PDA

View Full Version : Sdac 27?

iTurbo
02-24-2017, 02:44 AM
I hate to be a pain, but it's that time of year where I need to make plans. Most of the time, SDAC is announced and it's just too late for me to arrange on short notice. (am I the only one?) I also live in Wyoming so it's usually a big deal for me to attend.

Work has been slow here lately thanks to the economy and coal/oil industry tanking. I might have all of June off and my boss is taking July off. But, I would have a cool car to bring (not the CSRT).

moparman76_69
02-24-2017, 09:51 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?81070-Sdac-27!!

I'm pretty sure the idea is the dates will be the traditional weekend after father's day unless something changes, which I don't see happening this late.

ajakeski
02-24-2017, 01:57 PM
The dates are confirmed, but the venue is not.
June 24-27

https://www.facebook.com/groups/shelbydodge/permalink/1322240627845501/

supercrackerbox
02-24-2017, 07:59 PM
But, I would have a cool car to bring (not the CSRT).

So once again I'll probably be the only one with a CSRT. :lol:

wheming
02-24-2017, 09:03 PM

You might be the only one there at all if we only find out where it is the week before!

;)

iTurbo
02-25-2017, 04:13 AM

There were actually a couple CSRTs at the Wisconsin SDAC, both orange including mine. But yeah, I have something else brewing that I think people will like/find more interesting.

But I gotta say the CSRT has been dead nuts reliable and a great road tripper.

supercrackerbox
02-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Mine was great for the trip last year. But right now I'm hearing this rattle that to me sounds like it could be the timing chain, although I'm not sure what that would actually sound like, and the engine itself only has about 50k on it. The timing set looks like more than I have the skill or time for, so I'm checking a few places to see what they'd charge for the job.

Really stupid that they couldn't just put a belt on it . . .

ajakeski
02-28-2017, 04:18 PM
The location was announced today to the people on the SDAC Email List. News letters are next.

superbleu
02-28-2017, 06:42 PM
:banana-mario:

The location was announced today to the people on the SDAC Email List. News letters are next.

djm3452004
02-28-2017, 08:45 PM

Not to sound silly, but why is the location such a hugesecret? Wouldn’t the national club want as manyattendees as possible?

Thanks!
Dave

83scamp
02-28-2017, 08:49 PM
Not to sound silly, but why is the location such a hugesecret? Wouldn’t the national club want as manyattendees as possible?

Thanks!
Dave

Membership has it's privileges. It's only $30 a year to be a paid SDAC member and support the group. SDAC lets SDAC members know first. Seems reasonable to me.

Just like being a paid member of this forum. The help and knowledge I have gained from this site is worth 1000X the yearly fee. Well worth it in my opinion...

It will be made public in a couple of weeks.

sdac guy
02-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Not to sound silly, but why is the location such a huge secret? Wouldn’t the national club want as many attendees as possible?

It is not meant to be a secret, it is just that our members get the word first, as a courtesy to them.

The event is actually the "annual convention" for SDAC members. While the club enjoys a presence here on TM, the vast majority of TM members, visitors, and guests, are not SDAC members (unfortunately).

The club policy to let members get the news first dates back to before TM or any other forum existed. We always notified the members via newsletter, then we took out ads in the major Mopar magazines to announce it to the public.

So while we can today benefit from the "instant" public announcement via the internet, our members are the primary focus of our business. And BTW, the vast majority of the folks that actually attend our annual event are SDAC members, but everyone is invited to attend and is welcome at our event.

Barry

cordes
02-28-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm already making plans based on the location. This is going to be a great year. The best one ever? Yes, it will be.

rdnoel86
02-28-2017, 10:46 PM
Membership has it's privileges. It's only $30 a year to be a paid SDAC member and support the group. SDAC lets SDAC members know first. Seems reasonable to me.

Just like being a paid member of this forum. The help and knowledge I have gained from this site is worth 1000X the yearly fee. Well worth it in my opinion...

It will be made public in a couple of weeks.

Whatever... I joined years ago, got 1 newsletter and that was it. Not even a renewal notice. Sorry, but I'm not working that hard to join a club or give my money away. I donate here to offset the cost of keeping this site up as I use it quite often...probably should check to see if its renewal time, I always forget...

jrbexhaust
02-28-2017, 11:33 PM
I'm going to chime in here because I feel like it. I've gone to a few SDAC national events. I've always had fun. I'd like to have that fun every year. But I can't. Why? Because I can't plan on it being in the same location each year. Even the dates, although normally the same, change once in a while. Its often said that those putting the event on need as many attendees possible to help offset the cost of holding the event. Why not make it easy for anyone and everyone to count on attending this event? It will pay off.

I've heard some folks say they like new locations so they don't get bored of the same scenery year after year. That sounds good, but how often do folks not attend because its in a new location that they can't travel to and from in the time suitable to them on short notice?

I like change, but even more, I like being able to depend on certain things. Annual events are some of them. I play competitive volleyball tournaments throughout the year (indoors and out). I can tell you which tournaments I'm playing, where they are, and when they are year after year. I go to cars shows like Mopars in the Park, Back to the 50s, Car Craft, Cars n Coffee, etc year after year. I know when they are every year. I can actually plan my year(s) around those events.

To top it off, guess what all of those events have in common??? They get bigger and better every year! Bigger means more money. Eventually, it can mean a larger venue. But nonetheless, they get bigger.

My rant is over. I've explained my opinion to some key members before this. I don't think it will change the SDAC way, but maybe eventually it will.

contraption22
02-28-2017, 11:52 PM
I'm going to chime in here because I feel like it. I've gone to a few SDAC national events. I've always had fun. I'd like to have that fun every year. But I can't. Why? Because I can't plan on it being in the same location each year. Even the dates, although normally the same, change once in a while. Its often said that those putting the event on need as many attendees possible to help offset the cost of holding the event. Why not make it easy for anyone and everyone to count on attending this event? It will pay off.

I've heard some folks say they like new locations so they don't get bored of the same scenery year after year. That sounds good, but how often do folks not attend because its in a new location that they can't travel to and from in the time suitable to them on short notice?

I like change, but even more, I like being able to depend on certain things. Annual events are some of them. I play competitive volleyball tournaments throughout the year (indoors and out). I can tell you which tournaments I'm playing, where they are, and when they are year after year. I go to cars shows like Mopars in the Park, Back to the 50s, Car Craft, Cars n Coffee, etc year after year. I know when they are every year. I can actually plan my year(s) around those events.

To top it off, guess what all of those events have in common??? They get bigger and better every year! Bigger means more money. Eventually, it can mean a larger venue. But nonetheless, they get bigger.

My rant is over. I've explained my opinion to some key members before this. I don't think it will change the SDAC way, but maybe eventually it will.

Your points have logic to them.
On the other hand, if not for SDAC changing locations, I may never have seen Beale St, Walter P. Chrysler Museum or enjoyed an authentic Chicago deep dish pizza.

supercrackerbox
03-01-2017, 12:10 AM
I enjoy the different locales every year, but I love road trips. I love an excuse to pack a car and drive to a new part of the country. And part of the reason I love living in southeast Nebraska is that I'm fairly centered in the country, so north-south-east-west really make no difference. Give me a good navigator, a travel mug of coffee, and some snacks for the road and let's hit it! And now that I'm approaching my tenth year at my job, I have enough vacation time accrued to really stretch it out, especially with the usual dates being so close to the 4th of July paid holidays. Starting my vacation on the 23rd, I don't have to be back to work for a full two weeks.

83scamp
03-01-2017, 12:18 AM
I hate to turn this thread negative, but I feel a need to defend the SDAC Board, so they don't have to.

To all you non-paying whiners out there who think it's unfair you get left in the dark for a week or two, let me explain something to you. SDAC is a not for profit enthusiast car club. Nobody on the Board gets paid to do their job. In fact, running a club like SDAC is one of the most thankless jobs there is. Every one of them has a full time job & family outside of SDAC. They do it for the love of the cars & people, not to please a small group of cheap-@sses who think $30 a year is too much to ask. I used to run a car club, so I know how thankless it is. 10% of the people do 90% of the work. You are constantly griped at for not having enough events, then when you plan an event, the membership whines because they think you should have done more. But none of those whiners ever step up to help plan an event, or volunteer to help run it when it happens. They all want something for nothing. Part of the reason I quit trying to run one...

So far, I've only had the pleasure of attending 2 SDAC's. One as a spectator, and last year as a participant. I thought both were well run, and had an absolute blast last year(even with the 95+ degree weather). I look forward to attending this years event.

Comparing an SDAC Convention to something like the Car Craft Nationals, isn't even remotely fair. They have big-time Corporate sponsors to help them along. You want to turn SDAC conventions into a show like that? Then step up to the plate and help them get those big money sponsors.... Oh, wait, you can't (or won't) do that? Then don't complain about what it is.... We get sponsorship from the vendors that support our cars, and I have bought products from every one of them.

To JT, Dave, Barry, MB, and all the others who put countless hours into SDAC, THANK YOU for what you do. As a former car club President, I know it isn't easy, and I don't envy you in the least. Been there, done that. I think you guys do a great job keeping the fire alive in us FWD Mopar owners. I don't own a "Shelby" vehicle, but I have always felt welcomed & included when I attend an SDAC get together, and that means the world to me. Keep up the good work, and I'll see you all in June....

rdnoel86
03-01-2017, 02:33 AM
I re read this thread twice now, and I don't see anyone whining about anything. Someone put their suggestion in on what they would like to see or what might make it better. that's it. I complained about my past membership. Nothing is ever ventured or gained without feedback from potential attendees. Nobody is bashing anything related to the how SDAC 27 is being run or the people in charge. I happen to agree that it would be cool if it was in the same place every year with the same date. But if that is not how they want to do it or that's how the majority want it, that's cool too. It is already too late for me to plan anything other than the wedding I have to attend if it's the same weekend unless it happens to be in my back yard and I can sneak away to some of it....but I don't know where it's at.

You want a thankless job? Try being the state adviser for the Richard Petty fan club from 1975- 1985. Or try running a competitive travel softball organization with 9 teams by yourself and deal with 110 sets of parents on a daily basis....lovely stuff. Everyone knows that 90% of the work is done by 10% or less of the people in a non profit organization.

Your post made a mountain out of a mole hill.

masterjr33
03-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Looks like it will be a bit to far for me this year.

good luck there guys.
cant wait too see the pics.

ajakeski
03-01-2017, 10:01 AM
I think that the fact there has been an annual SDAC convention for the past 27 years is very impressive. Especially considering how small our community really is.
What makes the SDAC convention stand out is that it includes multiple events and it's not just one big, long car show where a bunch of dopes set up camp behind their cars and talk about how much more special their car is than yours.
More so, I appreciate the amount of time the very few people who run and have run SDAC put forth to make this event happen every year. Thank You!

djm3452004
03-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Re: "To all you non-paying whiners out there who think it'sunfair you get left in the dark for a week or two, let me explain something toyou. “

I paid a premium to attend SDAC26 because I wasn’t a SDACmember, so it wasn’t like I was expecting something for free. As a non-member, if I were receiving the sameadmissions price as a member, your argument would be valid, and I couldunderstand the information black-out.

But you have answered both the question I asked and severalI did not. Based on this discussion, Ipaid my $30 membership dues for a SDAC membership last night, but I personallydon’t pine for exclusivity in my life. Being part of a club where I can stand around and compare di…..ah,sorry, turbo sizes with other members is not where I get joy out of ahobby. Having someone random wave medown at a gas station and say “I remember seeing one of these race once” andget to chat with them for a while is all the gratification I need from a hobbylike this.

Dave

(And I still have no idea why the final posts keep randomlyeliminating spaces from between my words, then not letting me edit the postafter submission – probably because I’m still using an older Explorer browser….)

rdnoel86
03-01-2017, 06:26 PM
If find it helps if you reply above their quotes.....don't know why, but that works for me...

83scamp
03-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Re: "To all you non-paying whiners out there who think it'sunfair you get left in the dark for a week or two, let me explain something toyou. “

I paid a premium to attend SDAC26 because I wasn’t a SDACmember, so it wasn’t like I was expecting something for free. As a non-member, if I were receiving the sameadmissions price as a member, your argument would be valid, and I couldunderstand the information black-out.

But you have answered both the question I asked and severalI did not. Based on this discussion, Ipaid my $30 membership dues for a SDAC membership last night, but I personallydon’t pine for exclusivity in my life. Being part of a club where I can stand around and compare di…..ah,sorry, turbo sizes with other members is not where I get joy out of ahobby. Having someone random wave medown at a gas station and say “I remember seeing one of these race once” andget to chat with them for a while is all the gratification I need from a hobbylike this.

Dave

(And I still have no idea why the final posts keep randomlyeliminating spaces from between my words, then not letting me edit the postafter submission – probably because I’m still using an older Explorer browser….)

Well, I'm glad you decided to join & support the club. Welcome aboard!!!

I think you will find that there really isn't any exclusivity or comparing "whose turbo is bigger". It a group of gearheads just trying to enjoy their cars. In fact, my Scamp has always had a carb on it(soon to change), and I never felt excluded or singled out at an event. They welcome all FWD Mopars, not just the Shelby cars. I've yet to meet a member I didn't get along with, and everybody is willing to pitch in to help those in need. It is a truly great group of people.

I certainly hope you find your membership worth while.

contraption22
03-01-2017, 09:17 PM
Well, I'm glad you decided to join & support the club. Welcome aboard!!!

I think you will find that there really isn't any exclusivity or comparing "whose turbo is bigger". It a group of gearheads just trying to enjoy their cars. In fact, my Scamp has always had a carb on it(soon to change), and I never felt excluded or singled out at an event. They welcome all FWD Mopars, not just the Shelby cars. I've yet to meet a member I didn't get along with, and everybody is willing to pitch in to help those in need. It is a truly great group of people.

I certainly hope you find your membership worth while.

it was good meeting you and your son last year. I enjoyed his enthusiasm!

moparman76_69
03-02-2017, 06:46 AM
Looks like it will be a bit to far for me this year.

good luck there guys.
cant wait too see the pics.

It may be a haul but it's going to be worth it to be there.

masterjr33
03-02-2017, 09:09 AM
its less distance from me. then if you drove in indianpolis to Denver..

I notice a pattern of the same general area every year.. always with in about 200 miles from say Columbus ohio.

sdac guy
03-02-2017, 10:25 AM

I notice a pattern of the same general area every year.. always with in about 200 miles from say Columbus ohio.

Yeah, right. What map are you looking at?

I can count off about 6 locations that have been further than 500 miles from Columbus OH, including Memphis TN last year.

Barry

shmedley
03-02-2017, 02:30 PM

Even Chicago is over 350 miles from Columbus

A club has to put in a proposal to have the convention by them that's one reason for a lot of the same areas as it's the same groups putting them in.

Want it closer to you? Do some, OK maybe not some but a lot of, legwork (finding places for the car show, drag strip, host hotel and things like the hospitality night and a lot of other little things I'm forgetting) and make a formal proposal to the head office

masterjr33
03-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Me being nice.
"Looks like it will be a bit to far for me this year.

good luck there guys.
cant wait too see the pics."

Normal response

Me being honest

You guys missing the point
Yeah, right. What map are you looking at?

I can count off about 6 locations that have been further than 500 miles from Columbus OH, including Memphis TN last year.

You guys sorrrrtttaaa getting the point
Even Chicago is over 350 miles from Columbus

A club has to put in a proposal to have the convention by them that's one reason for a lot of the same areas as it's the same groups putting them in.

cant make it for
#1 its a 17+ hour drive each way. ( 2 days driving each way. 1,100+ miles each way.)
#2 its always in the same geographical / general location / area / division of the country/ vicinity / locale.
#3 would be cool if this was some where "fun to go to" i could convince my wife/kids to go to as a vacation.. vegas.. atlantic city. charleston. DC area. Houston. Orlando/disney.
#4 spoke with others in my area that wanted to go. was hoping to tag along maybe split the ride..
they are not going for reasons #1 #2 and #3

just being observant. not being negative or aggressive or angry.. just observing.

sdac guy
03-02-2017, 05:52 PM
cant make it for
#1 its a 17+ hour drive each way. ( 2 days driving each way. 1,100+ miles each way.)
#2 its always in the same geographical / general location / area / division of the country/ vicinity / locale.
#3 would be cool if this was some where "fun to go to" i could convince my wife/kids to go to as a vacation.. vegas.. atlantic city. charleston. DC area. Houston. Orlando/disney.
#4 spoke with others in my area that wanted to go. was hoping to tag along maybe split the ride..
they are not going for reasons #1 #2 and #3

just being observant. not being negative or aggressive or angry.. just observing.

But I take offense at it because the basis of what you are saying isn't true. You have not done your homework is seeing where we have been in 26 years. We've even held an event in Ontario Canada. See this thread to see where we've been: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69877-locations-of-all-previous-SDAC-national-events

The problem with having our event in a "fun" area like you mention, is that hotel prices are at a premium, and there are few, if any, dragstrips, road courses, or autocross sites in those locations. We go for 3-4 days of CAR EVENTS to fill our schedule. We rent a dragstrip every year.

Rick Diogo from the Miami area has been to a number of our events. He has flown in many times, but I think he has driven to a couple. There was a long time member from central FL that towed his GLHS to many of our early events. He was an older fellow and sold his car a few years ago. David Salamone of Positive Impressions, from Jacksonville, has driven to many of our events and still drives to Carlisle PA on occasion also.

But it is all a matter of perspective. For your point #2 above, what you mean is that the event isn't in your backyard. To say it is always in the same area, from your perspective, means it is north or west of the SE area of the country. Certainly the statement isn't true by itself.

From Delaware to Topeka KS, from Carlisle PA to Memphis TN, that's a huge area of the country we've covered. And BTW, we had folks that lived in Delaware, NJ, and Wash DC area that drove to Topeka KS (for both of our events there). And we have members that live in California that have driven to our events even when they are in the east. Johnny from Oregon has driven to a number of our events in recent years. And we frequently see guys from Alberta Canada at our events (as well as Ontario and other provinces). Many of these folks are driving more than 2000 miles one way.

The thing is, unless you experience our event for yourself, you have no idea what you are missing. :clap::clap::clap:

Barry

moparman76_69
03-02-2017, 11:32 PM
FWIW I'm saying that not just generally going to a SDAC but specifically going to one at that location is worth it.

Johnny
03-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Chris and I were at the last Detroit one. We took a wrong turn (stupid gps) and ended up in a "ruff" part of the city.
So ruff we were a little more than "oh crap".... are we going to live through this?

Even this ^^^. will give us a memory we will NEVER forget!!
:)

wheming
03-03-2017, 12:06 PM
Nice one Johnny....

86Shelby
03-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Saving my nickles & dimes to go this year. It'll be a trek, hopefully within a long 1 day drive.

supercrackerbox
03-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Buying a GLHS was your excuse last year. Won't fly this time.

wheming
03-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Buying a GLHS was your excuse last year. Won't fly this time.

Unless he is buying another one!? ;)

DodgeZdad
03-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Johnny......I did the same thing after the grocery store close and went to a "party store" several blocks off the main drag.........Scary as hell.

bigbarneycars
03-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Barry. At the last Meet in the Motor City I was living 45 minutes from World Headquarters and sitting and chatting with you at the Museum and meeting many Members and the memories are still very strong. Now however I find myself in a different part of this country and 850 miles away. AAARRRGGGHHHH, WHAT TAH DO? WHAT TAH DO? HUMMM? Jer

83scamp
03-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Barry. At the last Meet in the Motor City I was living 45 minutes from World Headquarters and sitting and chatting with you at the Museum and meeting many Members and the memories are still very strong. Now however I find myself in a different part of this country and 850 miles away. AAARRRGGGHHHH, WHAT TAH DO? WHAT TAH DO? HUMMM? Jer

Get that purple truck back and drive it up here!!! Last year tied the record(I believe), at 5 trucks. Let's get more here this year!!!:whip:

Of course, I say that, and mine is still sitting in the garage broken, while I work on the new engine/trans combo...:p

I certainly hope it's finished before SDAC 27, or I'll be driving the Daytona, which isn't entirely bad either...

DodgeZ
03-04-2017, 01:10 PM
It is not meant to be a secret, it is just that our members get the word first, as a courtesy to them.

It is dumb. I mean even the real world dynamics don't make sense. If they are so old they don't get email how would they even know it came out on the internet first? And why would they care? Funny as the world has changed so much we are focused on how we did ---- back in the day. before the internet was thing. Maybe we should ditch the custom tunes and go back to g-valves and cold start injectors...

The thing is, unless you experience our event for yourself, you have no idea what you are missing. :clap::clap::clap:

Barry are you coming out of retirement? I assume you didn't miss the last Memphis SDAC because it was to far away? I am sure it was the heat? :thumb:

I'd say the SDAC needs to figure out what it is. What it was and what it needs to be going forward. The community is shrinking. These are car aren't new with value. They are rotted out, broke down and not worth much. How do you turn that around?

If the SDAC's life line is 60 year olds that require a snail mailed newletters I'd say it won't be around much longer. What is that the SDAC does? Preinternet the tech hotline was a good thing for members, as well as the newletter. Fast forward to a world of internet and smartphones, well you get all of that and more for free. So all that is left is for the SDAC to put on a car show? Not sure we need an exclusive club for that. Just put on a car show, it is open to everyone anyways.

I like and support the SDAC but I am not sure what my yearly dues really fund. If it just for the car show that could be rolled in to the cost of the show. If anything I'd like to see the SDAC figure out how to get people back in to the community. New folks that want to fix up and restore these old cars. And maybe some new shirt designs that instead of these 25 year old graphics.

83scamp
03-04-2017, 01:44 PM
It is dumb. I mean even the real world dynamics don't make sense. If they are so old they don't get email how would they even know it came out on the internet first? And why would they care? Funny as the world has changed so much we are focused on how we did ---- back in the day. before the internet was thing. Maybe we should ditch the custom tunes and go back to g-valves and cold start injectors...

Barry are you coming out of retirement? I assume you didn't miss the last Memphis SDAC because it was to far away? I am sure it was the heat? :thumb:

I'd say the SDAC needs to figure out what it is. What it was and what it needs to be going forward. The community is shrinking. These are car aren't new with value. They are rotted out, broke down and not worth much. How do you turn that around?

If the SDAC's life line is 60 year olds that require a snail mailed newletters I'd say it won't be around much longer. What is that the SDAC does? Preinternet the tech hotline was a good thing for members, as well as the newletter. Fast forward to a world of internet and smartphones, well you get all of that and more for free. So all that is left is for the SDAC to put on a car show? Not sure we need an exclusive club for that. Just put on a car show, it is open to everyone anyways.

I like and support the SDAC but I am not sure what my yearly dues really fund. If it just for the car show that could be rolled in to the cost of the show. If anything I'd like to see the SDAC figure out how to get people back in to the community. New folks that want to fix up and restore these old cars. And maybe some new shirt designs that instead of these 25 year old graphics.

Well, obviously, you've never been to an SDAC convention. Because most of what you just spewed is BS. The vast majority of cars that are at the convention are very nice examples of 80's Mopars. While there are a few "works in progress", everybody appreciates what folks bring.

It's not just a car show, there is always a drag day, usually some kind of autoX/parking lot event, and good times & great food to enjoy. A lot of work goes into these events.

MB has done a great job the last couple of year with NEW artwork for the T-shirts.

I for one, appreciate the hands-on flavor these conventions have. Folks helping each other out, real car guys wrenching, bench racing, having a good time. It's not all pretentious like a West Coast cars & coffee, where the doctors & lawyers show up in their Lambo's, Ferrari's, and classic cars that they paid gigabucks for some restoration shop to work on. That they have never so much as checked oil on because they don't want to get ther hands dirty...

SDAC is a car guys(and girls) club. It's for real folks who love their cars, and enjoy working on them. If that's not what you want, then it's not for you...

DodgeZ
03-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Well, obviously, you've never been to an SDAC convention. Because most of what you just spewed is BS. The vast majority of cars that are at the convention are very nice examples of 80's Mopars. While there are a few "works in progress", everybody appreciates what folks bring.

It's not just a car show, there is always a drag day, usually some kind of autoX/parking lot event, and good times & great food to enjoy. A lot of work goes into these events.

MB has done a great job the last couple of year with NEW artwork for the T-shirts.

I for one, appreciate the hands-on flavor these conventions have. Folks helping each other out, real car guys wrenching, bench racing, having a good time. It's not all pretentious like a West Coast cars & coffee, where the doctors & lawyers show up in their Lambo's, Ferrari's, and classic cars that they paid gigabucks for some restoration shop to work on. That they have never so much as checked oil on because they don't want to get ther hands dirty...

SDAC is a car guys(and girls) club. It's for real folks who love their cars, and enjoy working on them. If that's not what you want, then it's not for you...

Sorry you wasted your time typing all of this. Again. You don't need a car club to put on the show.

DodgeZ
03-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Well, obviously, you've never been to an SDAC convention. Because most of what you just spewed is BS.

Yep, never been to an SDAC... lol

bigbarneycars
03-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Have to tell Mr. Slowe to make sure the boost limiter stops at 'bout 10 lbs, before I get it back, then maybe. It's 14 hours foot in the fan an balls to the wall. I think the longest I ran non stop when I was out chasin' was in the summer of '79 when I ran from Woodland Hills,SoCal. to Walcott, Ia. 'bout 15 miles from the Mississippi. Body won't let me do that anymore My Friend and my brain won't either, It's ah Beach gettin' old. We'll see, Jer

sdac guy
03-04-2017, 03:25 PM

Kevin, I'm happy to see your cynicism is still intact. :clap: The pattern of our past actions have served us well, no need to change them just for sake of change. When looking at 26 years of our events there isn't any true indication of a lack of interest among our members. We continue to draw nearly a third of our membership to our events. This is a figure that has held steady over time.

If anything it will be the rising costs of putting on the events that will change how we do things in the future. For example, to rent a dragstrip today costs roughly 5 times what it did back in 2000. And even though we have raised the fee for our members to drag race to cover those costs, the number of drag racers we get at our events is roughly the same.

I certainly took the heat into my decision, as I remembered how hot it was there for SDAC-12. But mainly it was that I just didn't feel like going. For so many years I had to go whether I felt like it or not, and now I have the luxury of deciding whether I want to go or not. :D

If the SDAC's life line is 60 year olds that require a snail mailed newletters I'd say it won't be around much longer. What is that the SDAC does? Preinternet the tech hotline was a good thing for members, as well as the newletter. Fast forward to a world of internet and smartphones, well you get all of that and more for free. I might be willing to concede that point. After all I am only a little over a year away from being 70, and I do still look forward to getting a newsletter in the mail. But something I've said for many years now, is that our main competition for information on our cars comes from the internet. We are not the only game in town anymore, and that is very true. It is more difficult to get out newsletters with original content and that has been true for many years. Whether this adds up to be the downfall of the club remains to be seen, and how long that may take can be debated.

So all that is left is for the SDAC to put on a car show? Not sure we need an exclusive club for that. Just put on a car show, it is open to everyone anyways. Well that is not entirely true (the last part). Joe Schmoe driving a Mustang, Camaro, or Honda cannot drive up to our show and be admitted (and he can't drag race with us either, although members are allowed to enter the show or race anything they own).

I like and support the SDAC but I am not sure what my yearly dues really fund. If it just for the car show that could be rolled in to the cost of the show. If anything I'd like to see the SDAC figure out how to get people back in to the community. New folks that want to fix up and restore these old cars.

Getting new folks into the community is a goal the club leadership shares, but it is not an easy thing to do though.

Barry

83scamp
03-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Yep, never been to an SDAC... lol

Well,

If you've been to that many, and still have that attitude, I truely feel sorry for you.

I met a lot of good folks there last year. Made some new friends, and look forward to seeing them again this year. I guess in the end, that what really counts in my book. Guess it just depends on what you value in life...

Sure, seeing the cars is awesome, but the memories I created with my son, and that he still talks about to me weekly, are what are really important. When I told him this years convention location had been announced, he got all giddy and asked me when we start packing!!!;) That is what is really worth it... On the way home from Memphis last year, he even told me that he wants a truck like mine for his first vehicle. Wants to buy one that we can fix up together. I'm not a real emotional guy, but that just about brought tears to my eyes...

$30 a year.... yeah, it's worth it to me...:amen:

86Shelby
03-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Unless he is buying another one!? ;)

I sure hope not. 6 cars on my property and only 2 are in a garage. I need another car just as bad as a hole in my head.

DodgeZ
03-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Kevin, I'm happy to see your cynicism is still intact. :clap: I am happy to see retirement hasn't stopped you from being a jack ---. :clap:

If you've been to that many, and still have that attitude, I truely feel sorry for you. You can send money you want. That may make you feel better.

I think you have missed the point. I like the SDAC events. They are great events, even if they are so far away I have to fly in, that is why I keep going to them. I also know how much work it is to put on the show. I don't see why I would pay 30 dollars a year if it only goes to the show (or to fund the postage on newsletters for old people like Barry who have the internet but don't want to read a PDF for some odd reason). That cost could easily be rolled in to the show admission fee.

I'd rather fund growing the member base as the core of it is only going to get smaller unless we act now. There are great cars at the show but think about what I am saying. 15 years ago most of these cars were in pretty good shape. Now the normal cars need to be restored, they are 30 years old. Who is getting in to these cars to do that work other than our current base? What do you think happens to old cars that no one cares about? Scrap metal. The base can't save them all.

I tried to keep up with my SDAC membership. Unless JT mails my renewal on newsletter. My wife has orders to toss them out as soon as they come in, hate to say that but it is true.

sdac guy
03-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Well I was in the middle of a fairly long reply and I hit the wrong key, and poof it was gone.

NOW, I am ticked off at this stupid editor! :mad:

I will respond to this though:

I am happy to see retirement hasn't stopped you from being a jack ---. :clap:

That made me laugh! Thanks Kev.

Barry

rdnoel86
03-04-2017, 07:29 PM
I sort of agree with DodgeZ that the life is draining out of the TM community. Just look at this site. The traffic, or at least the posting has slowed down to a crawl from what it once was. Even if SDAC is still staying fairly consistent, it isn't growing, the same with this community in general. I bought my first SC in 1983. I'm 54 years old. At some point a lot of us old guys are going to be gone and where are the youth to replace us? Sure there is a few, but for the most part, no one that is under 30 has even seen our cars unless their mom or dad has one.

So for me, I think at some point we will need to partner with another club, like Neons or Mopars in general and be part of a bigger meet. In part to drive costs down and in part to let more people see our cars and maybe develop a love for them that we do and get more supporters that way. I racing buddies are pretty much all Neon guys.....they grew up with the Neon so that's what they know.

But it is cool talking shop with them and some of the old cars come up. The other day a guy asked me if I knew someone in Ohio that has a blue car like mine and run mid 10's. I said that sounds like Rob Pachner and showed him a pic from my phone. It was Rob's car and he loved it. Friday I saw my first SC going down the road in probably 5 years. You just don't see the old cars and the only way to get more people involved is to get more people to see them... just imo...sorry for the novel.....carry on....

DodgeZ
03-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Well I was in the middle of a fairly long reply and I hit the wrong key, and poof it was gone.

NOW, I am ticked off at this stupid editor! :mad:

I will respond to this though:

That made me laugh! Thanks Kev.

Barry

I thought it was pretty funny. HA.

I did miss you in Memphis, was a bit disappointed you weren't there.

sdac guy
03-04-2017, 09:15 PM
I did miss you in Memphis, was a bit disappointed you weren't there.

Thanks.

I just looked through my newsletter from the event. I did feel a little sad that it was all I had to reference the event, no memories of it of course. I felt doubly bad when I read some of the names of folks that were there and I missed seeing them (just about everybody).

Gee, glad I didn't have to read that online in a pdf.

Barry

Aries_Turbo
03-04-2017, 10:07 PM
aaaah, kevin being an ---. barry being a smartass.

makes me want to go to SDAC! (for real... no joke for the newbs that dont know the history)

Brian

DodgeZ
03-05-2017, 01:03 AM
Gee, glad I didn't have to read that online in a pdf.

I know the HD full color pictures would just ruin it.....

aaaah, kevin being an ---. barry being a smartass.

makes me want to go to SDAC! (for real... no joke for the newbs that dont know the history)

Brian

Brian also missing from 26........

Aries_Turbo
03-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Brian also missing from 26........

yup. just had a new baby a few months before. wont be there this year either. more baby related shenanigans.

Brian

DodgeZ
03-05-2017, 10:55 AM
yup. just had a new baby a few months before. wont be there this year either. more baby related shenanigans.

Brian

I had a new baby and a pregnant wife. I still made it...

ATaylorRacing
03-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Not going to give away any info on SDAC27 except that I am VERY happy it will not be in Memphis! Matchbox is usually okay in the heat, me...not so much. I do remember when we went to Canada it was way hotter than normal. I did crappy poor all last year and Memphis was my last drag race. I found that without a heater core and the extra coolant to it I could not maintain a steady water temp which destroyed the consistency of the box. If I knew I would have been that crappy I would have taken my Prius and gotten 2 1/2 times the mpg...and AC...and it even has more mph than the Matchbox, but a second slower!

moparman76_69
03-05-2017, 02:57 PM
Chris and I were at the last Detroit one. We took a wrong turn (stupid gps) and ended up in a "ruff" part of the city.
So ruff we were a little more than "oh crap".... are we going to live through this?

Even this ^^^. will give us a memory we will NEVER forget!!
:)

What about that pizza place in a less than desirable part of town we went to at 18 upon Butch's suggestion?

There are so many memories in general but specially at Detroit. The hotel in the past (hopefully we are there again) was awesome, and the venues were awesome. It's exciting to go back there.

Johnny
03-06-2017, 01:30 AM
That was great pizza....want to go there again.

contraption22
03-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Not going to give away any info on SDAC27 except that I am VERY happy it will not be in Memphis! Matchbox is usually okay in the heat, me...not so much. I do remember when we went to Canada it was way hotter than normal. I did crappy poor all last year and Memphis was my last drag race. I found that without a heater core and the extra coolant to it I could not maintain a steady water temp which destroyed the consistency of the box. If I knew I would have been that crappy I would have taken my Prius and gotten 2 1/2 times the mpg...and AC...and it even has more mph than the Matchbox, but a second slower!

I did pretty well in the brackets and won the turtle. Not bad for a borrowed car! Very consistent.

minigts
03-06-2017, 12:20 PM
I did pretty well in the brackets and won the turtle. Not bad for a borrowed car! Very consistent.

It's also very possible that the drivers who did well in all the races are in fact good drivers and simply drove better. Give the horrible conditions implied, I'd say all the drivers showed their capabilities. Congrats to all who overcame!

wheming
03-06-2017, 03:25 PM
It's also very possible that the drivers who did well in all the races are in fact good drivers and simply drove better. Give the horrible conditions implied, I'd say all the drivers showed their capabilities. Congrats to all who overcame!

^^That, or they simply got lucky. ;)

That is, not to take away from the tremendous skill it does take to apparently win the turtle race...

turboshad
03-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Reading this thread is like going to a car show and seeing an LS swapped RX7. Do we really need to see one every year?

If you really want to go to SDAC and hang out with great people you only get to see once a year then you'll find a way to make it. I missed last year and will do everything I can to make sure it doesn't happen again. If you're too far away but still love the drive then fly to a buddies place that lives closer and have a great time. If you have no buddies then fly to the event itself. If all or any of that is too much work then you must not really want it that bad.

Boy what I wouldn't give to have SDAC within 15hrs of my place. That is a totally doable solo trip in one day, even easier with a co-driver (which I have never had). But alas that will never happen so instead of griping I attend and make lasting memories.

contraption22
03-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Reading this thread is like going to a car show and seeing an LS swapped RX7. Do we really need to see one every year?

If you really want to go to SDAC and hang out with great people you only get to see once a year then you'll find a way to make it. I missed last year and will do everything I can to make sure it doesn't happen again. If you're too far away but still love the drive then fly to a buddies place that lives closer and have a great time. If you have no buddies then fly to the event itself. If all or any of that is too much work then you must not really want it that bad.

Boy what I wouldn't give to have SDAC within 15hrs of my place. That is a totally doable solo trip in one day, even easier with a co-driver (which I have never had). But alas that will never happen so instead of griping I attend and make lasting memories.

Where did you find a buddy?

turboshad
03-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Where did you find a buddy?

Craigslist

Aries_Turbo
03-06-2017, 10:21 PM
I had a new baby and a pregnant wife. I still made it...

thats what i did for 25..... i dont remember seeing you there....

2.216VTurbo
03-06-2017, 11:11 PM
OH Fer Chissakes! Is anyone in this thread that's whining about the distance to SDAC further away than I am?? I think not! Here's some tips for those members.

1) Yes, we want you to attend, even if it's too far to drive.

2) There are cheap flights, I've been attending SDAC for 10 years and haven't driven there yet. It costs less to fly than drive 15+ hours and pay for fuel/food/hotel.

3) You will have fun helping other SDAC members tune/wrench on/race/fix their cars. You have TM wrenching skills? Think about helping someone who has a car there, they will appreciate it:)

4) SDAC is about the cars AND the people:amen: Show up, contribute in any way you can. Have fun! I have every time.

5) Im planning on have a little gold 2.4l powered L body in Detroit for SDAC this year, I need 3 TM enthiusiasts that DONT have cars there to ride with me on the rally!

Johnny
03-07-2017, 12:12 AM
What airport would be best to fly into?

speeddemon
03-07-2017, 09:27 AM
What airport would be best to fly into?

Detroit Metro

contraption22
03-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Detroit Metro
Will you be there, Craig?

turboshad
03-07-2017, 11:08 AM

Too far of a drive.

BadAssPerformance
03-07-2017, 02:01 PM
OH Fer Chissakes! Is anyone in this thread that's whining about the distance to SDAC further away than I am?? I think not! Here's some tips for those members.

1) Yes, we want you to attend, even if it's too far to drive.

2) There are cheap flights, I've been attending SDAC for 10 years and haven't driven there yet. It costs less to fly than drive 15+ hours and pay for fuel/food/hotel.

3) You will have fun helping other SDAC members tune/wrench on/race/fix their cars. You have TM wrenching skills? Think about helping someone who has a car there, they will appreciate it:)

4) SDAC is about the cars AND the people:amen: Show up, contribute in any way you can. Have fun! I have every time.

5) Im planning on have a little gold 2.4l powered L body in Detroit for SDAC this year, I need 3 TM enthiusiasts that DONT have cars there to ride with me on the rally!

Well said! :clap:

speeddemon
03-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Yup. Sadly had to miss the last two. Likely I'll be arriving on Sunday AM (looks like I need to attend a family wedding on Saturday evening) for the duration.

Looking forward to it.

wheming
03-07-2017, 08:51 PM
So anyone in the southeast (VA, NC, SC, GA, FL...) area know they are driving? My brother and I will most likely drive from here, with Mini in-tow.
If meeting up with other turbo-mopar travelers along the wsy works out, we could "caravan" it!

Keito
03-08-2017, 07:33 AM
Yup. Sadly had to miss the last two. Likely I'll be arriving on Sunday AM (looks like I need to attend a family wedding on Saturday evening) for the duration.

Looking forward to it.

Not after Trump rolls out the new travel ban!

BOOSTIFIED
03-18-2017, 03:29 AM
I really wanna go to this, I've been in the TD scene since the mid 90's , and this one is within 3-4 hours of me, I'd have to go alone and don't really know anybody lol.

ajakeski
03-18-2017, 08:29 AM
You'll know everyone within a few minutes after getting there. Plus you get to put a name and face with these online aliases.

minigts
03-18-2017, 01:51 PM
You'll know everyone within a few minutes after getting there. Plus you get to put a name and face with these online aliases.

Definitely. I knew like 3 people when I attended my first one, but by Monday I knew a ton of people and every year I meet someone else. Great opportunity to get to really know the community and the fact you're just a few hours away, at the least drive in for the weekend and do the meet and greet Saturday and car show Sunday. I would always encourage people to attend the entire event, but cost and time are two factors that we can't always afford. I left early my first SDAC (2007), but have since stayed the entire time. Hope you can make it! We'll do our best to be hospitable.

BOOSTIFIED
03-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys, my car 86 glhs won't be making it, still acquiring stuff for resto. But I would love to see some stuff in person.

contraption22
03-19-2017, 08:33 AM
Definitely. I knew like 3 people when I attended my first one, but by Monday I knew a ton of people and every year I meet someone else. Great opportunity to get to really know the community and the fact you're just a few hours away, at the least drive in for the weekend and do the meet and greet Saturday and car show Sunday. I would always encourage people to attend the entire event, but cost and time are two factors that we can't always afford. I left early my first SDAC (2007), but have since stayed the entire time. Hope you can make it! We'll do our best to be hospitable.
Who are you again?

Sgt Craig
03-19-2017, 12:12 PM

i won the brackets at Neons 2005@milan in a borrowed car.it was red and the heat worked but it was hot so i didnt need the heat.Couldnt run the a/c becuase it would have leaked on the track,so i sweated and it was hot.

bigbarneycars
03-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the inspirational kick in the a$$ AJ. If Brian up there in Philadelphia comes thru' for me (And I'm sure he will) I'll be making that 15 hour drive to #27 from Wilmington, N.C. in my G.T.Scamp TII. See Yeah there, Jer

dodgeman87
03-24-2017, 10:49 AM
I'll be there. Road trips are fun. Different parts of the country are fun. I save every week right after the last SDAC and by the time the next one rolls around it's almost 100% paid for. Its like a Kmart layaway for vacation. See ya there !!!

contraption22
03-24-2017, 12:41 PM
I'll be there. Road trips are fun. Different parts of the country are fun. I save every week right after the last SDAC and by the time the next one rolls around it's almost 100% paid for. Its like a Kmart layaway for vacation. See ya there !!!

I've always felt the road trip was a big part of the fun, but last year driving through this for several hours kinda sucked. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/1cd61f745ae00641a1a60edcc4d7073a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny
03-24-2017, 01:25 PM
We drove though that also with the Consulier, we got soaked.

tommyturbo
03-25-2017, 02:50 AM
So where exactly is it at this year?

glhs0075
03-27-2017, 12:52 PM
I really wanna go to this, I've been in the TD scene since the mid 90's , and this one is within 3-4 hours of me, I'd have to go alone and don't really know anybody lol.

I wouldn't worry about not knowing anybody, I can speak from first hand experience that you will be made to feel welcome, you will be surrounded by fellow TD enthusiasts, and it will feel like a family reunion.

Gaboon
03-30-2017, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't worry about not knowing anybody, I can speak from first hand experience that you will be made to feel welcome, you will be surrounded by fellow TD enthusiasts, and it will feel like a family reunion.

Have beer, will find friends.