PDA

View Full Version : Electronics: Looking for a Socketed SBEC for 1989 Lebaron

Moparman141
05-14-2017, 11:50 PM
Hello all. Been a while since I was here but my project is finally staring back up. Ok I need a socketed computer for my lebaron. Just for clarity my car is an 89 automatic (now a manual) gonna start getting used to using the mp tuner and have a member tune for me. I can certainly do most of it but truthly I like having others with experience make things easier for me. So shoot me with what you have. Even willing to try a unit that has already been tuned. Thanks for looking and let me know what you have!

83scamp
05-15-2017, 07:54 AM
Need to clarify a little bit. Unless somebody re-wired your car, an 89 will be SMEC, not SBEC. 1 letter, but major difference in ECU. :)

Moparman141
05-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Yes sir you are correct my mistake had a brain squeez I guess!! I do need an SMEC computer.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh SHOOT! Your are absolutely correct and I knew that 😂 Yes it's is SMEC!! So for all who are looking at this I need an SMEC that is socketed or might consider paying for mine to be done. I just don't wanna send it out and it take weeks to get back. I certainly can appreciate that it isn't an easy thing. I just wann finally get this thing rolling. One other thing if anyone can answer this. I'm willing to buy a FWD unit and then get a chip replacement or it flashes if those units have that ability. It sure as I haven't GM found a clear answer yet. Thanks again!!

- - - Updated - - -

Dang it, sorry my phone glitched and posted two responses. I thought the longer one didn't make it so I went with a short answer!! Thanks again all for looking

1BADVAN
05-17-2017, 05:27 PM
You looking at doing your own chip? As of now the only vendor is FWD but the if you are decent with a soldering iron, you can do it yourself. But you will need chips and a chip burner, or a flashable chip unit.

morgan45
05-20-2017, 07:38 AM
FWD Performance's SMECs are all socketed.

Moparman141
05-24-2017, 08:49 AM
Ok, looks like I'll get an FWD unit already ready then see about getting a chip and burning a tune. I'm sure if taken the time I could soider my own but I'd like it to just be done right and ready. Then I can have a member here set me up with a custom tune should I need it and make this thing run nice. Thanks to all.