PDA

View Full Version : The BMF intake...may be back!

acannell
01-04-2017, 07:45 PM
As you may or may not know, I used to make a huge tubular intake for the 2.2/2.5 called the BMF intake, pictures and info here:

http://exoticelectron.com/bmf_intake.html

I have not been producing it for quite some time now, but I have been talking with a forum member who is interested in taking over manufacturing of the BMF intake, and making them available for sale again!

If you have been wanting a BMF intake, now is the time to speak up and say you would buy one! This will go a very long way in convincing the potential new manufacturer to produce them!

For the moment, assume that the design would remain exactly the same, and the price would stay at $572 shipped to USA for a fully welded BMF intake, paid with credit card/paypal.

Keito
01-05-2017, 07:35 AM
It would have been nice to see more results than 1 person.
I'm surprised people haven't been running them, but it does seem like most are working on big builds.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?77728-Do-you-own-a-BMF-Status-update-please!&highlight=

wheming
01-05-2017, 07:53 AM
I was looking forward to seeing more results also. With how our projects normally go, we might have to wait years before we see all those builds completed.

Force Fed Mopar
01-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Jayspartanburg on here just put one on his 8v TC last week or so ago. Actually just got off the phone with him, he's got some sensor issues to work out then it should be ready for tuning.

Shadow
01-06-2017, 11:37 AM
I was looking forward to seeing more results also. With how our projects normally go, we might have to wait years before we see all those builds completed.

I think Asa summed it up best at the very beginning;

His goal was to produce an intake manifold that would rival a well ported 2 piece at a cost that was reasonable enough to make it a no-brainer. (250.00 at the time IMS, seeing this was the average cost to buy a 2 piece)

Now before anyone thinks I'm taking liberties here, or posting for any other reason except giving the Best info I can on this subject; I was in on this from the beginning and played a key role in its outcome. I have installed 2 BMF's, 1 out of the box, 1 that we "upgraded" and improved on the original design.

In its current form, the best I can say is the BMF will outperform 99% of the ported 2 piece intakes out there. (there are 1% or less that have the ability to make a Better intake out of the 2 piece via funneling the lower runners vs the non funneled runners of the BMF)

So the goal as far as performance was reached, but the price point was not realistic and could not be made for the 250.00 original goal. I believe the first group buy was 340.00USD? (again IMS) That was still a great deal and a no-brainer as the cost to properly port a 2 piece (unless you have the skills yourself and Don't count your time) + the cost of the 2 piece itself would more than likely be more. Also, there were No other options out there at that Bargain price to even consider.

Here's where things get tricky;

At 572.00USD (that's about 750.00CND now) everything changes.

The BMF has it's drawbacks and one of them is the fitment of the turbocharger in Most applications, as Most will still be using the stock exhaust mani. This can be made to work, but is a PITA if you Really want it done Right. (in a manner that is easy to work on later)

The current TB elbow is slightly restricted even for the 58mm TB and leaves No ability to upgrade to larger TB.

You still have to deal with mounting and making a knock sensor work so it's tunable.

You have to change to ZF PS pump.

On the other hand, it also has some advantages. It's lower plenum design allows it to be used on vehicle with Factory hood vents and drip trays without interference.

Other options; at the higher price point All other options come into play. So now you really need to decide what you want to do.

Do you Need the added performance of the BMF over a well ported 2 piece? Specially when fit and finish come into play.

Maybe you want to run the lower half of a 2 piece so you can port and "Funnel" the runners and place a Big upper plenum on for as good or Better performance, as that option is now on the table at this price as well.

Maybe you want to build a Scratch manifold. For 750.00 CND that Too becomes a viable option.

Most will not need an intake of this magnitude till north of 400WHP, and the BMF will support 500+WHP without issue. Having said that, would I swap one on the Charger in it's current form over the modded 1 piece I'm running now.........No. There would be no point, as the modded 1 piece has attributes that the stage 1 BMF just doesn't have.

I say stage 1, because the original plan was to improve the design as time went on. (AFAIC) Unfortunately that never happened, and the price went up with no upgrade in design which left Most who could Really use a piece like this Wanting.......

Better entrance and runner air flow stability via hemisphere ends.

At the very least, choice of TB elbow ID size, maybe upgrade current to at least a True 60mm ID for better flow to plenum.

Knock sensor mount integral to the manifold. (If you add this up the price gets into the 800.00 CND range)

And the #1 thing the BMF is missing (IMO) proper angled and funneled runners. (this option alone could make the intake worth More that it's current price point)

Now, having said all of this, you can clearly see that there Are applications where the BMF is a near perfect fit. Someone who Needs the hood clearance and so is willing to go through the W/G can modding to make the turbo work. Might be well worth it.

Maybe your running a header, or TBI exhaust Or TU? So turbo fitment is no longer an issue.

I think for the BMF to endure, it needs to come out with some other options. It's a one size fits all right now, and I'm going to say that 400-550WHP is its usable range in current form, and that's saying a lot! How many 8v's out there making 550WHP?

Best advise I can give; IF you're considering the BMF in current form, design your build Around It, rather than trying to make it fit your build. Just like the ZF pump, or No PS pump for that matter, you can make your life easier picking the right pieces that will compliment this intake in current form ;)

Vigo
01-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Cliffnotes: Perfection is the enemy of the good?

Dr. Johny Dodge
01-06-2017, 12:16 PM
sadly it's gonna cost even more than $750 CDN as there is still shipping , tax (13%) and brokerage if shipped UPS or FEDX

acannell
01-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Im not sure what the possibilities are for an experienced, efficient, commercial shop, as far as producing BMF intakes. The way I was producing them is not how a commercial shop would. I was doing single-vise setups with one piece at a time, on a very small and low power mill. A normal shop with a big mill could do much better, even without designing fixtures and simply using multiple small vises on the bed. And then there is the possibility of casting the head flanges instead of machining them. It has some pretty drastic thickness variations but maybe they could be dealt with or changed somehow. The rest of the parts are a far cry from the complexity of the head flange as far as manufacturing. Who knows might be able to make BMF intake unwelded kits even cheaper than I was. Im not sure what it would cost to pay someone to TIG weld a couple dozen BMF's together though. My best time welding one up was I think 2 hours non stop.

GLHS60
01-06-2017, 04:25 PM
And the #1 thing the BMF is missing (IMO) proper angled and funneled runners. (this option alone could make the intake worth More that it's current price point

My thoughts exactly, right from the get go.

Thanks
Randy

acannell
01-11-2017, 05:18 PM
got some interest! the more people the more likely BMF's will get made again!

1.ilovethecane69
2.catchacuda
3.cornflakes_GLHT
4.INSATANSSEAT
5.dartswinger

Ubmbass
01-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Oh sure, NOW you decide to make more haha.

acannell
01-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Oh sure, NOW you decide to make more haha.

it wont be me! but if enough people want one someone else might take over and Ill help them get the process going

Mr overkill
02-17-2017, 12:45 PM
im interested in one depending on what the price point would be

acannell
02-17-2017, 01:33 PM
im interested in one depending on what the price point would be

cool! I think the assumption it would be the same price as before..so around $572 shipped to USA for a fully welded intake

1.ilovethecane69
2.catchacuda
3.cornflakes_GLHT
4.INSATANSSEAT
5.dartswinger
6.Mr Overkill

acannell
03-11-2017, 06:29 PM
1.ilovethecane69
2.catchacuda
3.cornflakes_GLHT
4.INSATANSSEAT