PDA

View Full Version : Engine: CS Shelby Oil Cap for sale!

16vGLHS
04-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Date: 30th April 2019
Username: 16vGLHS
City, State, Zip: Part ships from South Florida
Price: $60

CS Shelby Oil cap in excellent used condition. Has a very small ding in the cap which can most likely be knocked back flat with a cold chisel/punch. Otherwise it's like new. These are getting harder and harder to come by and look great for car shows on your CSX, CSX-T, GLHS, or other Shelby/Dodge (or Dodge/Shelby) collector car! Pic is of the exact/actual cap you will receive. $6 for Priority Mail shipping. I accept PayPal or CC. First person to PM gets it.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64022&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64023&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64024&stc=1

Sun.stance
05-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Original part or repro?

16vGLHS
05-07-2019, 10:11 PM
I have no idea. How do you tell the difference?

4 l-bodies
05-08-2019, 08:20 PM
I have no idea. How do you tell the difference?
I'll take a stab at this since OP is stumped. The reproduction caps had a slightly wider first bright ring around them. Wider in thickness than the second ring. The Mopar SL medallions that the originals were made from, had both rings the same thickness. Judging by the photos, I'd say for certain this is a reproduction from Positive Impressions. IMO, the reproduction medallions were actually better as far as quality than the originals! Most all the PI ones were originally wrinkle black for some reason? Neither caps paint held up very well, as neither prepped the metal cap very well, opting for just some rattle can paint, probably without even any primer. Often chipped and flaking before you got them unpacked.
Todd

racerx20
05-16-2019, 08:57 PM
Payment sent.

2.216VTurbo
05-16-2019, 09:02 PM
I'll take a stab at this since OP is stumped. The reproduction caps had a slightly wider first bright ring around them. Wider in thickness than the second ring. The Mopar SL medallions that the originals were made from, had both rings the same thickness. Judging by the photos, I'd say for certain this is a reproduction from Positive Impressions. IMO, the reproduction medallions were actually better as far as quality than the originals! Most all the PI ones were originally wrinkle black for some reason? Neither caps paint held up very well, as neither prepped the metal cap very well, opting for just some rattle can paint, probably without even any primer. Often chipped and flaking before you got them unpacked.
Todd

Which Shelby cars got the original caps 4L?

4 l-bodies
05-16-2019, 11:53 PM
Which Shelby cars got the original caps 4L?
None that I am aware of. Tim Pettijohn made them up using SL wheel medallion and sold them through catalog at Whittier. That is why he referred to them as the $50 oil cap. That is what he claims it cost him to purchase the medallion and cap through the dealership. My understanding is he had trouble getting enough caps, not the medallions. That is the same issue David at PI had. Here is a picture of an original and of one of PI reproductions. Both caps were repainted. Original left, reproduction on right. Script is a hair different on repro too.
Todd