PDA

View Full Version : MiniDash for PalmOS (Beta1)

ShelGame
10-23-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure if there many guys here that could use this yet, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

I just posted the installer for my MiniDash logging ap for PalmOS to the D-Cal group.

It's basically modelled after a recording tach with the capability to also log speed, MAP, O2, TPS, PW, and knock retard on all 4 cylinders. The recorded data can be transferred to a PC using the supplied conduit (which is automatically installed and registered with HotSync by the installer). It's not bug free, yet, hence the Beta1 designation. But, I think it's pretty close. I guess we'll see.

My test platform is a PalmIIIxe (which can be bought on eBay used for ~$15US). I needed to install the Afterburner hack and overclock it to get enough graphics speed (MiniDash is pretty graphics intensive - for a Palm anyway). Some newer Handspring devices are probably fast enough. For reference, my Palm now shows 164% on the Quartus benchmark utility (running at 26mhz). Any Palm with a DragonballEZ processor should be able to go to at least 26, probably 28Mhz safely.

MiniDash requires PalmOS version 3.5 or newer. This is becuase I use transparency in the graphics to gain some speed. Versions prior to 3.5 do not support transparency. Plus, they don't use the DragonballEZ and probably wouldn't be fast enough anyway.

Here's the catch: MiniDash also requires Jason Richardson's (xrattiracer) serial logger code mod to work (the '89 T2 cal is available with this mod on D-Cal). It absolutely WILL NOT WORK on an unmodified cal. Sorry.

There's a user manual included in the installer that should answer most questions. I think the interface is pretty straight forward, though.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Enjoy,

mcsvt
10-23-2006, 11:41 PM
I saw it posted today. Looks great. I will have to try this when I get my setup up and running.

Thanks for all the great contributions :thumb:

Clay
10-24-2006, 10:16 AM
will this work with an 87 LM setup?

TurboGLH
10-24-2006, 10:26 AM
will this work with an 87 LM setup?

I suppose if you changed the serial rate in the cal it would probably work.

ShelGame
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
For the '87, you'd have to add the high-speed logger code mod. It completely changes the serial handlers in the code. As of now, no one has done that to an LM. But, there's no reason it couldn't be done...

ShelGame
10-24-2006, 11:31 AM
For the guys that don't have (or want to implement) the serial code mod, I have something else coming. :)

Frank
10-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Good timing Rob. I just released the website today. All tech support and general questions for current released versions can be directed here: http://www.squirrelpf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14. The development and beta testing area you see is by application and approval by Rob only.

Frank

MiniMopar
10-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Wow, sounds like my dusty, old Visor Platinum will be perfect for this. I think it ran at 33MHz. Awesome job Rob. It is clear you spent a lot of time polishing the interface. A labor of love, clearly!

Frank
10-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey Rob, is the slider bar the playback for later versions or is that the knock indication level we discussed before. Just curious because I do see the throttle position meter implemented.

Frank

ShelGame
10-24-2006, 01:07 PM
The slider is for playback control. I'm still mulling over the knock indicator system. On the one hand, I know I could do more with the info available, but it's really kind of hard to beat a simple knock light. The area where it says "MiniDash Ver b0.01" is actually the space I'd use for the knock indicator system, if I can think of a simple way to implement it.

The TPS indicator came out kind of nice, I think. That was a good idea, Frank.

ShelGame
11-01-2006, 12:44 PM
I just posted MiniDash B2 to Yahoo D-Cal.

Here's the big change - I added support for stock (ie - without the serial code mod) ECU's. If your ECU is listed under the "Memory Map" drop down in the Prefs form, then it should work. I do paln to add the '85 and '86 T1 memory maps in the near future.

So, now, MiniDash will work with ANY cal on ANY ECU (87-91). If your codebase is not currently supported, let me know and I'll try to add it as quickly as I can.

Of course, it will still work with the modified code as well.

Recording/playback will be noticeably slower on stock serial code since the logging speed is limited to ~30 samples/sec.

I also added Hi-Res (320x320) support. Still only black and white, though. Color coming soon...