PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else driving their SRT in the snow?

slasky
12-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Mine seems to run really well in the snow with the cheap snow tires I have. Am I the only one destroying their car with salt?

Subliminal
12-20-2005, 02:52 PM
You know, I almost bought an SRT4 this past year for a daily driver. Being FWD made it an option, as it could be driven in the snow. Honestly, other that manufacturing cost (which i assume would be lower with FWD), snow and bad road conditions would be the only reason for fwd cars. The salt is a bit of a bummer, but cars seem to be almost impervious to rust these days (new ones), as long as they are properly taken care of.

All that being said, I didn't end up buying one because I live in Jersey, and insurance on that car alone would have been $2k. I currently pay $1800 for a 02 nissan, a 94 Lightning, and an 86 GTS. Soooo...that doesn't answer your question, but there it is anyhow. ;)

HotRodDodge
12-20-2005, 03:35 PM
I drive my SRT all year, but i have about 500lbs of oil spray on it for the winter, looks like crap all winter but come spring i wash it off and throw the rims back on and im good to go!

J&H Ryan
12-20-2005, 05:40 PM
What is this oil stuff? Like you, so long as my car makes it through the winter, I don't care what it looks like in the process!

Aries_Turbo
12-20-2005, 07:37 PM
he might be talking about spraying the car, the underbelly especially, with oil... i myself use a mix of motor honey and 40wt non detergent tractor oil from TSC sprayed from a modified harbor freight undercoating gun. use an old M1 oil bottle modded to hold the oil. you gotta mess with the pressure on the compressor so the oil comes out alright. it goes on like snot but covers well soon after.

scott, you wanna get in on the oilfest next year before winter hits? steve and i sprayed the crap outta the winter beater.

Damon, rust is guaranteed in western ny. i used to live in PA and cars last about 10 years longer than they do where I am now. there is SOOOOO much salt on the roads. theyll just dump like 200lbs of salt at an intersection and leave the pile there. it sucks. there is a HUGE salt mine about 20 min from my house.

Brian

8valves
12-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Supposedly they use some liquid deal here at school in Ohio. I don't like the idea, since then the liquid get sthrown up into all the nooks and crannies of your car. A lot of the intructors say they can practically hear their car rusting away! Not sure if it's any more or less corrossive, but it still sucks none the less.

Aaron Miller

TurboGLH
12-20-2005, 09:14 PM
I drive mine all year round, but after last years adventures in snow I got a set of snows for it. Much better to drive now, not so deadly.

CSX321
12-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Mine is seeing it's first real winter, since I just moved from TX to IL. I've got stock wheels and '03 tires on there at the moment. I drove it once in the snow, and it was scary! I have the stock wheels so I can put some winter tires on, though.

HotRodDodge
12-21-2005, 10:24 AM
What is this oil stuff? Like you, so long as my car makes it through the winter, I don't care what it looks like in the process!

It's a wax based oil that gets sprayed on the car, i did the whole bottom with black rust proof and all the door jams and engine compartment with wax oil, looks like poo all winter but can be cleaned off in the spring with a pressure washer.

contraption22
12-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Buying a cheap beater neon for the winter is almost the same price as winter wheels/tires.

slasky
12-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Buying a cheap beater neon for the winter is almost the same price as winter wheels/tires.

I don't have any room for more cars. One of the reasons I bought the srt is so that when something breaks on it, I get it fixed for free for the next 7 years. Besides, I hardly have time to work on my charger and wife's car. I figured we needed at least one new reliable car.

sweetcorn_w00t
12-22-2005, 12:07 PM
I have been driving my 2k5 this winter, and it's been interesting. It has the stock KDWs on it, and they don't do too bad, they aren't like the Azenis on my first gen Neon, which just spin.

TurboGLH
12-23-2005, 09:20 AM
I have been driving my 2k5 this winter, and it's been interesting. It has the stock KDWs on it, and they don't do too bad, they aren't like the Azenis on my first gen Neon, which just spin.

That's good. The pilot sports on my 03' were dangerous, really dangerous. It handled like it had ski's attached to all four wheels instead of tires.

Una
12-23-2005, 07:26 PM
I'd imagine the Quaife really helps out in the snow..

HiggySRT
12-23-2005, 08:28 PM
This will be my second winter driving my 04'. I have 16" PT steelies with BF Goodrich traction T/A all seasons for my winter set up and have yet to have a problem even driving in snow as high as the front lip. The LSD really helps out IMO, my old second gen was --- in the snow even with winter tires.

Hope that helps.....

boostinhardsrt
01-18-2006, 07:30 PM
I have been driving mine in the snow so far this year. I originally wasnt driving it in the winter, but i just missed it too much. But, the stock tires do blow when there is almost any snow on the ground, but it doesnt really get that bad here.

SRTMikey
02-26-2006, 06:59 PM
I drive my '05 all year round, she's my daily driver. We haven't had any snow this year, but if we do I'll just take our minivan. I've managed to wash my SRT a couple of times so far this winter, so it isn't too dirty.;)

slasky
02-27-2006, 10:21 PM
My srt does better in the snow than my pathfinder ever did. I passed a 4wd truck in the snow the other day. When we stopped at the light he was looking out the window at my wheels. I think he was shocked that he was slipping all over and then I just pass by him like the road was dry.

Keito
02-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Supposedly they use some liquid deal here at school in Ohio. I don't like the idea, since then the liquid get sthrown up into all the nooks and crannies of your car. A lot of the intructors say they can practically hear their car rusting away! Not sure if it's any more or less corrossive, but it still sucks none the less.

Aaron Miller

Shoot, you should go to Cleveland.
My wife drives there every day, they mix the deicer with molasses.
My garage floor is black by April, and is getting eaten up quick.
Luckily this year is an exception, my daughter was born in January,
so my wife is off for a few months.
(and my SRT sits in the garage till April)

MoundsViewMadMan
03-07-2006, 12:57 AM
yeah i drive mine in the minnesota winter its rough on the stock tires but my winter beater took a dump soo im stuck.

Silver_surfer
03-18-2006, 02:52 PM
I put 215 45 17 Pirelli P zero nero m+s (geeze that's a lot to type!) on my SRT-4 and it did great the first few winters. now that they have 27k on them.... not so good!

looneytuner
03-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Snow????

WVRampage
03-26-2006, 09:18 PM
With the stock wheels and tires I got caught in a snow storm in the mountains and figuring it would drive about like my neon I traded in to get the SRT and wow was a surprised that bogging the engine alot and the boost came in and tires spinning it was the longest trip I have ever made over the mountians and the ABS on the car cause me a lot of trouble,I changed out to the wheels and tires I had on my rampage for the next weekend when i was going to ohio and it was supose to snow and i slid sideways trying to get in to the hotel parking lot and hit a cavy(bent the drives side rear and bumper cracked the body shop said it was about 900 dollars damage)my insurance company droped me and I couldnt get insurance on a "sports car"so i ended up trading it on something cheap on insurance and wow do I miss it. I had a K&N filter in it and it ran a 13.97@101.3 realy miss that.

89t2baron
03-27-2006, 01:57 PM
wow thats a sad story, i'm surprised you couldn't get coverage over a 900 dollar incident. i've heard of some guys insuring their srt as a regular neon. but i don't know how they do it.

WVRampage
03-28-2006, 12:48 AM
wow thats a sad story, i'm surprised you couldn't get coverage over a 900 dollar incident. i've heard of some guys insuring their srt as a regular neon. but i don't know how they do it.
Geiko wanted 12000 a year to insure me,Its on my Rampage is about in the same class as it is now.