PDA

View Full Version : Starter issue

89DaytonaTII
01-09-2006, 12:29 AM
The starter on my 90 2.5T1 Daytona just took a instantaneous dump. I took a look at it once I got it in the garage and I can see that there was a short at the terminals on the starter, melted plastic has drooped down from the terminals.

Obviously the starter has to be removed, but could there be a reason other than the starter itself that caused the short? I suppose I will test the starter once it's out but I like hearing other peoples thoughts too. thanks!

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Sounds like the typical melted solenoid from the turbo trick. Very common. After you get a new one in, buy a DEI heat shield blanket from your hi-po parts store and after you install the starter, wrap it around. I did it to mine and no more melting starter.

89DaytonaTII
01-09-2006, 01:57 AM
yeah there's no heat shield on the starter currently.

but the way it went doesn't seem like it melted from turbo produced heat. The car has always started great, then the last time I went to start it the starter turned for a split second then nothing. *Seemed* like an electrical short because of how it happened.

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2006, 02:16 AM
And thats what happens, they work and then BAM, they don't.

Dave
01-09-2006, 10:33 AM
I hate those heat shields... they are a huge pain in the butt to fit in. Even after removing the oil drain tube and the turbo support bracket I couldn't fit it in.

I'd just go out and buy some fibergalss insulation type stuff that's heat tested and zip-tie it around the starter

89DaytonaTII
01-09-2006, 05:05 PM
as I was removing the busted starter today I noticed that the large + terminal was connected correctly as it should be, but the little - terminal wasn't even on the stud! it was just floating in close proximity and probably just barely touching. I was suprised the car had even been starting every time for the last 5 months?

turbo xtc
04-30-2006, 10:26 AM
i hate those thing too so i had a friend who works in a foundry get me some heat blaket that they use around molten aluninum and when i did my head gasket i put a piece over the back side of the block it helps to keep my coolant low in the block and i fabricated a piece for around the starter and used a small piece of aluninum like a pop can to go around the piece over the starter it works great and this heat blanket will withstand degrees around 2600 which is the melting point of steel