PDA

View Full Version : EGT question

Birddog
10-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Starting to put parts together for next years motor and was wondering what would be best to use.
First choice would be this EGT setup
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aircraft-4-Cylinder-EGT-Probes-TSOd-STCd_W0QQitemZ330041302999QQihZ014QQcategoryZ26436 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
OR
go with something like the Innovate/wideband
OR
should both be used for optimum tuning??
Engine will be most likely a 2.2 hybrid(already got the head so why not?) built to run 18-20lbs constant, ZEX wet 125 kit, :blah: Could go on and on here but it's not all worked out yet. But if I get all the nickel & dime parts in a big pile it'll be easier to attack and build the thing quicker!

Thanks for any input here.

MiniMopar
10-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Well, for tuning I would say a WB should be a priority. Obviously, it would be awesome to have both, but if I were to have to choose I'd go with a WB and maybe a single probe EGT if the budget allowed.

Frank
10-25-2006, 08:33 PM
I have that exact EGT gauge in my car Birddog. I have yet to get all cylinders to work properly. I have not had the time to call them to determine what is wrong. I am used crimps, solder, and now am using a screw terminal strip to connect the probes to the gauge wiring. In addition, if I hook the probes to my Omega 2 probe, things show up just fine.

I think the gauge is maybe fine and that mabye I am either doing something wrong or my calibration is wrong.

Frank

BadAssPerformance
10-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Are you using the proper type of thermocouple wire? Screw terminals are probably prefered, that is how all of Omegas stuff is... www.omega.com

WB-O2 kicks --- :thumb:

Frank
10-25-2006, 09:14 PM
I am. It is definently with the gauge itself. The #2 cylinder per the guage always work no matter which cylinder I actually hook up to it thru multiple methods.

Frank

Birddog
10-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Well, for tuning I would say a WB should be a priority. Obviously, it would be awesome to have both, but if I were to have to choose I'd go with a WB and maybe a single probe EGT if the budget allowed.
I may try to do both, I'd like to have 1 probe/cyl too....Which brings me to...

I have that exact EGT gauge in my car Birddog. I have yet to get all cylinders to work properly. I have not had the time to call them to determine what is wrong. I am used crimps, solder, and now am using a screw terminal strip to connect the probes to the gauge wiring. In addition, if I hook the probes to my Omega 2 probe, things show up just fine.
I think the gauge is maybe fine and that mabye I am either doing something wrong or my calibration is wrong.
Frank

I was hoping someone here had that setup, looks like it'd be ideal for this app but wondered about using avionics in a car. Is it possible the gauge can't refresh properly with throttle position of a car vs the relatively constant speed of aircraft engines??

Are you using the proper type of thermocouple wire? Screw terminals are probably prefered, that is how all of Omegas stuff is... www.omega.com

WB-O2 kicks --- :thumb:

THANKS for the link! Now I have a new toy store!

Frank
10-25-2006, 09:32 PM
I was hoping someone here had that setup, looks like it'd be ideal for this app but wondered about using avionics in a car. Is it possible the gauge can't refresh properly with throttle position of a car vs the relatively constant speed of aircraft engines??

Not at all. It is purely an electrical/calibration issue. The thing is sweet and has some awesome features and unlike some 4 probe setups, it is fast in scan and display.

Frank

Birddog
10-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Cool! I'm going to look in to it a bit more now...:eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
10-26-2006, 08:30 AM
THANKS for the link! Now I have a new toy store!

LOL... cool. The guiys there are pretty helpful on their tech line too but dont expect them to know about cars, just temp measurements, LOL.