PDA

View Full Version : E-code or Hella Spirit headlights?

Sethyboy85
10-24-2006, 12:13 AM
I am trying to find E-code or Hella head lights for my spirit as I plan to put HID in them, would rather use a headlight better suited to the HID than a stock replacement.

thanks

ShelbyZD
10-28-2006, 03:00 PM
I dont know if the R/T uses the same headlights as a 87-89 Tona.. but a word of warning of so.

I bought the 165mm Free form H4 conversion headlight kit for my 88 and the lenses are just horrible. The beam pattern on them sucks.

turbovanmanČ
10-28-2006, 05:20 PM
I would use the stockers. I have put HID's in my Van and my 98 Jimmy, the light output is great. The Jimmy worked better than my Van as the lenses are so big, I can't stop blinding the guys in front of me, I am going to tape off an inch or so at the top.

GLHNSLHT2
11-05-2006, 05:27 PM
I have the Hella E-code Free Forms in my ShelbyZ. And the beam pattern and light output rocks! I just got back from a 3000+ mile round trip with lots of night driving. I couldn't use the high beams but more than 3 times because of traffic I was passing or cars coming the other way but it was un-needed. I had Zero eye strain. Avoided 3 or 4 dead animals on the freeway with ease. Way way way better than the stockers. If you think the beam pattern sucks you need to make sure you're getting full voltage to the lights. These are the best lights I've ever driven with other than my GLH which has the old style parabolic Ecodes from Hella and 4 Hella 550 driving lights for those dark back roads :)

Anyway The spirit can't use any of these though. You need to find a set of factory lights from Europe. And make sure they have an E1 marking on them. This signifies that they're for left hand driving countries. You don't want a set from England and end up blinding all the on-coming drivers. With the Ecodes just put in an H4 bulb, relay the wiring so you're getting full voltage to the lights and enjoy.

Speedeuphoria
11-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Anyway The spirit can't use any of these though. You need to find a set of factory lights from Europe. And make sure they have an E1 marking on them. This signifies that they're for left hand driving countries. You don't want a set from England and end up blinding all the on-coming drivers. With the Ecodes just put in an H4 bulb, relay the wiring so you're getting full voltage to the lights and enjoy.

You mean like the glass lens headlights I bought for my Spirit? I looked up the Chrysler Saratoga(european Spirit)and found the dealer can't order them because they are an export part(part number 4576-404 and 4576-405), so they told me that they showed one somewhere in Texas. They gave me the number and I found that they showed both lights, I bought them. I'll post some pics later, the wire colors are the same(allready soldered them in) and the front lights are 55/65 Watts H-4 asymetric driving lights with 'real' front-glasses . Also they have an extra little bulb in them that according to the wire colors is on in the headlight when the parking lights are on.

Here are the Saratoga differences:http://members.aol.com/phw1auto/sfchange.htm

Simon I would like more info about the HID setup you used

GLHNSLHT2
11-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Yes the saratoga lights are Ecodes. They should have a little E1 in a circle on them. The small light is a "city" light. Yes it's a real thing the ricers picked up on.

ShelbyZD
11-17-2006, 11:16 PM
I have the Hella E-code Free Forms in my ShelbyZ. And the beam pattern and light output rocks! I just got back from a 3000+ mile round trip with lots of night driving. I couldn't use the high beams but more than 3 times because of traffic I was passing or cars coming the other way but it was un-needed. I had Zero eye strain. Avoided 3 or 4 dead animals on the freeway with ease. Way way way better than the stockers. If you think the beam pattern sucks you need to make sure you're getting full voltage to the lights. These are the best lights I've ever driven with other than my GLH which has the old style parabolic Ecodes from Hella and 4 Hella 550 driving lights for those dark back roads :)

Did you rewire yours? I'm not sure getting more voltage to it would make a difference. The hottest light spots on each light are great, but they are very narrow and the rest of the light output isnt so great. I also ditched the +40 lamps that came with them in favour of the brighter Silverstar bulbs.. it did help some.. but they still leave a lot to be desired. The high beam on the whole setup is AWESOME though.. unfortuntaly I rarely get to use em. :(

GLHNSLHT2
11-18-2006, 12:37 AM
Yes i re-wired mine, even though they were much better than the stockers with the stock wiring I found I was losing 3v between the battery and the back of the headlight. So I relayed them in. That REALLY woke them up! I have yet to pass a car at night traveling the same direction where my lights aren't throwing more light on the road surface than them. And that's with the stock 55/60w bulbs they came with. Losing something light 1v at the headlights drops them to 75% of their total light output. It's not linear.

Mario
09-10-2009, 06:28 PM
You mean like the glass lens headlights I bought for my Spirit? I looked up the Chrysler Saratoga(european Spirit)and found the dealer can't order them because they are an export part(part number 4576-404 and 4576-405), so they told me that they showed one somewhere in Texas. They gave me the number and I found that they showed both lights, I bought them. I'll post some pics later, the wire colors are the same(allready soldered them in) and the front lights are 55/65 Watts H-4 asymetric driving lights with 'real' front-glasses . Also they have an extra little bulb in them that according to the wire colors is on in the headlight when the parking lights are on.

Here are the Saratoga differences:http://members.aol.com/phw1auto/sfchange.htm

Simon I would like more info about the HID setup you used

You have closeup pics of these? I'm trying to source some of these right now from Europe. I see that a lot of the saratogas came with factory fogs too...wonder if the fogs are glass as well.

Speedeuphoria
09-20-2009, 01:38 AM
I'll see what I can do about a pic later this week. If I forget pm me and I'll get pics