PDA

View Full Version : Suspension: WTB: Slowe K-frame

Reaper1
11-05-2019, 04:30 PM
If you have one of Brian's tubular K-frames and you aren't going to use it, don't need it anymore, or simply need $$$$, I am in the market. Yes, I know shipping sucks, so yes, I will pay shipping.

karlak
11-05-2019, 08:44 PM
I will double his offer...……..:p

BadAssPerformance
11-05-2019, 10:04 PM
I'll take one too, preferably with DJ's LCA's too

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-06-2019, 10:34 AM
..quick .. someone call china...

"I'll take one too, preferably with DJ's LCA's too"

- same here , hate to cluster up your thread but maybe we should all show some interest
(? NUDGE ? WINK ?)

- maybe a 2020 version with an added splined straight sway bar ?

Reaper1
11-06-2019, 02:25 PM
Well...I'm not good personal friends with Brian, and I understand his reasons for not making more (though I am bummed about it), so if someone that knows him well knows what kind of beer he likes, I'll pitch in for the bribe! LOL But, we have 4 people here in this thread that are interested (and presumably have funds ready to go). Maybe a group buy to make it worth his time, as I seem to remember that was the biggest issue.

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-06-2019, 02:53 PM
I think he said his issue was the fabrication jig was worn beyond use

as I'm sure was his patience by that time , understandably
-
but if someone wants to take up the cause,.. yeah I'm "in"

Skibbe
11-06-2019, 05:48 PM
In for L body k-frame and DJ's arms.

Or I'll just triple the prior offer if one surfaces... <grin>

onerippinturbo2
11-06-2019, 10:41 PM
glad i got one sitting aside now

EaZyE426
11-06-2019, 11:14 PM
glad i got one sitting aside now

Can you shoot me some pictures of it? I am curious.

Thanks

cordes
11-07-2019, 01:10 AM
So, group buy then?

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-07-2019, 01:30 AM
- - - Updated - - -

"So, group buy then?"

that or a star trek style replicator .. I'd have lots of uses for one..

...THE original announcement thread with pics in the first post

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?56319-Tubular-K-frames-now-available

reading some of that ^ I had to stop to LOL...
guys dropping factory crossmembers in L bodies to do trans in/out's
lolol ol..

jack for the car , stands and an engine hoist.. use hoist to lower trans out and raise back in
best of all you don't have to hold it up and figure stuff out at the same time and it's MUCH easier to align when it has no weight

Reaper1
11-07-2019, 02:33 PM
So now we have roughly 8 people seriously interested?

karlak
11-07-2019, 02:46 PM
I am.

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-07-2019, 02:59 PM
yeah ,
.. thinking ,
...as long as the crossmembers and drive shaft shop axles don't end up "happening" at the same time

that could be frustrating for more than just me

karlak
11-07-2019, 03:05 PM
yeah ,
.. thinking ,
...as long as the crossmembers and drive shaft shop axles don't end up "happening" at the same time

that could be frustrating for more than just me

I would come up with the cash some way. Both of these are in the unobtainium class.

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-07-2019, 03:14 PM
side thought
a water jet cut piece of steel plate that can be pounded to fit the underside of the stamped D-P control arms would be a good project

then you / we can box the control arms NASCAR style and still keep 'em "light"
add the caravan strap for giggles .. and they should be every bit as good as the tubular ones

the underside could be notched out for the sway bar to fit in or the s - bar could simply attach flat under the now flat bottomed control arm with some of Jay's heim joint ends..

and if modifying the tubular K frame means a slightly lower mounting position for the center bushings then maybe there's your geometry correction too

bar is simply a little closer to the ground all the way across - notching the underside steering rack mount points wouldn't be difficult either as long as you clear the ft to bk bars at each side

wheming
11-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Seems a bit cruel to post this, but here are pics of one of my TWO as yet unused Slower tubular k-members.

I won't presume to speak for Brian because I think he had already expressed the reason that it would be unlikely to see another batch anytime.
These are very time consuming to undertake. Look at these pics, see all the notched tubing, and all the tig welding. I don't know how many hours go into each one, but it has to be substantial.
He had undertaken these when he had a slower period over winter iirc. I don't think he has a slow period any longer. Everytime I visit the shop, it is full of cars and projects from members here, on top of his routine customers and fleet maintenance.

The price seemed reasonable for what we got, but they weren't cheap. But I bet if you add up the cost of materials, and the time and labor and welding, there probably wasn't that big of a profit in doing them.
They are a real work of art, though. That's for sure!

One of mine with DJ's arms is meant for Slug.
The other may make its way into my Spirit. Not sure yet. Neither of mine got powder coated yet.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191108/7fb9d55bbba1055b728a6e3c4b1a07b9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191108/5083ec9469feae9b9d53129afc71f6c1.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

GLHNSLHT2
11-08-2019, 04:36 PM
IIRC there are no provisions for a sway bar on them right? IIR that's why I wasn't too keen on getting one.

wheming
11-08-2019, 04:48 PM
No, there was never his intention to provide a away bar provision.
In fact that was one thing I was hung up about too.
Brian had a link to a universal torsional sway bar setup, but was not going to invest in the details to mount.
BUT, as the guys who are using this will tell you, with a properly selected spring rate on your could, it is much less of an issue than you would think.

That is one reason I never installed mine, as I wanted some sway bar. But I'm frequently told it becomes unnecessary.

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-08-2019, 05:06 PM
while this entire discussion is likely moot it would still be interesting to see one of the k frames with the control arms stuck in place and the sway bar laid on top - just for the sake of seeing where the bar sits in relation to the parts of the K frame

wheming
11-08-2019, 05:15 PM
I have some cast control arms, but no spare sway bar, and no spare time to lay that out.
The k-frame was easy to get to, so I had time to snap some quick pics of it, for any who haven't seen one.

Reaper1
11-11-2019, 03:56 PM
No, there was never his intention to provide a away bar provision.
In fact that was one thing I was hung up about too.
Brian had a link to a universal torsional sway bar setup, but was not going to invest in the details to mount.
BUT, as the guys who are using this will tell you, with a properly selected spring rate on your could, it is much less of an issue than you would think.

That is one reason I never installed mine, as I wanted some sway bar. But I'm frequently told it becomes unnecessary.

I tend to agree that a well set-up suspension on these cars doesn't necessarily need a front sway bar. I find the car rides better and handles just as well, but doesn't get upset when hitting bumps. There's a tad more body lean, but as long as my tires are on the road...I can deal with that!