PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder head opinion

Dan H
07-27-2018, 12:44 AM
I know what that say about opinions... yet I'm still going to ask.

I started checking over one of my heads a bit closer than I had before. I saw what I thought was a lot of pitting in and around the combustion chamber. At first I thought it was just spots in the casting that came out during porting. But they are also on the previously machined surface, inside of the fire ring. I also noticed one of the chambers had a ripple spot. I'm curious if this is a sign of a previous weld repair that wasn't completely smoothed out or could it actually be from high temp and melting?
Would the pitting be a sign of high temps and detonation?
Should either of these issues be addressed before using?
Opinions? 629266292762925

Turbo Joe
07-27-2018, 02:14 AM
it looks like it's had some welding repair work done to it, but over the internet pics can be deceiving. Honestly the best advice I can give is with something like that, is to pressure test it.

mopar-tech
07-27-2018, 05:41 AM
Seen a lot of 2.2 heads, some of the castings were not the best quality and it looks like pitting/porosity I have seen before.

My vote is no weld, normal casting.

Gary

Dan H
07-27-2018, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking I'll have a machine shop check it and probably do a valve job before using. I'll likely try smoothing out the ripple spot and some other areas in the chambers. Maybe I'll remember to bring it to the BBQ.

I wonder if the pitting could lead to any hotspots or detonation when pushed later compared to a casting without it.