PDA

View Full Version : A/C Question

GLHS592
01-09-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm thinking about rounding up the parts to swap a 2.4 turbo motor into my recently acquired Shelby Charger. I'd like to have air conditioner in the car since it is a factory air car and I'm wimpy. I know very little about air conditioning systems. What would it take to get a later model A/C compressor to work in a Shelby Charger? Could you mix and match and charge the system with R134-A? Would everything fit under the hood?

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2006, 12:46 AM
I am in the same boat as you. Are you swapping in the complete 2.4 engine? if so, grab the a/c compressor and mounting bracket, and the lines that go to the comp. You will need to install it with the lines then look at your other lines. Measure etc then take both sets to a hose repair shop and he can use the ends from both sets and make you a new assembly. As for charging, I would take it to a known good A/C shop and they can calculate the correct charge. Oh, as long as the original comp worked, it will be fine with 134a if it ran with R12. I don't know your laws but I don't think it works backwards, if you have and are keeping R12, I am unsure if a R134 comp will work but you can still buy new ones that can use both so that is a way out.

GLHS592
01-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks! I'd like to swap the complete engine and mate it to a 555/568. I just wonder if this would all fit under an L-body hood.

Frank
01-09-2006, 10:27 AM
My opinon is this... if the compressor mounts in an almost identical location, use the 2.4 compressor. Then make an adapter plate out of aluminum to mount the two different flanges together.

Frank

GLHS592
01-09-2006, 11:23 AM
That's not a bad idea, but these stock A/C hoses are dry rotted anyway. I'll probably go with Simon's idea of a hybrid hose set. If I do this swap at all. :)