PDA

View Full Version : High idle

Wastelands Warrior
11-28-2018, 05:08 PM
Car is a 91 Spirit RT. All stock except for a cold air intake and oil catch can. Car will idle fine at start up, but when slowing down and stopping in traffic the idle hangs at 1400 rpm or so. Idle at start up is 800 to 1000 rpm. I've checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing. The IAC was replaced at one point because I went through some water and it splashed up into the engine bay. At that point the idle was fluctuating really up and down but a new IAC did the trick. I also put in a new throttle body gasket when I had the throttle body off to replace the IAC. The car runs fine other than the high idle, and I'm getting ready to put it away for the winter. Any insight is appreciated.

tryingbe
11-28-2018, 06:00 PM
Is your speed sensor reporting the correct speed in the OBD scanner?

Wastelands Warrior
11-28-2018, 06:40 PM

Just actually picked up a scanner this week and haven't tried it out yet.

rgl10
11-28-2018, 09:07 PM
Hopefully your scanner will have live data. Watch the IAC counts when coming to a stop. If they drop to zero then the computer is trying to slow down the idle but the engine is getting air somewhere else so its probably a vacuum leak of some sort. If its up over more than 10 to 20 steps then the computer is holding it up there. Low refrigerant that causes the ac clutch to cycle really fast can cause a fast idle when the ac or defroster is on. Hopefully the iac or ais whatever you want to call it is the correct one for that car. There are different pintle sizes on some of those. It does not have a custom calibration in the computer does it?

cordes
11-28-2018, 10:12 PM
Whenever I have a high idle under those conditions, I know it's time to get the carb cleaner out and thoroughly clean the TB especially the IAC portion.

Wastelands Warrior
11-29-2018, 04:23 AM
Hopefully your scanner will have live data. Watch the IAC counts when coming to a stop. If they drop to zero then the computer is trying to slow down the idle but the engine is getting air somewhere else so its probably a vacuum leak of some sort. If its up over more than 10 to 20 steps then the computer is holding it up there. Low refrigerant that causes the ac clutch to cycle really fast can cause a fast idle when the ac or defroster is on. Hopefully the iac or ais whatever you want to call it is the correct one for that car. There are different pintle sizes on some of those. It does not have a custom calibration in the computer does it?

The calibration is stock and the IAC was replaced with a correct replacement about 2 years ago.

chromguy
11-29-2018, 10:05 AM
Whenever I have a high idle under those conditions, I know it's time to get the carb cleaner out and thoroughly clean the TB especially the IAC portion.

Absolutely!! I need to do this 2-3 times per year as my car is a DD and I have the old style AIS.

DoubleD
11-29-2018, 12:04 PM
I second this, any time my speed sensor starts acting up, my idle coming to a stop goes all out of wack.

tryingbe
11-29-2018, 12:26 PM
I second this, any time my speed sensor starts acting up, my idle coming to a stop goes all out of wack.

I gone though three 2 wire sensors before I converted to a 3 wire sensor, no issue yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F83NtIg4x7I

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-29-2018, 12:36 PM
idle speed motor issues that won't go away with new ais installation..

had this issue with my TII converted 86 TZ
used an 88 harness so I didn't have an ais wiring conversion to deal with

so anyway , car ran like poo
threw code for AIS
okdoky , install new AIS .. no fix , same problem remains

so, scratching my head I asked myself what's the closest thing to the AIS that could be causing an idle speed issue?

turned out it was one of those close to genius moments

throttle position sensor...don't get any closer than that..

I pulled one of the other car next to mine and sure enough all the issue was solved .. instantly

I swapped the old ais back on
problem came back

swapped the new ais back on , swapped old tps back in
problem came back again

so.. it wanted BOTH the AIS and TPS but never bothered to tell me about the TPS

it was then I figured also my car must be a girl car ....

(different issue, -stalling at a stop can also be caused by a leaking brake booster)

Wastelands Warrior
11-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Had to do some work on my daily driver today so tried using the Spirit for some running around. Now it's idling at 1800 to 2000 rpm. Think it's time to put it in the garage for the winter...

Wastelands Warrior
12-05-2018, 04:05 PM
Changed out the speed sensor today. No help, idle even seems more erratic. Gotta get to the throttle body and IAC I guess

masterjr33
12-05-2018, 04:24 PM
sounds like it bud. time to clean it out.

supercrackerbox
12-06-2018, 02:02 PM
My Daytona does the exact same thing, but only when the defrost is on . . . which is supposed to raise the idle to account for turning the AC pump, but that's currently disconnected due to a bad clutch.