remove the belt

Keep the gas between 1/4 to 1/2 (1/3 is best)

Check timing and set it to 12 degrees
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Install a 2.5 inch diameter exhaust..

Good luck and Have fun
Chuck

turbovanmanČ
10-30-2006, 10:48 PM
All good except no reason to remove a/c belt, when its not turned on, uses no power. The rad switch is a must otherwise it runs too hot. I wouldn't turn the boost up without a cut-out raiser-guaranteed you'll hit overboost cutout ast 14 psi.

You need stickier tires and practice launching. You should be leaving in boost but also use the brake out of the hole to control wheel spin. All in all, great job, your times are bang on for 12 psi Mitsu van.

QC DSM ESiT
10-30-2006, 11:37 PM
I don't want to turn the boost up anymore untill I have an intercooler on there. I forgot to mention that I had the tire pressure lowered to around 22PSI on that best time.

Looks I will have to install a switch to keep the fan on at all times when I want it on. Anyone know how to install one of those switches?

turbovanmanČ
10-31-2006, 12:38 AM
I don't want to turn the boost up anymore untill I have an intercooler on there. I forgot to mention that I had the tire pressure lowered to around 22PSI on that best time.

Looks I will have to install a switch to keep the fan on at all times when I want it on. Anyone know how to install one of those switches?

Find the rad fan relay on the relay center. Find the tiny blue wire at the opposite end of the other wire plug, run a wire into your cabin to a switch, then run the other switch wire to ground. This will ground the relay when you turn it on and still keep the factory control in case your forget. Always leave it on at the track, it helps tons. It will set a code but won't put the check engine light on. Oh, don't try to hook up one that lights up, it won't work if you turn the fan on this way.

DBB mini
10-31-2006, 08:30 PM
I ran 17psi on my front street radials & cut 2.1 60's. Run the biggest IC you can fit. Run a 2 stage boost controller, low boost out of the hole, high after you launch. Check out Gus Mahon's site for tons of cheap, easy mods. 2 stage boost controller can be made for $20 or less(US). Throw a 5th injector on & run 17psi or so on the mitsu w/ a cutout raiser. As always check your plugs after adding a lb of boost until you reach your target. Free flowing 3" or 2.5" exhaust, straight thru muffler.

skinnye
10-31-2006, 11:16 PM
take out the cat, easy and cheap way to open up the exhaust. Also bring the revs to around the stall of the trq. converter when you launch this will help with bogging, Also I would suggest some better tires

Dave
11-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Looks like you're babying the snot out of it out of the whole. Try coming out a little higher. Play around on the street with how you're coming out. I'd venture a guess to say you could come out around 2,100 and ease into the throttle after 10mph. Just a guess. :)

Mind you, on the street and on the track you wont be able to hook as well on the track as on the street. Unless you have drag radials or slicks.

wowzer
11-05-2006, 11:55 PM
not bad times - only have raced my mini once, 3 runs. best time was:

60ft.....2.2128
594ft...9.3703
660ft...10.0251
mph....68.72 (other 2 runs were 68.39 and 69.02)

elevation is about 3000 feet and was about 82 degrees out.

its an 89 mini, auto, mitsu, t2 intercooled, 160k miles, 2.5 exhaust, no muffler/cat. best compression on any cylinder is < 100!!! using a G-valve but the boost would start at 14/15 and work its way down to 11 by the end of the run. frustrating. this winter will be pulling the head, installing a garrett from a t2, larger injectors. original plan was to blow it up and haul it to the junk yard but now rethinking that logic. my son loves beating hondas with it!!! biggest problem (other than the fading boost) was trying to figure out the best rpm/boost at the line without lighting the tires up. using a d-cal chip. a couple guys have developed a staging mod to the cal that i want to implement so i can come to the line and just floor it and let the cal manage the rpm/boost. probably reinstall the stock wastegate solenoids and let the cal handle that also. oh ya, bought a pair of drag radials too:nod: