PDA

View Full Version : TIII This particular Spirit R/T and potential HP

iTurbo
03-12-2018, 09:43 AM
I know everyone gets probably gets sick of these threads, but one of my local friends owns my old Spirit R/T. He works at NAPA and it's sort of a unicorn (because Wyoming). We built the engine at the shop where I work (an apartment complex). It's a fairly standard build with a stock long block and manifolds and deleted the balance shafts. The exhaust manifold is ported though.

When we built it, we made it as close to stock as possible aside from the fuel system. After selling it to him, he got a 50-trim/stage III T04E/T3 hybrid with a .78 A/R exhaust housing from ATP Turbo, FWDP 'budget' intercooler, FWDP stage IV SBEC, +40 injectors, etc. The car already has 3" exhaust with no cat and a dynomax muffler. The boost is controlled with a grainger valve and is set at about 24-26 psi.

Some of his friends/coworkers want to know how much HP the car makes. I really have no idea myself.....but I do know it's scary fast now. It would rip my Caliber SRT-4 a new one. What do you guys think it might be making? It's not as fast as Jackson's green R/T (that was terrifying), but it's probably the 2nd fastest car I've ever been in now. It runs really good. Next up is the big plenum intake from Pat hopefully this spring.

Force Fed Mopar
03-12-2018, 11:16 AM
I'm guessing between 350 and 400. But I have not much experience with TIII engine and how much they respond to mods.

Wastelands Warrior
03-12-2018, 01:53 PM
I never get sick of TIII threads! I'd say you are prolly around 400 hp @ 24-26 lbs of boost.

iTurbo
03-12-2018, 02:34 PM
I never get sick of TIII threads! I'd say you are prolly around 400 hp @ 24-26 lbs of boost.

Oh good; me neither! I don't build high HP cars myself.....I'm pretty happy just building stockish/interesting stuff. We followed the basic high HP recipe and he installed it all. It definitely works! I was a little worried the .78 A/R and stage III turbine setup would be too much but it moves out really well with it.

Reaper1
03-12-2018, 02:47 PM
I agree...somewhere in the 350-375hp (flywheel) range.

iTurbo
03-12-2018, 03:02 PM
Minor details/correction.....it's a .72 A/R "Cosworth" turbine housing from ATP Turbo. It's the same form factor as the stock TIII turbine housing and a bolt-in (stock-type 3" downpipe). The head is all stock except for the titanium retainers and new lifters from FWDP. It also has 3" intake that replaces the stock induction setup and methanol injection.

iTurbo
03-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Opinions are welcome! The local college has a dyno day every year lately so we're going to see what it does. I'm hoping it's closer to ~400 whp but oh well! Hopefully by then the car will have the new intake installed.

cordes
03-20-2018, 11:48 PM
Didn't Larry max out +40s with a stock long block and a 50 trim hybrid at right around 400WHP?

2.216VTurbo
03-21-2018, 12:59 AM
Be sure to get an aerosol can of "belt dressing" (can you say VHT in a can?:eyebrows:) and hit each front tire with a 15second blast accross the tread width when the rollers start turning.

iTurbo
03-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Be sure to get an aerosol can of "belt dressing" (can you say VHT in a can?:eyebrows:) and hit each front tire with a 15second blast accross the tread width when the rollers start turning.

We'll have to get some cans of that. The torque peak with 3" exhaust and the grainger valve controller is pretty insane. I do remember Larry's infamous video of the 500 HP setup on the dyno wanting to jump off the rollers.