PDA

View Full Version : Glhs proto speedo or not?

lengel
09-04-2017, 09:41 PM
So I picked up this project car and it had a 125mph speedo in it. I was told by the owner that he bought the speedo from a guy that worked at Chrysler, and they were going to put these 125mph speedos in the Glhs, but ended up going the cheaper route of the 135mph over lay. I was just wondering if there is any truth to this or not.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170905/55bd3341568a22f429ac33b952ee621f.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cordes
09-04-2017, 10:02 PM
I may be incorrect, but I thought the Canadian versions were like that. Either way, it's a neat piece for sure. I'm eager to hear what the real story is here.

tryingbe
09-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Unicorn found.

GLHS60
09-04-2017, 10:50 PM
That's the story I heard years ago too when it was for sale, assuming it's the same one.

Canadian L body speedos read to 110 MPH or 180 KPH.

Great score!!

Thanks
Randy

lengel
09-04-2017, 11:09 PM
I may be incorrect, but I thought the Canadian versions were like that. Either way, it's a neat piece for sure. I'm eager to hear what the real story is here.Maybe. Wouldn't the Canadian speedos have km/h on the outside and mph on the inside?
Unicorn found.Maybe that would be pretty cool!
That's the story I heard years ago too when it was for sale, assuming it's the same one.

Canadian L body speedos read to 110 MPH or 180 KPH.

Great score!!

Thanks
Randy

61464Where did you get picture from. It looks to be the exact same speedo. Zoom in on the 45 they both look they have the same scratch.

Dr. Johny Dodge
09-04-2017, 11:21 PM
in a conversation with 5digits he said they make 3 125 mph prototype speedo's but went with the sticker instead

cordes
09-04-2017, 11:32 PM
Well, that's a rare bird indeed. Nice score Lengel.

GLHS60
09-05-2017, 12:26 AM
Many years ago someone posted it for sale on another forum but I forget which one.

Initially it was posted as new then later it turned up wirth 1795 miles.

No doubt the same one, from memory it was claimed to be considered as a DC or MP part, not GLHS.

Also from memory it escaped in a workers lunch box.

However, if Ken claims otherwise naturally I'll accept what he says as truth.

Here's an earlier shot.

Thanks
Randy

Maybe. Wouldn't the Canadian speedos have km/h on the outside and mph on the inside?Maybe that would be pretty cool!Where did you get picture from. It looks to be the exact same speedo. Zoom in on the 45 they both look they have the same scratch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk61466

Dr. Johny Dodge
09-05-2017, 12:32 AM
I think I'd have to get a custom version of the GLHS sticker made up for that one .

it seems the natural thing to do eh

and , orange L body pointers ? I haven't seen orange before except in my car with the K car pointers swaped in but they were different at the center

lengel
09-05-2017, 08:08 PM
in a conversation with 5digits he said they make 3 125 mph prototype speedo's but went with the sticker insteadAwesome I'll have to give Ken a pm and see what he has to say about it.
Well, that's a rare bird indeed. Nice score Lengel.Yeah it is pretty cool, but really have no use for it. Seems it would be a waste to put it my Horizon GLH clone. Haha
Many years ago someone posted it for sale on another forum but I forget which one.

Initially it was posted as new then later it turned up wirth 1795 miles.

No doubt the same one, from memory it was claimed to be considered as a DC or MP part, not GLHS.

Also from memory it escaped in a workers lunch box.

However, if Ken claims otherwise naturally I'll accept what he says as truth.

Here's an earlier shot.

Thanks
Randy

61466Thanks for the info Randy!

black86glhs
09-05-2017, 08:23 PM
My question is does it actually work in a GLHS?

vntned
09-07-2017, 05:39 AM
Wanna sell it?! Because I wanna buy it!!! ;D

5DIGITS
09-12-2017, 09:56 AM
So I picked up this project car and it had a 125mph speedo in it. I was told by the owner that he bought the speedo from a guy that worked at Chrysler, and they were going to put these 125mph speedos in the Glhs, but ended up going the cheaper route of the 135mph over lay. I was just wondering if there is any truth to this or not.

This is true.
Only three were made and it's awesome the missing one has surfaced.
I say the missing 'one' because one of the three was installed in a car that was crushed after being involved in an accident.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=15866&title=26quot-3bcancelled-26quot-3b-glhs-speedo-see-description&cat=932

lengel
09-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Wow thanks for the info Ken! So one was crushed, and I have one. Do you have the third one?

Do you know what one of these have sold for in the past? I really have use for this and am willing to sell it, but I have idea as to what a far price would be for it.

GLHS60
09-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Obviously I accept Kens' word on the speedo being considered as a GLHS part.

I guess the story about it being considered a DC or MP part was incorrect.

Thanks
Randy

Dr. Johny Dodge
09-13-2017, 12:26 AM
not to try to put a price on it , but I'd think something in the range of several hun would bring out the serious buyers

one could ask much more easily but the reasonable expectation of actually selling it might take longer to come to fruition... lol or not - it is definitely more rare than even the Shelby 16V valve covers

at whatever cost it's sure to be a good ruler of the degree of OCD someone has
I know there's a few of us around with a bad case of it , how many I'm not really sure

a good idea might be looking up who own's Carroll's own car - the one with the Hans Herman head
'cause that person might not have any issue with any price considering the part , the history and what's in his garage
I wager one of them has probably crossed Shelby's desk at some time , one in his car might just be logical

eah , unless the story goes 4 speedo's
three for the shop and the exec's to play with ....and one in Carrolls desk drawer...

if HE carried them out to the shop , legend might just say there were three 'cause that might be what he sat down on the bench ...

edit add
generally , a pair of something collectible is worth more than double the price of just one

5DIGITS
09-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Wow thanks for the info Ken! So one was crushed, and I have one. Do you have the third one?

Do you know what one of these have sold for in the past? I really have use for this and am willing to sell it, but I have idea as to what a far price would be for it.

That's a tough call since there are only two in existence.
Mine has been tested and the accuracy is as good as a production unit - then it becomes a matter of how important it is for the purchaser to own a rare time piece made of 'unobtainium'.

For now, mine has a home within my Shelby Charger.

lengel
10-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Just put it up on eBay !

https://m.ebay.com/itm/GLHS-prototype-speedometer-cluster-125-mph-GLH-/232516617063

Turbo SOB
10-08-2017, 08:31 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61608&stc=1
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61609&stc=1
So, this is the one I acquired. It had 12 miles on it, and now it has 34319. If Ken says only 3 were made I'm inclined to believe him. I'm just guessing, of course, but it's not unheard of for parts to come off before a car gets crushed. The police speedometer story may be a red herring because of this. Again, I am just guessing.

The picture above was my picture, and I just took another pic to prove I still have it.

5DIGITS
10-10-2017, 12:27 PM
The bottom line is that these are RARE and never happened for production - in police or for Shelby sales.
I recently spoke with the engineer tied to this development and a minimal amount was made for evaluation and found to be too congested and costly for such limited production numbers.
There are claims of this being the production L body cluster for 1990 but this is not the case.

For those that own one, it's a RARE valuable piece of history that never came to be - even far fewer than the limited Shelby 16V Lotus Valve Covers.

GLHS60
10-10-2017, 03:53 PM
Is yours the one that reportedly came from DC/MP??

Thanks
Randy

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61608&stc=1
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61609&stc=1

So, this is the one I acquired. It had 12 miles on it, and now it has 34319. If Ken says only 3 were made I'm inclined to believe him. I'm just guessing, of course, but it's not unheard of for parts to come off before a car gets crushed. The police speedometer story may be a red herring because of this. Again, I am just guessing.

The picture above was my picture, and I just took another pic to prove I still have it.

5DIGITS
10-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Is yours the one that reportedly came from DC/MP??

Thanks
Randy
None were released to DC or anyone else.
These were proto units snagged up by those paying attention before they hit the garbage can.

GLHS60
10-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Not to be argumentative, one was advertised a few years back as coming from DC/MP.

Not as a regular part but one there for evaluation/ discussion and was reportedly liberated in a lunchbox.

Not saying that was true, just that it was claimed to be.

No disrespect intended sir.

Thanks
Randy

sdac guy
10-11-2017, 09:35 AM
What you say Randy could well be true also. However, I think that story was made up to cover up the fact that the part was rescued from the trash in the pocket of one of those Ken refers to. This might have been done just to add a little "mystique" and to try to cover their tracks a little. I doubt we will ever know the truth of the matter.

Barry

5DIGITS
10-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Not to be argumentative, one was advertised a few years back as coming from DC/MP.

Not as a regular part but one there for evaluation/ discussion and was reportedly liberated in a lunchbox.

Not saying that was true, just that it was claimed to be.

No disrespect intended sir.

Thanks
Randy

No offense taken and your comment of "Lunchbox Liberation" was very well received and said :)

GLHS60
10-11-2017, 11:42 PM
I appreciate the replies Barry and Ken!!

Thanks
Randy

2.216VTurbo
10-12-2017, 01:45 AM
Why would a Dodge Omni even need a 125 MPH speedo? They can't go that fast can they?

GLHS60
10-12-2017, 02:26 AM
Mine will hit 6,000 in 5th gear no problem with an A-555

Yours will probably hit 7,000 with ease!!

Canadian cars came with a 110 MPH speedo but a Shadow 125 unit fits without much difficulty.

Actual L body 125 unit is sure nice though!!

Thanks
Randy

tryingbe
10-12-2017, 08:08 AM
My cut-to-fit "L" body gauge goes to 255MPH, I don't think I'll be maxing it out.

http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/dodge/omniproject/dash.jpg

bigbarneycars
10-12-2017, 08:54 AM
That's me in the Scamp too? So I've been told as to how far the digits go before you run out of 'um, lol.

Turbo SOB
10-12-2017, 12:35 PM
I don't know who said "DC/MP" but it wasn't me.

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Why would a Dodge Omni even need a 125 MPH speedo? They can't go that fast can they?

lol I can tell you the back end of a charger starts to wander side to side a little like a trailer behind you at 120-125

the rubber dc whale tail fixes that .. nice and steady all the way up to 140-145
- which is about as fast as an educated estimate of my turbo'ed turismo got (305 fd)

back edge of the stock spoiler needs to be about two inches higher and about 2 inches further back
CDN speedo goes to 115 mph

GLHS60
11-02-2017, 12:09 AM
I'm curious what happened to the ad.

I believe it says something about a listing error.

Waiting for it to be relisted.

Thanks
Randy

Reaper1
11-02-2017, 01:57 PM
lol I can tell you the back end of a charger starts to wander side to side a little like a trailer behind you at 120-125

the rubber dc whale tail fixes that .. nice and steady all the way up to 140-145
- which is about as fast as an educated estimate of my turbo'ed turismo got (305 fd)

back edge of the stock spoiler needs to be about two inches higher and about 2 inches further back
CDN speedo goes to 115 mph

Maybe the 2-door cars react a bit different than the 4-door cars, but the ducktail one Reeves' car made the hatch lift up one time going down the track, so it seems to me that if anything it adds lift to the rear and actually would make instability worse...

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-02-2017, 02:29 PM
I'd think the slipstream off the back of the 4 door might leave a big hole (vacum) in the air right behind the car due to the back window angle

charger spoiler just needs extended back a couple of inches to "scrap" the underside of the slipstream (so to say) which makes downforce , not lift

adding the spoiler to the 4 door probablly deflects the slipstream making an even larger hole behind the car

(lol the 2 door hatch is kinda heavy and long too)

thought I'd saved a good link to an article on wings vs spoilers but I can't find it sorry

Reaper1
11-02-2017, 05:32 PM
I don't want to muck up this thread with aerodynamics talk, but suffice it to say that the rear angle of any TD is too steep and results in boundary layer separation with huge parasitic vorticies following the car. Depending on the speed of the car and the position of the spoiler there may or may not be any detectable stability differences.

The 4-door car's spoiler (located at the base of the rear window) most probably is catching the upward draft of the vortex in the low pressure area just behind the car. The 2-door car will still have a similar vortex, but due to the less aggressive angle of the rear glass it won't be as severe and the BL probably follows the body contour a little more. As you mentioned, extending the trailing edge will reduce the vortex and help the flow stay more stable coming off of the back of the car. Think Pro-Stock, though.

5DIGITS
11-12-2017, 04:27 PM
I'd think the slipstream off the back of the 4 door might leave a big hole (vacum) in the air right behind the car due to the back window angle

charger spoiler just needs extended back a couple of inches to "scrap" the underside of the slipstream (so to say) which makes downforce , not lift

adding the spoiler to the 4 door probablly deflects the slipstream making an even larger hole behind the car

(lol the 2 door hatch is kinda heavy and long too)

thought I'd saved a good link to an article on wings vs spoilers but I can't find it sorry

A colleague of mine fabricated a cardboard rear spoiler in 1986 for his GLH turbo Omni.
It was duct taped to the hatch and impressively gained the car 2 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Dr. Johny Dodge
11-13-2017, 04:48 AM
http://www.aitracing.com/Wangan-Styl...993-Coupe-Only (http://www.aitracing.com/Wangan-Style-Rear-Trunk-Lid-Spoiler-For-Nissan-240sx-1989-1993-Coupe-Only)
hope the link works

I just found it and I'm hoping the back edge is straight enough to be compatible with our cars "square-ish" back ends

I'm not suggesting it fits any one thing but at first look it seems I might be able to cut a section out of the front edge so I can mount it behind my charger spoiler via a couple of mounts beside the rear licence plate , a couple of pieces of tubing run through it and a LOT of pasting with the short strand fiberglass filler lol

it would be free standing behind the charger spoiler and probably about half what it looks like in the pics by the time I have the charger spoiler area cut out of it - and the lip on the bottom has to go
.. and flatter , much flatter

GLHS60
11-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Will this be relisted??

Says the ad was cancelled due to a listing error.

Thanks
Randy

Just put it up on eBay !

https://m.ebay.com/itm/GLHS-prototype-speedometer-cluster-125-mph-GLH-/232516617063

lengel
11-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Will this be relisted??

Says the ad was cancelled due to a listing error.

Thanks
RandyIt was relisted a day or two after I ended the first auction due to errors in the description. It did sell in the second auction.

GLHS60
11-14-2017, 04:48 PM
Darn I missed it!!

Appreciate the up date, what was the final selling price??

Any links to second ad?

Thanks
Randy

lengel
11-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Darn I missed it!!

Appreciate the up date, what was the final selling price??

Thanks
Randy$365

GLHS60
11-15-2017, 12:58 AM
Appreciate the update again!!

Thanks
Randy