PDA

View Full Version : Limits on T2 WG can

Dave
01-09-2006, 10:40 AM
I remember reading something on The Dodge Garage about swapping over to a '88 T2 Garrett "large can" waste gate can, which has a tighter spring which will allow for more boost.

But what are the limits on the 89'+ Garrett's WG can? How many pounds can I use on this can?

I have a small and large can available, so I'm just wondering. Maybe later in the year I'll decide to up to the +40's and turn the boost towards 24psi. ;)

cordes
01-09-2006, 11:17 AM
If you have both just run the larger one. I have shimmed a small can to hold 22PSI. It should be a lot easier to get big boost out of the big can.

GLHNSLHT2
01-09-2006, 02:10 PM
read again, 87 and 88 T2 has the small wussy little can that wouldn't hold 11psi on my 2.5 even shimmed. 89 T2 (The last year of the T2 garrett) had the big can and will boost my turbo to 20psi easy. I'm either maxxed out at the compressor (easy enough) or the talons are leaking enough boost but I can't hear them leak.

cordes
01-09-2006, 07:23 PM
read again, 87 and 88 T2 has the small wussy little can that wouldn't hold 11psi on my 2.5 even shimmed. 89 T2 (The last year of the T2 garrett) had the big can and will boost my turbo to 20psi easy. I'm either maxxed out at the compressor (easy enough) or the talons are leaking enough boost but I can't hear them leak.

Thanks for clearing that up, I missed the mixup in his origional post.

89DaytonaTII
01-09-2006, 07:57 PM
remember that a large can is going to be about 17yrs old, it's not going to perform as well as once did and the springs will deteriorate differently. That said the last large can I used held 17psi w/o any shims and had a non-adjustable arm. Shimmed it probably would have held ~20-22psi.

I've since swapped to a brand new garrett unit from TU, only way to go IMO. Rock solid boost control, no shimm's, no guessing, no hoping it'll hold more this time, it just works with no issues.

cordes
01-09-2006, 07:59 PM
remember that a large can is going to be about 17yrs old, it's not going to perform as well as once did and the springs will deteriorate differently. That said the last large can I used held 17psi w/o any shims and had a non-adjustable arm. Shimmed it probably would have held ~20-22psi.

I've since swapped to a brand new garrett unit from TU, only way to go IMO. Rock solid boost control, no shimm's, no guessing, no hoping it'll hold more this time, it just works with no issues.

A new can is certianly the way to go, but I bet you could get as much pressure as your turbo will flow with a decent condition large can and a couple washers from the hardware store.

I guess it just depends on what is in your budget.

CSX321
01-09-2006, 10:44 PM
FWIW, here's some info on what I did with a large can:
http://www.shelbycsx.com/csx321/buildup/wastegate.htm

It worked out great.

cordes
01-10-2006, 12:48 AM

It worked out great.

Nice writeup. Thanks for posting it.

Mario
01-10-2006, 02:34 AM

It worked out great.

If anyone needs threaded wastegate actuator rod ends, I've got about 50 of them from Turbonetics. All brand new. $2 each.

89DaytonaTII
01-10-2006, 05:32 PM
A new can is certianly the way to go, but I bet you could get as much pressure as your turbo will flow with a decent condition large can and a couple washers from the hardware store.

I guess it just depends on what is in your budget.
when using a stock turbo I agree, but the stock large can never did bolt up nice to the T4 housing anyway :)

cordes
01-10-2006, 05:47 PM
when using a stock turbo I agree, but the stock large can never did bolt up nice to the T4 housing anyway :)

No kidding, it was a kick in the nuts to make my own WG bracket and arm for the large can I had off of the turbo on my turbo coupe.

Dave
01-11-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't know what type of can is on the van right now (it's like 20 miles away in a garage) but I know it has seen 20psi while spiking, and solidly held 18psi. I remember looking at it and I don't think it was the large can.

Oh and sorry for the typo, I did mean '89 can, not '88. I'm a little retarded sometimes.

Chris W
01-13-2006, 02:46 PM
If anyone needs threaded wastegate actuator rod ends, I've got about 50 of them from Turbonetics. All brand new. $2 each.

Hi Mario,

Do you have the short or long version?

Chris-TU

Mario
01-15-2006, 02:51 AM
Not sure Chris. They are 58.6 MM from end to end.