PDA

View Full Version : Homemade starter wrap

TurboOmni08
10-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Guys,
I made a wrap for my starter when I did the transmission on my van. I simply wrapped the starter all the way around with that 3in wide 3/4in thick fiberglass pipe wrap from the hardware store. It has a vinyl back. So I decided I should wrap that over again with aluminum tape. Does this sound ok and safe? I drove it for two weeks before it broke down again :censored: with no problems, or fires :D I just figured I would share, because it works well and cost me less then $10. I still have enough to do 2 more starters. So 3 starters worth of wrap for $10. Thats the TD way!

WVRampage
10-10-2006, 09:01 PM
The fiberglass could get oil soaked if you have a leak.Show us some pics to see how it looks.

butchsuppe
10-11-2006, 12:19 AM
I did basicly the same thing you did about 6 mos. ago, no problem so far. But I also covered that with a metal heat sheild.:thumb:

TurboOmni08
10-11-2006, 12:21 AM
O there is a leak back there...lol. I have to pull the tranny again so when I do I will snap some. It looks alot like the OEM piece, only all the way around the starter.

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2006, 03:18 AM
Hmmmmmmmm, $10 more and you get the DEI heatshield which won't get oil soaked or catch fire. How do I know, been using one for over 3 years, :thumb:

TurboOmni08
10-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I couldn't get the DEI or any other wrap and I needed it ASAP. I looked at the stock shield, which is just aluminum tape with fiberglass inside, so I made my own.

Parts from "Do-It Best" hardware-
http://media.mydoitbest.com/imagerequest.aspx?sku=534933&size=0&warehouse=C
"Vinyl backed fiberglass insulation eliminates the need for a separate vapor barrier. 1" thick, long fiber material provides excellent 3.7 R value and high tensile strength. 3" x 25'."

Aluminum duct tape - we all know what that is and looks like.

The only thing that bothers me was the "vinyl backing" It is wrapped in tape, but it is a really thin layer and I am worried about it melting or catching fire. Its wrapped in the aluminum tape, so it outta be safe. What is the danger of oil leaking? Is it any more then with the stock unit? Which was oil soaked, or at least "oily" when I removed it.

altered7151
10-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Hmmmmmmmm, $10 more and you get the DEI heatshield which won't get oil soaked or catch fire. How do I know, been using one for over 3 years, :thumb:

Thats what I have and its definitally the way to go. Figure you saved $10, but now you have to re-wrap it and/or pull the starter, and not having to do that is well worth $10 to me :eyebrows:

TurboOmni08
10-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Thats what I have and its definitally the way to go. Figure you saved $10, but now you have to re-wrap it and/or pull the starter, and not having to do that is well worth $10 to me :eyebrows:

I have to pull the starter because my transmission took a dump, not because of this. But I see where you guys are coming from. I'm gonna get the DEI for my Daytona, but it won't all of a sudden need to go back together, I will have time to order.

ottawa rogue
10-14-2006, 10:28 AM
that's pretty much what i did, 1" wide DEI tape wrapped around the starter and solenoid, and then covered with a metal heat shield. so far, so good