PDA

View Full Version : TIII So what's new in the TIII world?

Wastelands Warrior
05-13-2017, 07:13 PM
What are all the TIII guys out there up to? I'm just trying to keep my 91 R/T together as a daily driver. Latest problem is having wipers that won't park.

iTurbo
05-13-2017, 07:25 PM
Not a whole lot. I have two 'customers' out there locally with TIII engines I've built for them (one Spirit R/T, one '87 CSX).

The Spirit R/T is running great. Mad power with the 50 trim/stg III turbo and the Cosworth turbine housing from ATP. Last I heard he was running mid 20 psi boost pressure and it is way way faster than my Caliber SRT. We built the engine together in my shop but we've never had it on a dyno. I would guess a little over 400 HP.

The CSX on the other hand....well.....I built the engine in my shop using all my *best* parts. The guy offered me $3000 for me to build him a badass drivetrain.........which I did. A 2.2L with forged Venolia pistons, remanufactured stock rods with ARPs, block built/machined with ARP main studs, ported head from Jackson, ARP head studs, ported manifolds, A568/A523 from Cliff Ramsdell, TU yellow plate/4 puck clutch, Push-Pull shifter cables....yada yada....He gave me $1500 cash to start it and I finished building it for him but he has yet to give me the $2000 that I'm still owed. Honestly I feel kinda ripped off. He has installed it into the CSX but hasn't got it running yet. Doesn't respond to my texts or phone calls either. I guess that I won't be building anything for anyone ever again.

Asa (acannel) was looking into making a BMF intake for the TIII, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I very much appreciate he and Lengel making things for these motors though.

Pat
05-14-2017, 06:14 AM
After getting a pump gas tune up to 20 psi done last year that I am very happy with, I am starting to build a race gas cal to run through Drag Week this fall. Street testing, the car feels much faster than it was at the same boost in pump. Plan to have the car at SDAC and will use the track time there to continue to work on the tune further.

Wastelands Warrior
05-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Not a whole lot. I have two 'customers' out there locally with TIII engines I've built for them (one Spirit R/T, one '87 CSX).

The Spirit R/T is running great. Mad power with the 50 trim/stg III turbo and the Cosworth turbine housing from ATP. Last I heard he was running mid 20 psi boost pressure and it is way way faster than my Caliber SRT. We built the engine together in my shop but we've never had it on a dyno. I would guess a little over 400 HP.

The CSX on the other hand....well.....I built the engine in my shop using all my *best* parts. The guy offered me $3000 for me to build him a badass drivetrain.........which I did. A 2.2L with forged Venolia pistons, remanufactured stock rods with ARPs, block built/machined with ARP main studs, ported head from Jackson, ARP head studs, ported manifolds, A568/A523 from Cliff Ramsdell, TU yellow plate/4 puck clutch, Push-Pull shifter cables....yada yada....He gave me $1500 cash to start it and I finished building it for him but he has yet to give me the $2000 that I'm still owed. Honestly I feel kinda ripped off. He has installed it into the CSX but hasn't got it running yet. Doesn't respond to my texts or phone calls either. I guess that I won't be building anything for anyone ever again.

Asa (acannel) was looking into making a BMF intake for the TIII, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I very much appreciate he and Lengel making things for these motors though.

That's a shame that the guy is dissing you. I know you build things right.

iTurbo
05-15-2017, 03:29 PM
That's a shame that the guy is dissing you. I know you build things right.

He's a long time friend and the economy pretty much tanked here a year ago (coal mining country) so we're all suffering a bit. It's frustrating but I'm sure it will all come together in the end.

Wastelands Warrior
05-16-2017, 01:45 PM
He's a long time friend and the economy pretty much tanked here a year ago (coal mining country) so we're all suffering a bit. It's frustrating but I'm sure it will all come together in the end.

Least the guy could do is communicate with you about it.

Lotashelbys
05-16-2017, 03:19 PM
I have about 3 TIII customer projects in the works. One of them is a 90 VNT car conversion.

I'm working on some 72pph setups for my TIII CSX and resurrecting my green R/T for a possible SDAC appearance. Needs to be brought up from 08 spec to 2017 spec. Billet wheels in the Holsets and bigger injectors and such. 4" exhaust is a prerequisite now for all my cars so that's going on as well.

Dan15
05-23-2017, 07:56 PM
I have about 3 TIII customer projects in the works. One of them is a 90 VNT car conversion.

I'm working on some 72pph setups for my TIII CSX and resurrecting my green R/T for a possible SDAC appearance. Needs to be brought up from 08 spec to 2017 spec. Billet wheels in the Holsets and bigger injectors and such. 4" exhaust is a prerequisite now for all my cars so that's going on as well.

So is a 4" exhaust really a huge improvement over the 3" exhaust?

With the billet wheels what exactly do you recommend and where do you get those from? What performance gains do those offer?

In the process of debating whether I should Holset my RT or wait until later. I already have most the parts but I know my transmission won't handle it so I'm afraid to upgrade it until I've got the transmission built.

iTurbo
05-28-2017, 01:13 AM
I talked to my local friend today. He's got some family issues getting in the way of everything so.... But I did get a pic of Shelby CSX #667 while I was there. Not too far off from running actually.

Force Fed Mopar
05-28-2017, 09:28 AM
All this TIII is getting me motivated to finish mine...keep posting! lol

Wastelands Warrior
05-28-2017, 11:27 AM
I just had to put a wiper motor in my R/T, since the arms didn't want to park. While I had every thing apart I glass beaded and painted the wiper arms and painted the cowl panel. And I fastened the cowl down with stainless button head bolts since the plastic fasteners are fubar.

- - - Updated - - -

All this TIII is getting me motivated to finish mine...keep posting! lol

We need you to come up with a 2.5 TIII cal! :)

Force Fed Mopar
05-28-2017, 02:24 PM
Trying to get another RT finished up for a guy in Columbia, took the pump out yesterday to empty the old fuel out, now the pump doesn't work lol. Stupid cars...

iTurbo
05-28-2017, 04:54 PM
We need you to come up with a 2.5 TIII cal! :)

I would be particularly interested in a '91 2.5L TIII cal. When the SL is finished, I'm going to start on my Spirit R/T which I've already built the motor for. It's a 2.5L TIII with forged venolia pistons and a S70 frankenturbo. I'd love to have something that could run 18 psi boost safely with regular 'ol 91 octane pump gas.

Plus I have all the parts to build another 2.5L TIII, even though I'm running out of cars to put them in.

Wastelands Warrior
05-28-2017, 05:45 PM
I would be particularly interested in a '91 2.5L TIII cal. When the SL is finished, I'm going to start on my Spirit R/T which I've already built the motor for. It's a 2.5L TIII with forged venolia pistons and a S70 frankenturbo. I'd love to have something that could run 18 psi boost safely with regular 'ol 91 octane pump gas.

Plus I have all the parts to build another 2.5L TIII, even though I'm running out of cars to put them in.

I have a 91 R/T that I'd gladly let you put a 2.5 TIII into. :)

CaptMoe
07-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Glad to see the TIII crowd still kicking. I haven't driven my '93 IROC in almost 2 years. Got divorced and it is still sitting in the garage of my old house.
I have been trying to get a hold of Brian Slowe to get the car down to him and have him go over it and perform the usual maintenance. If I don't hear from him soon I may have to look for a Plan B. Would love to get it road worthy for a return to Carlisle in 2018.

spirit1991
07-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Glad to see the TIII crowd still kicking. I haven't driven my '93 IROC in almost 2 years. Got divorced and it is still sitting in the garage of my old house.
I have been trying to get a hold of Brian Slowe to get the car down to him and have him go over it and perform the usual maintenance. If I don't hear from him soon I may have to look for a Plan B. Would love to get it road worthy for a return to Carlisle in 2018.
I'm in Pa as well, not too far from Philly. If for whatever reason Brian cannot accommodate you I may be able to help you out. I believe I met you briefly at Carlisle 2011. You have a black IROC R/T iirc. Feel free to message me
-Nick

Wastelands Warrior
07-19-2017, 11:49 AM
I'm in Pa as well, not too far from Philly. If for whatever reason Brian cannot accommodate you I may be able to help you out. I believe I met you briefly at Carlisle 2011. You have a black IROC R/T iirc. Feel free to message me
-Nick

We should have a resurrection party.

CaptMoe
07-19-2017, 05:13 PM
-Nick
Thanks for the offer, Nick.
I'll let you know.

turbovanmanČ
12-30-2017, 05:16 PM
For me, nada, just a rusting van that runs on 3 cylinders, but hopefully, that will change next year, :clap:

Force Fed Mopar
01-02-2018, 09:48 AM
For me, nada, just a rusting van that runs on 3 cylinders, but hopefully, that will change next year, :clap:

Next year is here, chop chop! lol

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Next year is here, chop chop! lol

LOL, :clap:

johnl
01-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Just drivin the Spirit R/T

supercrackerbox
01-05-2018, 03:37 PM
I've got an TIII engine sitting on a tire in my shop with a wasted exhaust cam and scattered valvetrain. Hoping to someday find a shop that can polish the cam journals and make the head useable again.

iTurbo
01-05-2018, 08:07 PM
I've got an TIII engine sitting on a tire in my shop with a wasted exhaust cam and scattered valvetrain. Hoping to someday find a shop that can polish the cam journals and make the head useable again.

I have a TIII head with scored/scratched cam journals too. So far I haven't been able to find a machine shop that can fix it. It seems like it would need a mini line hone to make it right. Maybe TPiS in Chaska, MN?

4 l-bodies
01-06-2018, 01:24 AM
Guys I know a long way from you both but I know of two shops in MN that have line honing for OHV cylinder heads available. One in MPLS, one in central to northern MN (Menegha, MN). Think last one I had done was like $170 or so. More if head is warped obviously.
Todd

supercrackerbox
01-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Then the next question would be if there's cams available with oversized journals?

DoubleD
03-18-2018, 03:02 AM
Time to get my IROC R/T back on the road and see how far 120 lb/hr injectors on E85 can go with a holset and a built bottom end, planning to upgrade the 255 pump to a 450 and up-size the main fuel line to 3/8". Still on stockish head, cams, and intake.

Force Fed Mopar
03-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Nice, interested to see what it does.

DoubleD
03-18-2018, 05:22 PM
When the car was on the road over a year ago, it was running strong at 36 PSI on E85, I'm pretty sure the 255 fuel pump that is in there now wont handle the much more abuse. Curious how far I can still push my setup, need to iron out a few more things with the ecu and tuning though.