PDA

View Full Version : Staple Replacement for OmniPotent L-Body Inner Window Sweeps

djm3452004
01-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Good Evening, All—

I had a question for those who have previously installed theOmniPotent L-Body inner window sweeps. Whatdid you use to replace the staples to secure the new inner sweep to the plastictop of the door panel?

I thought about trying pop rivets with a washer on theplastic side to prevent pull-through, but then the plastic top of the doorpanel may not fit back over the steel door structure due to rivet interference.

Regular staple gun staples for paper are too light-weight,and I’m thinking flat staples for a shop staple gun may not have the strengtheither once they’re hand-bent over. Arethere commercially available round staples of the approx. gauge of theoriginals that someone has had success with?

Please let me know your thoughts –

Thanks in advance!
Dave

going4speed
01-16-2017, 07:52 PM
I used 1/16" 308L Tig welding wire. Made exact duplicates of the staples, used the old trim as a template for the holes, then pulled the new stainless 'staples' through and twisted the leg of the staple to match how they were setup from the factory.

djm3452004
01-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Once again, going4speed, thanks for your help! I was thinking something of about a 1/16" diameter may do the trick. Not looking forward to drilling all those little tiny holes through the new sweeps!

Thanks again --
Dave

going4speed
01-17-2017, 11:31 PM
If you want some wire to try pm me your address and I'll drop some in the mail.:nod:

djm3452004
01-20-2017, 09:49 PM
If you want some wire to try pm me your address and I'll drop some in the mail.:nod:

Thank you sir, but I was able to find a solution thatworked. I used Hillman #5 ClothStaples that I got from Lowes, Hillman Item #532485. They are about 1/16” diameter round steel wire stapleswith a squared-off top, and they are pre-painted black.

I did all (4) sweeps, and the cloth staples bent withneedle-nose pliers, looking almost exactly as the factory staples did. That was a lot of little tiny holes to drillin the new sweeps!

Have a good evening!
Dave