PDA

View Full Version : Tial BOV and springs

iTurbo
10-11-2006, 05:34 AM
I recently installed a Tial BOV on my Spirit R/T. Problem is the internal spring is VERY stiff and it will only release when shifting at WOT (full boost). I found out I have the '11 psi' spring inside of it and Tial does make other springs based on how much vacuum the engine is making at idle. Will the '7 psi' spring help out with the compressor surge when shifting at lower boost levels? Anybody experiment with these springs?

I did try a spring from one of my ATP BOVs, but it is smaller than the Tial spring so I had to shim it quite a bit. It didn't work out so well because the ATP spring is so weak the Tial is completely open at idle and causes slow spoolup.

iTurbo
10-16-2006, 03:36 PM
I have ordered the Tial '7psi' spring. Hope it works better than the '11 psi' spring.

3Bar_Mopar
10-16-2006, 03:47 PM
My SRT buddies have the Tial and have had problems with the stock springs...they switched to the 7pound spring and it works great.

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Which model?

iTurbo
10-16-2006, 05:25 PM
I think they only make one BOV, the 50mm unit. I could be wrong though. It's the same one they sell at TU though. I'll get some pics of it when my new 7 psi spring gets here. That 11 psi spring is just crazy stiff.

1985ShlbyChrger
10-18-2006, 01:17 AM
Yes the TiAL comes with the 11 psi spring most of the time. The 11 usually will flutter at low boost levels. I had one on my Shadow at 10 psi and it fluttered. I never got the chance to put the 7 psi spring in. I sold it to Simon and he used it:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
10-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Yes, they do have different models. I did use the 50mm unit but my turbo can't flow enough around town so it chattered alot and under slight load, would leak big time so I sold it and put my Talon valve back on.

8valves
11-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Yes, they do have different models. I did use the 50mm unit but my turbo can't flow enough around town so it chattered alot and under slight load, would leak big time so I sold it and put my Talon valve back on.

You had a TiAL leak? Pretty sure that's next to impossible!

TiAL's are spring matched to the amount of vacuum your engine pulls- the 7 psi spring is a good match for most TD's. Even with that mine will surge under 5 psi releases, which is fine for me.

How did you have a TiAL leak?

AM

turbovanmanČ
11-26-2006, 05:50 PM
I guess I had the 11 psi spring in. Under light to medium load-IE part throttle, passing someone at other than WOT, you could hear it venting. My Talon valve doesn't do that.

iTurbo
11-26-2006, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised you had it leak with the 11 psi spring. Maybe the O-ring was damaged. I suppose the diaphram could wear out too; I wonder how durable that really is. But anyway, the 7 psi spring should be here tomorrow if my tracking # is accurate. Been waiting over a month for it!

turbovanmanČ
11-27-2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I'm surprised you had it leak with the 11 psi spring. Maybe the O-ring was damaged. I suppose the diaphram could wear out too; I wonder how durable that really is. But anyway, the 7 psi spring should be here tomorrow if my tracking # is accurate. Been waiting over a month for it!

It only leaked under medium throttle, at WOT, nothing.

iTurbo
11-28-2006, 09:06 PM
I got the 7psi (black) spring today and installed it. MUCH better! It now releases at lower boost levels and cut down on the part throttle surge.