PDA

View Full Version : Cam type identification---an idea

chromguy
07-25-2017, 07:42 AM
Just an idea, LMK your thoughts.
On TD, Tryingbe suggested a forum member to purchase an 88 TBI cam 04387850 these are NOS. So I thought sure why not, so I bought two.

Part number indicate it is a 88 TBI 2.2 camshaft.
Camshaft Chrysler 2.2/2.5L Roller Brand New | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camshaft-Chrysler-2-2-2-5L-Roller-Brand-New-/371901544724?vxp=mtr)

Get it.
It is generally accepted that there is no unique identifier on these cams to determine which is which. I have noticed that both of my NOS 04387850 have a orange paint mark between the intake and exhaust lobes on cylinder #1. I have noticed in passing others on my shelf that have a white paint mark...humm:confused2:
Could this a unique identifier we are looking for? Unlikely but I could not help but ask

lightbulb010
07-25-2017, 08:32 AM
That seems likely. There are other parts that use the paint mark system as well. I've see parts with multiple part numbers and color designations listed on the part itself. If that's the case with the cams, there must be a listing somewhere defining which colors correspond to which part number.

Dr. Johny Dodge
07-25-2017, 11:28 AM
paint dabs could be a date mark , inspection mark (who ?) could be a shift mark .. could be almost anything

and aftermarket cams can have paint markings too that will confuse the issue further

masterjr33
07-25-2017, 02:41 PM
When I rebuilt diesel fuel injectors we paint marked the injectors after we QA'd the final reports.
I was orange. 3rd shift was green. and 1st shift was white.

might wanna put a few extra in our hands to verify a system or designation.