PDA

View Full Version : Muffler placement in custom turbo exhaust

Ashyukun
10-31-2017, 10:31 AM
For my GRM Challenge turbo-1 swapped Rampage, I'm working on putting together a more 'real' exhaust for it (up until now it's either run with just the downpipe cut just before where the cat would have been or a 90-degree angle and straight pipe out under the side of the car to comply with the competition rules).

I grabbed one half of the exhaust system off of a newer V8 Ram truck from the junkyard which includes a muffler and good bit of 2.25" OD exhaust pipe. I've worked out, in general, how to use it to make the exhaust system but I'm curious about whether I can put the muffler where it looks most convenient- right after the downpipe- or whether I need to try and push it further back with a few feet of pipe between the downpipe and the muffler so that it doesn't interfere with the exhaust flow from the turbo.

Essentially, can I put the muffler where the cat was without messing with the turbo, or does it need to be further away (not going to be THAT far back though, will still be in the tunnel under the center of the truck). Thanks!

83scamp
10-31-2017, 01:09 PM
My Scamp has 2 1/2" pipe all the way back. I have a glass packed muffler in the tunnel right between the seats. So it's about 12" behind the downpipe. Works great right there. Makes nice noises when you step on it, but isn't bad just cruising.

Ashyukun
10-31-2017, 01:47 PM
That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking at doing, though the pipe I have is 2 1/4". The consensus among the GRMers when I asked there is that I really need at least 2.5" if not 3" for running it full-bore at the competition, but I'll probably go ahead with using what I have to put together a streetable exhaust and work on finding the bigger pipes to swap in for the competition.

83scamp
10-31-2017, 02:53 PM
Yeah, most guys will tell you these motors need at least 2 1/2" pipe to really let the turbo do it's thing. I know with mine, at about 2000 rpm the boost comes on like a freight train, and it gets really exciting...:banana-mario:

johnl
10-31-2017, 06:28 PM
Best to go with 3"

Columbia Mandrel Bends, a vendor on here, sells a "box of bends" in aluminized steel for cheap