PDA

View Full Version : Daytona V8 RWD conversion K-frame on e-bay

TurboOmni08
10-10-2006, 11:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-93-dodge-daytona-mopar-V8-conversion-not-barracuda_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42609QQihZ016 QQitemZ260038364260QQrdZ1

Part needed to stuff a v8 in a Daytona. Thought it was worth posting.

yogurt_slinger
10-11-2006, 12:32 AM
and for the rest of the kit go here.....
http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2006, 12:38 AM
This pic makes me horny, :eyebrows:

http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/87/d7/80_1.JPG

yogurt_slinger
10-11-2006, 12:42 AM
this makes me horny... its the --- end view of the daytona sitting in my driveway....:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2006, 12:47 AM
this makes me horny... its the --- end view of the daytona sitting in my driveway....:thumb:

What kind of Daytona?

BTW, your avatar needs to be changed or change yuor wording, :lol:

yogurt_slinger
10-11-2006, 12:53 AM
well, its a chrysler laser actually.... with the direct connection RWD kit... Think there would be any demand for the kit now?? been thinking of asking the vendors if they'd copy it..

Bryan

BadAssPerformance
10-11-2006, 12:59 AM
Is that the missing Blue R/T? :eek:

http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/Daytona1.gif

yogurt_slinger
10-11-2006, 01:03 AM
LOL, I wish.. It was on ebay not too long ago..........................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=230025593158&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

BadAssPerformance
10-11-2006, 08:32 AM
LOL, I remember whrn your car was on ebay, I meant the blue one ;)

j4278h
10-11-2006, 08:49 AM
The blue one was a v6 5speed iroc

not an r/t

Reaper1
10-11-2006, 01:02 PM
I've seen the blue RWD Daytona in person at Carlisle back in 2000(IIRC). VERY nice. You can't tell it's RWD unless it's running or you look under it or the hood.

The hood is custom by that guy too. He added a little bit of height to it to clear the air cleaner. Itis done so well that unless you REALLY know or have a stocker to compare it to you can't tell.

I bought my first A543(out of the car he converted) from him. Good guy to deal with. He's really nice and seems to know his stuff...

TurboOmni08
10-11-2006, 02:21 PM
How many blue R/Ts are there? Guy named Herb (I think thats his name) from td.com has one. I forget what year.

j4278h
10-11-2006, 03:09 PM
10 blue r/t 93 only

8 domestic
2 exported

bfarroo
10-15-2006, 10:03 PM
I've seen the blue RWD Daytona in person at Carlisle back in 2000(IIRC). VERY nice. You can't tell it's RWD unless it's running or you look under it or the hood.

The hood is custom by that guy too. He added a little bit of height to it to clear the air cleaner. Itis done so well that unless you REALLY know or have a stocker to compare it to you can't tell.

I bought my first A543(out of the car he converted) from him. Good guy to deal with. He's really nice and seems to know his stuff...

Looking at the pix it's a really clean car. I bet he spends a lot of money on rear tires! Need to send the stock wheels out to be widened. That would be a nice sleeper with a quiet exhaust on it.

Reaper1
10-15-2006, 10:43 PM
His one complaint at the time I talked to him was that it was too loud. Really it wasn't, but he wanted it a little quieter to make it more of a sleeper.

As far as the rear tires go...yeah...when I saw the car they were pretty worn down. He said he took it out as basically a rolling chassis when he got the engine in it just to see what it would to...he said it scared him! I could only imagine....

WickedShelby88
10-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Im thinking a magnum V8 with a custom intake and stand alone management would be sweet with a 6 speed and Custom IRS in a tona. The mazda RX7 rearend would be a good option. Hmm... I work at a machine shop and we have a TIG welder so theres no reason besides being flat broke that I couldnt build one of these things.

r00tcause
10-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Im thinking a magnum V8 with a custom intake and stand alone management would be sweet with a 6 speed and Custom IRS in a tona. The mazda RX7 rearend would be a good option. Hmm... I work at a machine shop and we have a TIG welder so theres no reason besides being flat broke that I couldnt build one of these things.

Exline sells a 3 link conversion for daytona rear suspension that allows the hanging of an E body 8 3/4. It's not IRS but its better than our stock setup and and its pre-fabricated, no major work!

I've considered a few times installing the kit in a lancer and using a dakota 2.5 commonblock with a 904 and gear vendors 6 speed auto add-on.

I just dont have anywhere to DO that work, otherwise, I'd get a temp daily car and convert the lancer.

yogurt_slinger
10-16-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from a vendor to see if they would copy my DC kit thats on my laser.. it *should* be much cheaper than his kit I would imagine, there really is not that much to it...

r00tcause
10-17-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from a vendor to see if they would copy my DC kit thats on my laser.. it *should* be much cheaper than his kit I would imagine, there really is not that much to it...

His kit isnt really that expensive.

How does the DC kit work btw? Whats different from exline's? I doubt most people have seen any detailed pics of the DC setup. I'd like to see some, esp the rear setup.

WickedShelby88
10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
The main thing with any kit though is your going to need to replace the stock frame rails. If you go the the exline site they have replaces the stockers with I believe they said 2" x 3" steel bar. I guess its not absolutely necessary but if you want it to look stock as far as ride height and outer appearance I would.

yogurt_slinger
10-17-2006, 04:27 PM
LOL, I wish.. It was on ebay not too long ago..........................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=230025593158&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Sean, this is the best pic there is straight out of the performance cat.. its just a simple engine support, a suspension k-member, and a very simple tranny crossmember.. this kit could be copied for fairly cheap, or for free if you know how to do minor fab and have some stock laying around..

My laser doesn't have anything to stiffen the chassis which is one thing I will do, once I get a motor in the thing and test drive it..

The rear end on mine is WAY simpler than exlines, but I think it def needs to be beefed up.. The guy I got the car from, cut off the rear straight axle setup off of the stock laser so that the only thing left was the two trailing arms and coil perches.. Then he just welded the a-body axle up to the trailing arms.. Very simple but, it needs to be beefed up cause it wasn't designed for it..

yogurt_slinger
10-17-2006, 04:49 PM
check post #8 for the pic.

I have the instructions for the rwd kit, the prev owner who did the work copied the pages he used, I have them scanned in..

Reaper1
10-21-2006, 04:30 PM
The thing about Exline's kit is that it uses all of your STOCK suspension components straight off the car. The MP one didn't, you had to go source certain things. The only thing that really has to be fabbed is the steering. Really his kit isn't expensive at all considering what it is, the workmanship invloved, and that is is readily available. Personally, if I wanted to doa RWD K-based car this is what I'd go with...

Birddog
10-21-2006, 10:10 PM
WOW!!!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/finallyflanagan/holiecraop.jpg
My Eagle sits lower than that!!!!!!!!! Reminds me of an old straight axle car.[EDIT:I LOVE IT!!!! BTW...]

That kit is something the aftermarket SHOULD be interested in. There are plenty of N/A FWD cars that could benefit! Probably see less Daytonas in the yards.....

speedyshelby
10-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Daytona would be cool if they have V8 but to much car. Need something that lighter than an L body with V8 like mine.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2442000-2442999/2442167_25_full.jpg
This a shot with the engine in and on it own weight. Btw the car with all options (back in the day) weighs around 2200 lbs and it still rwd. :lol:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2442000-2442999/2442167_31_full.jpg

Birddog
10-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Daytona would be cool if they have V8 but to much car.
This a shot with the engine in and on it own weight. Btw the car with all options (back in the day) weighs around 2200 lbs and it still rwd. :lol:

You compensate for weight by getting an engine with the distributor in the front!:D

Though an RWD L body does intrigue me.....
[Is that a Cricket??]

speedyshelby
10-22-2006, 10:11 AM
1977 Plymouth arrow. You can make up for not having a big block by adding a turbo off a 7.3 ford diesel which I got.

puppet
10-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Anyone ever toyed with the idea of swapping in a porsche 924/944 back-half into a TD?

Birddog
10-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Niiiice!!

r00tcause
10-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Sean, this is the best pic there is straight out of the performance cat.. its just a simple engine support, a suspension k-member, and a very simple tranny crossmember.. this kit could be copied for fairly cheap, or for free if you know how to do minor fab and have some stock laying around..

My laser doesn't have anything to stiffen the chassis which is one thing I will do, once I get a motor in the thing and test drive it..

The rear end on mine is WAY simpler than exlines, but I think it def needs to be beefed up.. The guy I got the car from, cut off the rear straight axle setup off of the stock laser so that the only thing left was the two trailing arms and coil perches.. Then he just welded the a-body axle up to the trailing arms.. Very simple but, it needs to be beefed up cause it wasn't designed for it..

The whole "kit" is a bit ghetto. I dont like how that motor sits either. (presumably it must sit that way because of the power steering) Also, the rear suspension solution is crazy. it won't hold a lot of power that way and it raises the car to 4x4 height.

rbryant
10-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Anyone ever toyed with the idea of swapping in a porsche 924/944 back-half into a TD?

Merkurs also had a decent IFS rear from what I understand. I see lots of those at the yards.

Why aren't we thinking about a RWD 16 valve conversion here? This is a turbo board afterall. A 2.4 converstion wouldn't have the weight problems that a V8 does and there should be room for a turbo and intake if mounted for RWD.

-Rich

dds78910
10-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Here is a pic of a 8v RWD conversion I always liked.
http://www.sdsefi.com/features/dodge1.jpg
http://morris.accesszone.com/rwdadapter/images/PB140012.jpg

yogurt_slinger
10-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Why aren't we thinking about a RWD 16 valve conversion here? This is a turbo board afterall. A 2.4 converstion wouldn't have the weight problems that a V8 does and there should be room for a turbo and intake if mounted for RWD.

-Rich
I have a spirit R/T as a parts car for a reason:eyebrows:

yogurt_slinger
10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
The whole "kit" is a bit ghetto. I dont like how that motor sits either. (presumably it must sit that way because of the power steering) Also, the rear suspension solution is crazy. it won't hold a lot of power that way and it raises the car to 4x4 height.
well, considering the kit takes a fwd car and makes it a rwd car which the car wasn't designed for, then yeah I guess its ghetto.. its a start though..

I still don't know how the suspension will handle really, the front is stock, and the rear is fairly stock.. I can't wait to get a motor in her and test drive her.