PDA

View Full Version : T3/T4 rebuild Q...

super60dodge
01-08-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm thinking abought buying a Turbonetics t3/t4 50 trim that needs a rebuild before using. The shaft has no in and out play but has alot of side to side. Is there any way to tell if the turbo isnt rebuildable?

The reason I'm considering buying the turbo is because it is thermal coated, has the chrysler .63 a/r housing, large can accuator, Z bracket and 3" sv all on it. I could get the turbo and have it rebuilt for less that buying a new one and getting all the stuff to make it work.

Thanks for any help
Joe

cordes
01-08-2006, 10:25 PM
I would just check the wheels if possible. As long as they have not machined themselves on the housing you should be good to go.

super60dodge
01-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I saw it w/ the compressor cover off and it looks pretty good. The guy that owns it heard something let go, shut the car off and towed it home. There is a small scuff on the compressor housing but no gashing or anything. Would a small scuff be a problem? It isnt any thing you can really feel you can only see a color diff and one wheel blade has a very small ridge you can only feel with your finger and see it if your holding it up to your face. If this would be a big problem please lmk.

Thanks
Joe

cordes
01-09-2006, 12:08 AM
I saw it w/ the compressor cover off and it looks pretty good. The guy that owns it heard something let go, shut the car off and towed it home. There is a small scuff on the compressor housing but no gashing or anything. Would a small scuff be a problem? It isnt any thing you can really feel you can only see a color diff and one wheel blade has a very small ridge you can only feel with your finger and see it if your holding it up to your face. If this would be a big problem please lmk.

Thanks
Joe

I don't think that it would make or break you if here is just a very light scratch on the wheel or the housing. What does the turbine wheel look like? If something let go, there is a possibility that is came through the exhaust...

8valves
01-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Brian, this was the 50 trim I was using when the motor was vandalized. The shaft play came from the bearings being destroyed from the shavings of crank, bearing, and rod material. I thought i blew an IC pipe and pulled over and all of them were on, got back in the car and noticed oil presssure was lowering so I killed it and towed it home. This was the whole shot peen in my oil pan deal.

Joe is interested in buying it and I am trying to be honest in saying I don't know for sure if it's rebuildable, but my honest opinion would be that it is. I just wish I could give some sort of a guarentee on it. The exhaust side didn't get any damage, only the compressor wheel, and very lightly. I would imagine a new compressor wheel would be the rigt thing to do, but the damage is so light I would also think that it could be cleaned up just enough to be used. This would be a question for Chris though probably.

Aaron Miller

cordes
01-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Brian, this was the 50 trim I was using when the motor was vandalized. The shaft play came from the bearings being destroyed from the shavings of crank, bearing, and rod material. I thought i blew an IC pipe and pulled over and all of them were on, got back in the car and noticed oil presssure was lowering so I killed it and towed it home. This was the whole shot peen in my oil pan deal.

Joe is interested in buying it and I am trying to be honest in saying I don't know for sure if it's rebuildable, but my honest opinion would be that it is. I just wish I could give some sort of a guarentee on it. The exhaust side didn't get any damage, only the compressor wheel, and very lightly. I would imagine a new compressor wheel would be the rigt thing to do, but the damage is so light I would also think that it could be cleaned up just enough to be used. This would be a question for Chris though probably.

Aaron Miller

Agreed.

super60dodge
01-09-2006, 11:25 PM
I tried calling Chris today but got his voicemail. I need to talk to him abought a few things coming up and this 50 trim is one of them. I'll be trying again tuesday.

I dont want to rush to quickly into making a set choice on a turbo but I think a 50 trim will spool really nice with my head . I'm just a little conserned abought putting to small of a turbo on the car with my big port head.
Of course with the ports so big I can possably get the numbers I want with less boost...? I dont know I'll see what Chris can come up with.

Joe