PDA

View Full Version : Holy Oil Starvation Batman......

ShelbyMotorsports
10-10-2006, 04:13 PM
From an ebay auction:

This system was created by relentless racing to protect big $$$ turbos being installed in FAST turbo and shelby Dodge vehicles. All parts are included and install is self explanatory with SS braided lines and AN fittings. It installs between the oil pressure block on the front of the motor and runs directly to the turbo to filter all turbo oil prior to hitting those precise bearings..

Can anyone say major oil starvation to the turbo when the filter is changed.

Did this really come from Gary?

MiniMopar
10-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Yeah, it looks familiar. It's a simple bypass oil filter relocation kit like Amsoil sells for their bypass filter. Yeah, you definitely want to load up the filter with oil before installing.

Frank
10-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Ya that is his, but how are you going to have massive oil starvation in the turbo when you change the filter? If I start the car after changing it, that filter is going to fill up faster then the turbo can eat the left over oil in the lines and journal, especially since it can't turn. It is no different then letting the car sit for a week and starting it up.

Frank

ShelbyMotorsports
10-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Ya that is his, but how are you going to have massive oil starvation in the turbo when you change the filter?

Because it's plumbed into the turbo oil feed line. Think about how long it's going to take to fill and pressurize an empty FL1A oil filter before one single drop of oil makes it to the turbo.

Frank
10-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Ummm, I dont think it will take long at all. Plus the turbo is barely spinning when you start it and at idle.

Frank

WVRampage
10-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Well you should fill the filter before you put it on like most do anyways.

BadAssPerformance
10-10-2006, 08:11 PM
I have run a similar setup for a few years on my Z, bought off a guy who had it on his Dakota.

No issues at all, and I do fill the filter with oil before installation.

I got is so that if the motor went away that the turbo would get saved...

Force Fed Mopar
10-10-2006, 08:19 PM
After seeing what happened to t3rse's turbo because of a filter, I don't want any filter at all in mine. Trashed up oil is better than no oil at all.

Chris W
10-10-2006, 08:26 PM
After seeing what happened to t3rse's turbo because of a filter, I don't want any filter at all in mine. Trashed up oil is better than no oil at all.

One of T3rse's filter was clogged which caused the failure. We would only recommend running a single filter in line. If the filter is checked/cleaned every oil change it's a very effective safety net.

Chris-TU

Force Fed Mopar
10-10-2006, 08:37 PM
One of T3rse's filter was clogged which caused the failure. We would only recommend running a single filter in line. If the filter is checked/cleaned every oil change it's a very effective safety net.

Chris-TU

Yeah, well I guess it's okay, kind of like a double edged sword to me though, if the engine blows it can save the turbo, but if it gets clogged from something stupid like his did then you lose the turbo.

Chris W
10-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah, well I guess it's okay, kind of like a double edged sword to me though, if the engine blows it can save the turbo, but if it gets clogged from something stupid like his did then you lose the turbo.

I don't believe he cleaned/checked it evey oil change. Besides, if THAT much debris is in the system that it clogs the turbo filter then your engine is probably already thrashed. Our filters hold alot of debris. Your engine would seize before the filter ever fully clogged up.

Chris-TU

WVRampage
10-10-2006, 08:55 PM
The oilfilter mount is avalible at summit for 13 bucks and could easily be put in the system using the same filters as the engine,it would be cheap insurance in the end.

ShelbyMotorsports
10-10-2006, 10:06 PM
I would have no problem running a screen filter like the one below that TU sells but sorry folks I would never run a half to three quarter quart spin on oil filter in my turbo feed line.

Besides spin on cannister oil filters do not filter 100% of the oil.

Frank
10-10-2006, 10:11 PM

Very true!

MiniMopar
10-11-2006, 01:50 AM

At the rate the oil flows through that -4AN tube, I doubt it is enough to open the bypass valve on a standard oil filter. I went with the TU inline because it is small and out of the way.

dirttrackdemon
10-12-2006, 06:43 PM
This is a simple fix for all of this. UNPLUG THE COIL WIRE AND TURN OVER THE ENGINE UNTIL THE OIL LIGHT GOES OUT OR THERE IS PRESSURE ON THE GAUGE, then plug the coil wire back in. Problem solved.

ShelbyMotorsports
10-12-2006, 10:20 PM
This is a simple fix for all of this. UNPLUG THE COIL WIRE AND TURN OVER THE ENGINE UNTIL THE OIL LIGHT GOES OUT OR THERE IS PRESSURE ON THE GAUGE, then plug the coil wire back in. Problem solved.

That may build oil pressure but it doesn't solve the secondary problem of a certain percentage of the oil going thru the by-pass and not being filtered.

Using a disposable spin on canister oil filter in the turbo oil feed line is just not the most thought out "tip". A screen filter and/or more frequent oil changes would be much better.

Ondonti
10-13-2006, 05:54 PM
If you are reving your motor to get the turbo to start spinning very fast right as you start up from an oil change, you deserve every problem that occurs after.

MiniMopar
10-13-2006, 07:04 PM
I still don't think any oil is going to bypass the filter, given the amount of flow through that tiny tube versus the amount of flow that a normal oil filter is designed to provide..

WVRampage
11-07-2006, 05:48 PM
For the money what filter option is the best,I have all the lines and fitings to install the both types of filter and wanting the best for the money....

Speedeuphoria
11-07-2006, 09:03 PM
try this one
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EAR%2D230304ERL&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Chris W
11-07-2006, 09:12 PM
try this one
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EAR%2D230304ERL&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Unless Earl's has changed the screen filters on these they in no way compare to our cartridge filter. We ordered a few of the Earls type back when we were first comparing filters and theirs was a small single round screen inside. Actual filtering surface area was extrememly small. They didn't even advertise a micron size.

Chris-TU

CSX321
11-07-2006, 09:35 PM
There's a better and easier way to build oil pressure... Just hold the accelerator to the floor while cranking. The computer will not fire the injectors, assuming you are trying to correct a flooded condition. If you unplug the coil wire, wouldn't you be spraying gas into the cylinders?

mcsvt
11-08-2006, 03:29 PM
If you unplug the HEP then you get no spark and no fuel as well.

WVRampage
11-09-2006, 07:50 AM
I still want to know for the money what way is the best as I dont have much cash anymore.