PDA

View Full Version : TIII Manual boost controller not working

Wastelands Warrior
02-27-2017, 04:57 PM
Hey all,

I installed a manual boost controller and hooked it up in the following manner: I tee'd off the line going to the brake booster check valve and ran a line to the boost controller. Then I ran a line from the other side of the boost controller to the waste gate actuator can. I then plugged up the factory line. The car runs fine but the boost controller won't build any additional boost no matter how far I turn the knob. The boost controller is hooked up correctly and is a quality Turbo Smart piece, so doubtful the unit is bad. And the car is running the stock turbo and stock cal. Any ideas?

going4speed
02-27-2017, 05:09 PM
try hooking up to the manifold vacuum and not the brake booster

ajakeski
02-27-2017, 05:14 PM
http://www.gusmahon.org/html/boostcontrol.htm

contraption22
02-27-2017, 05:15 PM
T3's have adjustable wastegate actuators, don't they? If so, tighten it up a little bit.

iTurbo
02-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Yeah, the arm is adjustable on the stock TIII turbo.

I would check the tension of the actuator rod. It should be pretty difficult to get it to open even a little by hand. If the spring inside the can broke, I can see having limited boost. Also make sure the rod tension really slams the puck shut. If the alignment of the arm is off in relation to the stud it slips over, it can hang up a little bit and not close all the way, which would primarily just cause lack of response.

Wastelands Warrior
02-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Welp, either I'm Captain Dumbass or something is amiss. I have the boost controller set up with manifold vacuum, and still no change with the boost controller. Car runs great otherwise, just can't up the boost at all...

DoubleD
02-28-2017, 03:37 PM
When I ran manual boost control on my RT, I ran the line from the turbo outlet nipple to the controller and then back to the wastegate can. I was not running a bleed style, mine was ball and spring design.

Wastelands Warrior
02-28-2017, 03:46 PM
When I ran manual boost control on my RT, I ran the line from the turbo outlet nipple to the controller and then back to the wastegate can. I was not running a bleed style, mine was ball and spring design.

Mine is a ball and spring type too. I have a stock turbo, and I don't see any place on it to run the vacuum line to.

DoubleD
02-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Are you still using the stock vacuum setup? I pulled all that and simplified it with a vacuum distribution block, the boost control system is completely standalone from the rest of system. Been running this problem free for many years now with solid boost control.

Wastelands Warrior
02-28-2017, 04:09 PM
Are you still using the stock vacuum setup? I pulled all that and simplified it with a vacuum distribution block, the boost control system is completely standalone from the rest of system. Been running this problem free for many years now with solid boost control.

Everything is stock, boss. Didn't want to start ripping stuff out yet as this is my daily and just wanted to add a simple mod like a boost controller to make the car more fun.

Pat
02-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Try to move the wastegate arm by hand. I've seen t3 turbos WG's get stuck.

going4speed
02-28-2017, 09:32 PM
Stupid question but you do have the boost controller going the right way?

Wastelands Warrior
02-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Stupid question but you do have the boost controller going the right way?

No such thing as a stupid question when it comes to me. Lol. Yes, it's installed correctly. The controller is even marked with "to wastegate" on one of it's ports.

Force Fed Mopar
03-01-2017, 07:48 AM
Could be a bad actuator, I've come across one before that wouldn't control boost even plumbed directly to the intake.

tryingbe
03-01-2017, 08:43 AM
0 psi boost or 5 psi of boost?

Picture of your setup?

iTurbo
03-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Mine is a ball and spring type too. I have a stock turbo, and I don't see any place on it to run the vacuum line to.

I use a ball/spring type on my cars too. I've found that if the tiny vent hole gets clogged it won't let the boost rise. Does yours have a vent hole at all?

Wastelands Warrior
03-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the info, guys. Jackson guided me through an install so I know it's ok. I can only think now that my actuator might be fubar. The car runs fine otherwise so guess I might have to just look into an actuator.

Wastelands Warrior
03-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Ok, latest developments...I was told to test the actuator by disconnecting the line to it, which should cause the car to go into over boost. Didn't happen. No change in the way the car runs. I moved the wastegate arm and actuator arm with a bar, and they seemed to move freely. And as I stated, car runs really good. I'm stumped...

going4speed
03-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Does the turbo turn if you reach in..with the engine off...and try turn it?

Is the wastegate stuck open maybe?

86Shelby
03-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Sounds like the actuator isn't working properly, perhaps the spring inside is broken. Sure, it still pulls everything closed, but doesn't apply enough force to the wastegate puck to keep it closed.

Wastelands Warrior
03-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Does the turbo turn if you reach in..with the engine off...and try turn it?

Is the wastegate stuck open maybe?

I'll have to check the turbo when it's not 5 below 0 out. I'm assuming the waste gate isn't stuck because I was able to move it and the actuator arm with a bar.

wheming
03-04-2017, 02:03 AM
Test the actuator with a mityvac hand pump, not by disconnecting line and forcing overboost.
With car off pump up the actuator and watch the arm move. Check what pressure it takes to move. If it pushes right open at 1-2psi, then you have a broken spring. They do break.
If your diaphragm was broken pressure wouldn't move the arm, or it would take much more to move and obviously it wont hold pressure. But that would cause higher than normal boost, just like a bleed.

Others say your arm is adjustable. If so tension so it takes about 10psi or so to get the actuator arm to move when pumping up with the hand pump.

iTurbo
03-04-2017, 02:42 PM
I've found that on my Spirit R/T's (stock turbo), if you route the waste gate line directly to manifold source (no controller), I usually see about 6-7 psi at WOT minimum. It might go a little higher at lower elevations than where I'm at though.

In addition to testing with a Mityvac, an easy check would be to hook up the waste gate can directly to the intake manifold and see what your minimum WOT boost is.