PDA

View Full Version : Charging Problem

Spoolin'Canuck
01-08-2006, 05:37 PM
First off, Canadian Tire sucks.

Second.. I have my 86 Daytona converted to 89 SMEC.. It is giving me a bit of trouble..

I changed alternators a few weeks back because the one on my car was slowly draining my battery. Worked like a charm for a couple of weeks, but this "known good" alt. is doing the same thing. Here is the deal...

While the car was running, I checked the smaller terminals for voltage, and with no acc. on, I was getting 2.9V. With head lights, blower motor, and wipers on, I was only getting 4.2V.

The battery is stuck at 12.8V when the car is on or off. When I crank it, voltage falls to 7.5.

The battery is less than 2 years old, and a load test says it is good.

I have a feeling I know what the problem is, but I am not 100% sure.. Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2006, 06:02 PM
First off, you need to charge that battery, if it drops to 7.5volts cranking, it would fail a load test.

Second, go here-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5615&postcount=7

The big wires to the alt must have battery voltage, the 2 smaller wires go to the SMEC, one is ground, one should have 12 volts, can't remember which one.

Spoolin'Canuck
01-08-2006, 06:08 PM
The battery has been drained since I did a load test, and it is on a charger as we speak.

Thanks for the help