PDA

View Full Version : What would cause 30 second cutout?

Holley
01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
This isn't for me, but what would cause a TD ('84 T1 auto) thats not been in regular use (but was a good runner) to cut out after 30 seconds of running?

Suggestions greatfully recieved :)

cordes
01-09-2006, 07:36 PM
This isn't for me, but what would cause a TD ('84 T1 auto) thats not been in regular use (but was a good runner) to cut out after 30 seconds of running?

Suggestions greatfully recieved :)

You are saying that after exactly 30 seconds of running, it dies every time it is fired up?

altered7151
01-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Any codes? Just a guess, but maybe if its been sitting a while, it sucked something up in the fuel tank and plugged up the fuel system somewhere.

Holley
01-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Apparently it did this a few times, but will now not start. I'm trying to buy the car, so don't want to be too helpful to the current owner ;)

I guess I kinda bent the truth when I said it wasn't for me, lol.

Thanks for the ideas guys :)

altered7151
01-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah tell him its toast and will have to be completely rebuilt, that outta lower the price a little. I'd slap a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what its at. Maybe bad HEP.

Tony Hanna
01-10-2006, 01:13 AM
I'm with Tyler on the possiable bad HEP. I also saw a single engine airplane crash shortly after takeoff due to the same symptoms. The coil turned out to be the cause in that case.

Holley
01-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I also saw a single engine airplane crash shortly after takeoff due to the same symptoms.
If TDs could fly none of us would be alive, lol.

Again, thanks for the advice :) It'll be a few days before I can seal the deal, so fingers crossed!

87glhs232
01-10-2006, 04:51 PM
If TDs could fly none of us would be alive
:lol:

Maybe fuel pump. Dont they sometimes work on startup only to die shortly after? Thought I read that somewhere...

I'm with altered7151, slap a pressure gauge on there to see whats up.

Tony Hanna
01-10-2006, 04:56 PM
If TDs could fly none of us would be alive, lol.

Ain't that the truth!
At least the pilot wasn't killed. He did hit hard enough to snap the control cables to the rudder and fold up the gear on one side. It turns out that he had made an emergency landing in a hayfield because he lost power and after working on his plane and thinking he had it fixed, tried to take off again. The engine died before he had enough altitude to glide back in, so he put it down pretty hard.
Anyhow, good luck with your upcoming purchase. Sounds like you shouldn't have much trouble at all getting the bugs worked out.:thumb:

Holley
01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Maybe fuel pump. Dont they sometimes work on startup only to die shortly after? Thought I read that somewhere...

I'm with altered7151, slap a pressure gauge on there to see whats up.
Yeah, borderline fuel pumps sometimes work for the priming spin when you first turn on the ignition ...

I'm currently 'in negotiations' :p

bill2
01-12-2006, 12:23 AM
... it sucked something up in the fuel tank and plugged up the fuel system somewhere.
I'll put my vote in for crud in the tank. I had a very similar problem in a car that sat for a few years.

Holley
01-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Well if it is that I can get it sorted quickly and in a magazine photo shoot just down the road on the 22nd :) Fingers crossed.