PDA

View Full Version : Doug Demuro thoughts on the Caliber SRT4

iTurbo
05-15-2017, 02:55 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/admit-it-the-dodge-caliber-srt4-was-kind-of-cool-256771

Couldn't agree more, except I think the oversteer problem is really over rated. My Caliber SRT4 has 48k miles and was my 1st new car purchase. It has been by far the most reliable car I've ever owned. I've got a huge bin full of aftermarket performance parts, but I haven't installed them yet. I'd have to do a lot of modding to my old school cars in order to catch this thing in a straight line so I'm happy with it so far.

thedon809
05-15-2017, 03:12 PM
I almost considered a caliber srt4. Almost. I went with a Shelby lancer from Chris instead.

contraption22
05-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Doug is pretty annoying.

iTurbo
05-15-2017, 03:18 PM
I almost considered a caliber srt4. Almost. I went with a Shelby lancer from Chris instead.

Right on, I own an SL too. It has the full catalog of Poly Bushings.com parts on it and will run circles around the Caliber in the corners. Ruby on rails man.

- - - Updated - - -

contraption22

and this...and this... and here...and here.....and here....I think I know what you mean.

thedon809
05-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Right on, I own an SL too. It has the full catalog of Poly Bushings.com parts on it and will run circles around the Caliber in the corners. Ruby on rails man.

- - - Updated - - -

and this...and this... and here...and here.....and here....I think I know what you mean.I just love how h bodies look. I've got big plans for it in the way of power and handling. Already has a to4e 50trim with a tu manifold.

iTurbo
05-15-2017, 03:24 PM
I just love how h bodies look. I've got big plans for it in the way of power and handling. Already has a to4e 50trim with a tu manifold.

Agreed. I probably like the H-body more than any other turbo Mopar. It's just such a good sedan look, which I've always been a fan of. That reminds me, now that I'm done mowing the lawn and painting my house I got to get back to #127!

Wastelands Warrior
05-15-2017, 03:32 PM
I'd love to do something like Jeremy is doing with his SL. Put an exotic engine under the hood like he is doing by going with Masi power. I owned a CSRT and liked it, but I enjoy my Spirit R/T more, if just due to the fact that the R/T is easier to work on.

iTurbo
05-15-2017, 03:37 PM
I had to think a lot about wether to put a Masi 16v or TIII into my SL. In the end I just wanted something unique. I might have put a CSRT engine in, but my fab skills are very limited. But damn, an SL with a CSRT engine would be dynamite!

thedon809
05-15-2017, 03:42 PM
I had to think a lot about wether to put a Masi 16v or TIII into my SL. In the end I just wanted something unique. I might have put a CSRT engine in, but my fab skills are very limited. But damn, an SL with a CSRT engine would be dynamite!Now putting an srt4 setup in my 2.4l 4x4 5 speed Patriot would be badass.

contraption22
05-15-2017, 04:44 PM
Now putting an srt4 setup in my 2.4l 4x4 5 speed Patriot would be badass.

That's true. I didn't even know you could get a 5 speed in an AWD. That's pretty cool. I had a friend with a CVT Patriot and it was kinda sluggish.

thedon809
05-15-2017, 09:07 PM
That's true. I didn't even know you could get a 5 speed in an AWD. That's pretty cool. I had a friend with a CVT Patriot and it was kinda sluggish.The CVT is garbage. My Patriot ain't winning any races either. I think being AWD really saps a lot of your power. I drove a fwd 2.0 5 speed Patriot and I thought it felt as quick or quicker than my 2.4l. I used to be able to chirp the tires first to second shift but that stopped when I put all terrains on it.

Wastelands Warrior
05-15-2017, 09:41 PM
I had to think a lot about wether to put a Masi 16v or TIII into my SL. In the end I just wanted something unique. I might have put a CSRT engine in, but my fab skills are very limited. But damn, an SL with a CSRT engine would be dynamite!

I spoke to Aaron from the CSRT forum about an engine swap using the CSRT drivetrain and he said it would be so complicated it wouldn't be worth it.

thedon809
05-16-2017, 08:03 AM
I don't see how it would be any different than any other swap. You could either use the 6 speed or the t355.

Wastelands Warrior
05-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Wiring issues vs performance returns I guess.

iTurbo
05-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Wiring issues vs performance returns I guess.

I don't doubt it would be a lot of work, at least getting it running with the stock ECU and going from there. For me, getting a Masi 16v or a Turbo III running in my SL seems like child's play. A big issue (for me) would be getting motor mounts fabbed and then getting the big 6-speed trans to fit which would probably not fit with the stock K-frame. And then driveshafts. But hell.....people are doing this kind of thing all the time as evidenced by quite a few YoutTube channels. I myself just can't weld! Kudos to those that can.

I think even a stock CSRT turbocharger would be a great fit on a TIII or Masi 16v though. I've talked to Chris at TU about upgrades on the CSRT. Now that the warranty is up on it, I'd like to go big and it looks like AGP Turbo is the way to go. But my real priority is to make the SL the daily driver again however strange it is

I've sold my dearly beloved Omni GLH Turbo to my older brother and I can't convince him to upgrade because the damn thing runs so well as-is. I've looked into buying another GLH but I'm out here in Wyoming and the shipping price is insane, especially if it doesn't already run.

I just read in the local newspaper that a few days ago that a local guy was busted with meth in a Dodge Rampage so maybe I'll try that. I could certainly use a 'truck' to get things from Home Depot to my house.

iTurbo
05-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Well I looked all over on the street that was published in the local paper with my dog. I didn't see it anywhere. If it's the one I have seen, it's silver with a topper. Damn, a Rampage would be mighty handy lately with all the running back and forth from the dump and Home Depot!

supercrackerbox
05-20-2017, 11:46 AM
I spoke to Aaron from the CSRT forum about an engine swap using the CSRT drivetrain and he said it would be so complicated it wouldn't be worth it.

The Neon drivetrain is much easier and personally I think it's a better platform.

supercrackerbox
05-20-2017, 11:56 AM
http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/admit-it-the-dodge-caliber-srt4-was-kind-of-cool-256771

Couldn't agree more, except I think the oversteer problem is really over rated. . .

I second this. The torque steer isn't as bad as he claims, but all his other complaints are pretty accurate.

Wastelands Warrior
05-20-2017, 07:51 PM
The Neon drivetrain is much easier and personally I think it's a better platform.

I agree. I'm debating about sticking with a TIII or going 2.4 in my R/T

Nemesismachine
07-31-2017, 08:36 AM
All you had to do was mention Doug to completely remove any credibility in whatever article you're referencing. That dude is a penis.

iTurbo
07-31-2017, 09:51 AM
All you had to do was mention Doug to completely remove any credibility in whatever article you're referencing. That dude is a penis.

I hear ya. There is basically no reviews or talk of the CSRT on YouTube though, at least from the bigger name YT guys. Doug Demuro mostly talks about cars nobody can afford like Ferraris and AMGs. Yawn.

I've put nearly 3000 miles on my CSRT this month and it has been awesome. Finally passed the 50k mark and it still stomps!

Dr. Johny Dodge
07-31-2017, 11:55 AM
I never really gave any thought to TM's after the daytona died
neons ect eah , whatever

then a couple of weeks back I pulled up along side a nice copper coloured caliber

DEFINATELY not a stocker

so .. I "raced" it

not to shabby .. I jumped him as he had no clue "it was on" lol

& my modded 01 f150 isn't the 260 hp slouch it started out as , now

so I had a pretty good measureing stick on him as he passed my as he put it into third
and then that caliber just ###### right off

and it was down a nice steep hill to boot so we both got moving really fast really quick

cool car , nice , but I still don't want one

jonnymopar
07-31-2017, 12:30 PM

I did a lot of research on the World Engine platform because I wanted to stuff the n/a 2.4 into my Neon. They're crazy cheap and you'd gain VVT. But there is just nothing in common between those and anything that came before it. The CSRT-4 engine is no exception.

The earlier 2.4L engine... I won't go off-topic with a huge list of reasons why I like it better than the World 2.4 turbo. I've got my Daytona in the parking lot with 57k hard miles on "an old Stratus engine", working wonderfully with a 555.

iTurbo
07-31-2017, 12:48 PM
I did a lot of research on the World Engine platform because I wanted to stuff the n/a 2.4 into my Neon. They're crazy cheap and you'd gain VVT. But there is just nothing in common between those and anything that came before it. The CSRT-4 engine is no exception.

The earlier 2.4L engine... I won't go off-topic with a huge list of reasons why I like it better than the World 2.4 turbo. I've got my Daytona in the parking lot with 57k hard miles on "an old Stratus engine", working wonderfully with a 555.

I have virtually no experience with the earlier 2.4L Turbo (Neon SRT engine). But damn I am impressed with the later 'World' 2.4L Turbo in the Caliber. I often wish I could transplant it into my SL, but the wiring and electronics would be a nightmare. The cylinder head is similar to the Masi 16v (cam-over-buckets) so I did that instead. It won't compete with my Caliber SRT as long as I have that tiny IHI turbo on it though. The Caliber came with a big Mitsu 20g and it hauls --- at 16 psi compared to my 'old' cars!

thedon809
07-31-2017, 04:43 PM
The 2.0/2.4l n/a world engine is, in my opinion, the most durable and reliable engine Chrysler has made since the slant 6 and 4.0l. When I worked at the dealer, it was relatively common to see them with 300-500k miles. In my 6 years there, I never saw an internal failure (not counting people driving through a lake and sucking up water).

contraption22
07-31-2017, 04:58 PM
The CVT is garbage. My Patriot ain't winning any races either. I think being AWD really saps a lot of your power. I drove a fwd 2.0 5 speed Patriot and I thought it felt as quick or quicker than my 2.4l. I used to be able to chirp the tires first to second shift but that stopped when I put all terrains on it.

I recently rented a Jeep Compass on a work trip, and it seems as though the CVT has been reprogrammed to simulate a traditional automatic trans under most circumstances. It was a much better driving experience than I was used to with the CVT.

thedon809
07-31-2017, 06:18 PM
I recently rented a Jeep Compass on a work trip, and it seems as though the CVT has been reprogrammed to simulate a traditional automatic trans under most circumstances. It was a much better driving experience than I was used to with the CVT.Depending on if it's a 2.0 or 2.4 that compass could have had a Hyundai 6 speed auto. AFAIK the 2.0 fwd is CVT and so is the the trail rated 4x4 version with freedom ride 2.

contraption22
07-31-2017, 11:07 PM
Depending on if it's a 2.0 or 2.4 that compass could have had a Hyundai 6 speed auto. AFAIK the 2.0 fwd is CVT and so is the the trail rated 4x4 version with freedom ride 2.

I do not know what engine it had but it was definitely 4/AWD. It seemed to react to like the old CVT when on heavy throttle.

thedon809
08-01-2017, 07:39 AM
I do not know what engine it had but it was definitely 4/AWD. It seemed to react to like the old CVT when on heavy throttle.Could be either if it's 4wd. If it had trail rated badges it would be CVT. The trail rated version has a higher final drive ratio in the CVT for better crawling.

jonnymopar
08-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Depending on if it's a 2.0 or 2.4 that compass could have had a Hyundai 6 speed auto. AFAIK the 2.0 fwd is CVT and so is the the trail rated 4x4 version with freedom ride 2.

If this Hyundai 6-speed is the same one that I've had in a few rental cars (Forte, Rio, Accent, etc), then it is excellent. The thing actually downshifts on decel, doesn't try to shove itself into overdrive by the time you're at 20mph, and gear-hunting is extremely rare.

thedon809
08-01-2017, 02:32 PM
If this Hyundai 6-speed is the same one that I've had in a few rental cars (Forte, Rio, Accent, etc), then it is excellent. The thing actually downshifts on decel, doesn't try to shove itself into overdrive by the time you're at 20mph, and gear-hunting is extremely rare.Could be. AFAIK the dart, Patriot, compass and maybe the new gen compass uses it. Seemed decent.

iTurbo
08-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Pretty much. I lose my own credibility with him with every video. His latest was a video about how the Ferrari F40 really is worth 1.5 Million Dollars. I wouldn't be caught dead driving that. I guess a Testarrossa would be a little worse. Gads.

YouTube car guy channels are frustrating because they are so misleading especially with their thumbnails. It is pure clickbait. There are a few exceptions like Cleetus though.

iTurbo
08-02-2017, 09:00 PM
I'll have to get a picture of the huge pile of parts I have for the Caliber. I just discovered my front struts are finally shot after 50k miles so it looks like some BC Coilovers are in order.

supercrackerbox
08-03-2017, 06:06 PM
I'll have to get a picture of the huge pile of parts I have for the Caliber. I just discovered my front struts are finally shot after 50k miles so it looks like some BC Coilovers are in order.

That's right about the mileage where mine were replaced. The right front was leaking so badly it was leaving puddles on my shop floor. For better or worse though, I replaced them with factory Mopar units.

thedon809
08-03-2017, 06:44 PM
I believe they are made by sachs.

iTurbo
08-06-2017, 12:32 AM
That's right about the mileage where mine were replaced. The right front was leaking so badly it was leaving puddles on my shop floor. For better or worse though, I replaced them with factory Mopar units.

I always inspect everything under the car every 5000 miles when I change the oil/filter and rotate the tires. It must have gotten really bad recently, but I have also put over 2000 miles on it driving back and forth from WY to MN a couple times in July.

The passenger side is really bad. The strut body is coated with grimy oil and road debris. The driver side looks like it just started leaking. The rears still look fine.

I really want to lower it though, because CSRTs just look so much better planted IMHO. Maybe even get some Enkei NT03+M wheels.

supercrackerbox
08-06-2017, 12:12 PM
I briefly considered dropping mine but I'm already on my third splash panel behind the nose.

iTurbo
08-10-2017, 09:51 PM
I briefly considered dropping mine but I'm already on my third splash panel behind the nose.

Have you been using the stock splash shield as a replacement? I found mine broken and and missing huge chunks and I could swear it was never hit by anything very early on in my ownership of the car. I think it was broken on a test drive even though it only had less than 100 miles on it when I picked it up in '09 ('08 model year).

I got an aluminum splash shield replacement from Gizmos Retrofits (later Inline Carbon), but I think they are out of business now. It's fits great and is holding up great.

supercrackerbox
08-10-2017, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I looked for the aluminum one, but no luck. The factory one is surprisingly inexpensive, and I've been very careful with this one. 14 months and counting. :lol:

iTurbo
08-11-2017, 03:44 PM
What kind of brakes do you have on your car Adam? Any problems?

Almost since day one the brakes on my CSRT are the worst part of my car. Sure they are 4 wheel disc and very large, but they make a ton dust and pulsate despite having them resurfaced twice. I only just passed 50k miles but it is so bad the car shudders slowing down on an off-ramp and I usually decel in gear to mitigate it more than usual. Even after resurfacing, it just comes back.

I have a new set of rotors and Hawk HPS pads so I'm hoping that will fix it. The stock brakes are terrible IMO!

thedon809
08-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Resurfacing them won't do you any good. You are making the rotor even thinner so it will warp even easier. Breaking them in is key. I haven't had any issues with my Jeep Patriots 4 wheel disc brakes which are similar but much smaller than srt. Have 27k on it and I tow semi regularly.

Wastelands Warrior
08-11-2017, 04:50 PM
I put Cquence rotors and EBC pads on my CSRT4 when I had it and they worked great.

supercrackerbox
08-11-2017, 06:05 PM
Breaking them in is key.

Most important thing right here regardless of what brand pads you use. But to answer your question, right before SDAC I installed the Power Stop pad and rotor kit. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5812830&cc=1443613&jsn=452 We drove to Detroit, I beat the crap out of the car on the road course and the drag strip, and now have about 4000 miles on them. They never faded, made noise, or produced hardly any dust, and are absolutely firm and predictable. And amazingly, the rotors have yet to show any signs of rusting, which is more than I can say about any other "coated" rotors I've tried.

When I first bought the car, one of the previous owners had installed EBC Yellow Stuff pads on the front and clearly gave no regard to bedding them. I was washing my wheels 2-3 times a week, but the wheels were so horribly stained that there was no way to make them look good. That's why they're now powdercoated, which I had done right before SDAC 26. Within a few months of owning it, I changed the front pads and rotors (they were completely shot) with some slotted ones and Centric severe duty ceramic pads. After bedding, I moved to only having to clean the wheels every few weeks.

This is the best picture I can find at the moment:
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19248061_10211144046530775_1931185281488854205_n.j pg?oh=bf37726b54d23e962477527c7a35b10d&oe=5A23A4BA