PDA

View Full Version : Block interchangeability

bananacharger
10-19-2017, 02:17 AM
I've an 87 LeBaron coupe with the 2.2 TI, auto. It looks like the crank is seized in the block (I bought from a guy who parked it in storage for 12 years. He tried to start it, and that was that. I can't turn the crank with a breaker bar even after lots of soaking with PB Blaster). I have a block from a 92 TIII car that is in decent shape. This would be a common block, I believe. Does anyone know if I can simply swap the 8 valve head onto this block, or would there be issues with piston height, water passages, engine mounting, etc.? Thanks for your help!

tryingbe
10-19-2017, 10:22 AM
There is no distributor hole on the TIII block for the 8 valve HEP sensor. Unless you are willing to go aftermarket ECU, you can't use the TIII block with stock computer and distributor.

iTurbo
10-19-2017, 03:04 PM
I've an 87 LeBaron coupe with the 2.2 TI, auto. It looks like the crank is seized in the block (I bought from a guy who parked it in storage for 12 years. He tried to start it, and that was that. I can't turn the crank with a breaker bar even after lots of soaking with PB Blaster). I have a block from a 92 TIII car that is in decent shape. This would be a common block, I believe. Does anyone know if I can simply swap the 8 valve head onto this block, or would there be issues with piston height, water passages, engine mounting, etc.? Thanks for your help!

I have a good 8v common block and pre-common block if you need one. I'd be happy to trade for the TIII block. I'm in Gillette, WY so not too far of a drive...

bananacharger
10-19-2017, 03:41 PM
I have a good 8v common block and pre-common block if you need one. I'd be happy to trade for the TIII block. I'm in Gillette, WY so not too far of a drive...
Hi-- that's a distinct possibility, thanks. It may be a bit as I'm finishing work on a 92 IROC R/T

iTurbo
10-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Hi-- that's a distinct possibility, thanks. It may be a bit as I'm finishing work on a 92 IROC R/T

That's fine. I build these engines for fun in my spare time so I have a complete '87 TII on the stand as well. Feel free to PM anytime.

turbovanmanČ
12-30-2017, 11:57 PM
If you do use it, the compression would be much higher, probably around 10:1 with the TIII pistons and 8 valve head.

bananacharger
05-05-2020, 10:14 PM

Does your offer of a rebuilt T1 in exchange for my extra T3 block still stand? I finally got the LeBaron onto a lift; it is locked up with coolant and rust in #2.

iTurbo
05-06-2020, 10:42 PM
Do you need a whole good short block or just the TI block?

bananacharger
05-07-2020, 10:20 AM
Good morning - I think I'll be needing at least the short block; possibly even long block, but I think the head is reuseable. I'm hoping to pull the drivetrain this weekend, so hopefully I'll have a better idea as to condition soon

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk