PDA

View Full Version : 2.2 Common block windage tray not welded

kwimmer
06-06-2020, 09:10 PM
Going to a 2.2 CB oil pan in my 2.5 Omni. My old pan has trap doors and screen welded in , would like to find a screen setup that bolts to removed balance shaft holes. Anyone making these or anyone with one for sale. Looks pretty straight forward to put together , just looking before building. Any design ideas or concerns.

Thanks
Kim

4 l-bodies
06-06-2020, 10:34 PM
Hey Kim,
Having done more than my share of R&D work on 2.2 and 2.5 oil pans, your gonna find it is rather time consuming. Think of it as a labor of love (lol). Let us know honestly how many hours you wind up having into making one. Don't think your gonna find anyone making them that uses the BS holes. So if your going to build a pan that has trap doors and windage tray, why aren't you using a higher volume 2.5 pan? You do know that 2.2 pan holds 4 quarts of oil. Maybe less after you've installed that windage tray. You might consider making a pan with a built in crank scrapper. Also that return hole for the turbo oil sprays directly onto the # 3 or 4 rod. Not good for windage, which is the whole point right?
Pretty much anyone that was modifying oil pans at one time or another is not doing it anymore. You wind up with way more time into them than you can sell them for. MP, FM, Lambros, Ed Peters, Koffel, Ed Hamburger, Ishihara-Johnson, Hollis, myself, and probably a few others, were all modifying pans at one time or another and selling them. Many others have made their own for their personal cars. As far as I know, maybe TU is still selling baffled oil pans. I will only make a baffled oil pan if I'm building a complete engine for someone, just too time consuming.
Todd

kwimmer
06-06-2020, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the note Todd. The pan I have on it now has a windage screen and a trap door , it’s a big 2.5 pan. Thought maybe I would like to try screening the 2.2 pan I have , with the extended sump. You think I might be ahead with just staying with the present pan? It holds almost 6 litres but I run it at 5.5 . I like the idea of the shorter 2.2 pan but value your comments.

Thanks
Kim

tryingbe
06-07-2020, 12:17 AM
https://www.crank-scrapers.com/Chrysler_2-2-2-5.html

$409.95.

GLHS60
06-07-2020, 01:05 AM
He specifically stated he wants something to attach to the B/S bolt holes.

Unfortunately, my good friends Ishihara-Johnson don't make one that does.

Thanks
Randy

Warren Stramer
06-07-2020, 10:55 AM
Going to a 2.2 CB oil pan in my 2.5 Omni. My old pan has trap doors and screen welded in , would like to find a screen setup that bolts to removed balance shaft holes. Anyone making these or anyone with one for sale. Looks pretty straight forward to put together , just looking before building. Any design ideas or concerns.

Thanks
Kim

This was my solution; Three steel bands and unidirectional steel screen from Moroso. anyone with mediocre skills can build one. I think I had to drill and tap two holes (front), but I used the rear balance shaft mounting holes to attach the screen and scraper.
Screen is riveted to the steel bands...…….see photos.

kwimmer
06-07-2020, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the photos, now I will have to lay awake in bed tonight thinking about how to get started. Nice work.

GLHS60
06-07-2020, 11:27 PM
Smart guys like Warren can make great things look easy!!

I'm planing to make a copy as well if Warren doesn't mind?

Ishihara-Johnson should have offered something similar.

Probably would have been a good seller.

Thanks
Randy

Warren Stramer
06-08-2020, 10:41 AM
I'm planing to make a copy as well if Warren doesn't mind?

Ishihara-Johnson should have offered something similar.

Probably would have been a good seller.

Thanks
Randy Copy all you want, Works good and costs little. I don't care if anyone copies any of my junk.

Reaper1
06-08-2020, 04:52 PM
Copy all you want, Works good and costs little. I don't care if anyone honors my brilliance by attempting to replicate the art I produce.

FIFY, Warren. ;) :clap::nod::amen:

cordes
06-08-2020, 07:18 PM
Copy all you want, Works good and costs little. I don't care if anyone copies any of my junk.

I'm off to start copying. My son will hopefully have the capability to finish it off properly, because I will never develop that skill set.